Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Long Island RC pilots

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 11:21 PM
skyman-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Island RC pilots

Hi all:

I've just moved from Raleigh NC to Suffolk county on Long Island. I need to find some active RC folks and a good air field as soon as possible. I've not yet tried the local hobby shop, not found one yet. Anyone out there who might be able to help?

Thanks

Nick
Old 06-09-2003, 09:43 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Hey Nick
Take a look here>
http://modelaircraft.org/templates/a...D7E38FBBD183C2

Best of luck up there.

Doug
Old 06-09-2003, 01:41 PM
mjd3

Hi Skyman - I grew up in Suffolk. There are a few out there; check the AMA website.

I lived in Farmingville - LIE Exit 63 - Where-abouts are you?
Old 06-10-2003, 11:04 PM
skyman-RCU

Hi Michael:

Right now we are renting an apartment in Bellport. I'm working in Shirley and hope to buy a house in the Wading River area. Any where within about 30 or 45 minutes will be great. Where to do fly? Hopefully the weather will get a little better so we can have a good flying summer.

Nick
Old 06-19-2003, 01:11 PM
pullup
My Feedback: (3)

Hey guys, we have a field just north of Gabreski airport in Westhampton, about 30min east of Bellport, run by the suffolk falcons, Take the WHB exit off 27E and its a dirt road on the left.
Two runways paved. Nice bunch of guys, mostly sport flyers.
Weekends and Wed mornings weather permiting. Or the Skyhawks in manorville on the sod farms. they are mostly Large , Scale masters caliber models
Old 06-21-2003, 01:38 AM
cdsmith

Default flying field options.......

First of all, check out this hobby shop: www.brucknerhobbies.com

I fly @ the Rockland County Radio Control Club.

We are near the Palisades mall, right off of hwy. 287.

Check out our club's website.

www.rcrcc.com

If I can be of any assistance to you, please let me know.

C. Smith
Old 06-22-2003, 04:41 PM

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-03-2003, 03:13 AM
Hanger Rat

Welcome to New York. First of all you should understand that all those bad things you heard about New Yorkers are true.
You have just been given a few leads to flying sites.
Number one. Westchester.. might be a great club but from mid long Island you will need your own gas station plus tolls each way

Number two. Ceder creek. This place is an on going accident. If total disregard for field rules and mid airs are your thing this place will appeal to you.

Skyhawks. Ah yes the skyhawks. The skyhawks has a waiting list with an average wait of two years. You need a sponsor to get you on the waiting list . If and when you get in you will pay $210 per year dues which is mostly for field upkeep and this is probably the best field on Long Island. You will then have the dubious pleasure of flying with some of the most talented builders in the hobby but who mostly have the personalities of a bag of wet hammers. Incidentlly your airplanes must be 1/4 scale or larger. No gliders, No helicopters, No turbines No training.
I was going to add No smiling but that would not be exactly true at least till the next rules update.

You only hope is the Liars who happen to be all that the Skyhawks are not. Their field is not the greatest. It is town maintained and dues are about $30 per year. You can fly anything you want, any color or shape and from the members I have talked to you will be treated in a friendly manner.
http://www.LIARSRC.con

Good luck
Old 07-03-2003, 01:40 PM
M Gill

Nick,

If you like warbirds, get in touch with the Long Island chapter of the World Miniature Warbirds Association.

Mace Gill
The Aeroplane Works
http://www.theaeroplaneworks.com
Old 10-02-2003, 06:21 PM
EU1a
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Long Island RC pilots

Hi Nick,

You could also give [link=http://suffolkaeromodelers.org/]The Suffolk Aero Modelers[/link] a visit. We fly out of Heckscher State Park Field 9.

I also think "Hanger Rat" might be one of those New Yorkers you hear bad things about. I feel lucky to be a member of the Skyhawks. I've never experience such a concentration of high caliber modelers. If scale is your thing, The Skyhawks main focus is scale. I come from a pattern background, and haven't yet begun to compete in scale. But when I do, I'm glad that I have such a large pool of experts, who would go out of their way to make my airplane better.

The dues are high, the wait is long, and the club is focused on scale. But if you want to pursue scale competition, I believe the club will raise your game. And they are a great bunch of guys.

So are the LIARS and so are the Suffolk Aero Modelers. These are the only clubs I can comment on because I belong to them. But every model airplane club is great. They must be, we all fly. And the LIARS always have great bus trips to airplane museums.

Good Luck, Let us know where you land.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:51 PM
RCPat
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Nick:

Welcome to New York. Are you sure you want to stay here? Just kidding. You are in Bellport and guess what? There's a nice flying field right in your neighborhood.

If you are traveling East on Sunrise Hwy, get off at Station Road and continue through the traffic light. Continue on the service road and follow the road as it bends around to the right. Make your first left turn and go down the block. The flying field is on the right side. They have 2 runways - 1 North/South & 1 East/West - and they are paved.

Good Luck

Pat
Old 10-02-2003, 06:53 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: skyman-RCU

Hi all:

I've just moved from Raleigh NC to Suffolk county on Long Island. I need to find some active RC folks and a good air field as soon as possible. I've not yet tried the local hobby shop, not found one yet. Anyone out there who might be able to help?

Thanks

Nick

You can find clubs on RCU using our club locator.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/clubs/