Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Great Planes CUB ARF.. Anything to look out for??

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Great Planes CUB ARF.. Anything to look out for??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Unstable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes CUB ARF.. Anything to look out for??

I just put on layaway a Great Planes Piper Cub and was wondering if anyone has had experience with this model.
I am getting a saito 4 stroke for it (yeah I know its probably a little strong for it but I like power )

I just want to know if there is anything to look out for while bulding/ flying.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Chris "Unstable Boy" DeBlass
Old 03-22-2002, 10:39 PM
Slowbatics

I just completed a Great Plains 60 size. I wish I had built a Sig cub as their kits are of a better quality. The Goldberg also gets good reviews. The die cutting on the GP cub is poor requiring a lot of sanding.
My biggest dissapointment was in the flying. I have an os 91 4 stroke which has plenty of power for this plane even with all the lead I had to put in the nose. My plane wants to do a snap roll at the top of a loop. I havent tried a flat spin or roll yet as I only have 2 flihjts on it. It requires a lot of rudder coordination for take off, which I hear is typical of the cub. It does not slow down very fast on landing aproach.
Maybe its me .Maybe I'll like the plane more as i get used to it. I have a Saito 130td twin bolted on it right now but i think it will be way too much power.
Good luck with yours.

ps
I've been building planes for about 35 years now so Im not new to die crunch and kit building.
Old 03-24-2002, 04:59 AM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default GP CUBS

I have the GP ARF and flew it quit a bit last summer, I had a ding last fall and have not repaired it. The Saito 80 will work just fine, I have the Saito 72 in mine. The only "bad " thing about the ARF is the strut Mounts, The use Gap-less Hinges for the mounts and they will break in short time. I replaced the fiber Hinge with Durbro Giant Scale hinges. The wing is a one peace , I was considering making it a two peace by simple not joining them but mounting the same way. Just for looks I painted the Cabin area black, and install the insterment panel before the wind shield. Also the Landing gear sucks, it works and I haven't changed mine but I don't like the foam tires ot the way the struts are built, theres only one strut and the yellow pare it just rubber Banded on and screwed to the Fuse. I will replace it completly some time with a more scale gear, the Hanger 9 has a better Landing gear but I like the GP Airplane a little better.

Mine flys just great, the 72 will do Knofe edge, inverted , inside and outside loops, Take off is Cub like, just gradually give power and she will track just fine. It is not a trainer so it dosen't land like a Sig LT40 , a little power on untill you are over the runway and close it slowly, 3 pointers are very possible you wil need to find the sweet spot. Make it a little nose heavy to start out. The .72 will not take it straight up for very long so I dought the 80 will do a whole lot better but maybe a little.

The GP 60 kit is larger than the ARF , it is almost 1/4 scale 90" vs 81" and wider core. A 90 4 stroke is still above scale but a friend of mine flew is with a 120 and it did fine, The 130T will actually have a little less power than a 120 single so it will not be grossly overpowered, the best thing about using a larger engine is you can fly at 1/4 or 1/3 trottle .
Old 06-21-2002, 06:54 PM
Kalos
My Feedback: (2)

Default GP ARF 80"

This plane has been a blast. I have a OS 70 Surpass on it and wouldnt even think about having a smaller engine. Flies great and want to talk about some AWESOME low slow passes!!!!!!!
No complaints other than the way the struts are mounted. A little extra time on that and you have a great Sunday flyer. People just love to watch a Cub fly.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:30 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I have the GP Cub with an OS52 in it and it flies great. I had a Saito 80 in it but it was to much torque on take off, the plane wanted to flip right over. I fly the 52 at half throttlr and it is very scale like. One thing though the plane doesn't want to land.
Old 06-28-2002, 02:02 PM
Unstable

heh this thread is a little old

I acually got a Hanger 9 cub instead.. and the .80 was perfect in it.

until i lost it due to radio failure.

I still have the saito sitting on the shelf waiting for something to put it in.. I might even get a new cub for it (I really like the H9 Cub... really well built

but right now money is tight (real tight) so it will sit for a few months
Old 01-01-2003, 01:15 AM
Ivalej1

how would the great planes 40 size arf fly with a O.S. .46FX?
Old 01-02-2003, 02:49 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

It should fly great, I have an OS 52 4c in mine. I didn't go 2c cause I didn't want that ugly muffler hanging out the side.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:26 AM
Ivalej1

thanks