Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Is this dumb?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 03:45 AM
Xyzzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this dumb?

I know, if I have to ask, it probably is...

Here is the story...

There is this guy who owes me a little under $2K... He has owed it to me for a few months and I'm getting the feeling that I'm never going to see it... Every time we talk he tells me how he is trying 24x7 to find a way to pay me, but it never pans out... In fact, I've pretty much figured the money is lost... Most of the time I can't even get him to call me back or answer the phone...

Anyways, I talked to him this weekend and he suggested I let him buy me a new radio and some other stuff on his credit cards... I don't feel too comfortable with this... I pay cash for everything because then I own everything outright... On the other hand, maybe a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, if you know what I mean...

I'm concerned about the legal and moral aspects of this... Something just doesn't feel right...

What should I do?
Old 06-09-2003, 03:55 AM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

Default Is this dumb?

Let him buy it for you, but make sure you get in writing that it was a gift and that you owe him nothing. I don't know jack about how lawful that would be, but seems like it would keep you out of any possible trouble.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:14 AM
Divesplat
My Feedback: (7)

Default Is this dumb?

Seems to me, 2K in $$ or trade for equal value, assuming you can use and want the trade equals out. People have posts for trades all the time.

It actually is not a concern to you how the merchandise is acquired, as long as legal(not stolen.) All a person really knows is it was a trade. He is trading a debt to you for one to the credit card company. he still has to deal with it.

If you need 2K worth of merchandise, I say go for it. I would make sure to get some sort of reciept though just to prevent some notion of inpropriety, should it come up.

On the other hand you might suggest $20-50/payday or what he can afford same as he would have to do on the credit card, until the debt is paid.

Good luck

ed
Old 06-09-2003, 11:37 AM
SDR-Hammer

Default Is this dumb?

He owes you about 2k and you would like to have the cash right? One ask him if he is willing to use his credit card to pay off his debt suggest a from the card cash advance. Or if you would have spent the 2k on R/C stuff any way go ahead and take the deal. Your essentially paying cash for it anyhow, it’s no different than if he paid you cash and you turned around and gave the cash back for some merchandise he had. If he defaults on his credit card bill, that’s his responsibility not yours. Unless there is more to the story than we’re hearing?
Old 06-09-2003, 01:04 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Is this dumb?

I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Let him owe the credit card company. You have pretty much already written him off as a bad debt that won't be collected, so whatever you get is gravy.

Just make sure the equipment he buys is new and not used.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Default Is this dumb?

Absoutly let him pay you any "way" "shape" or "form".
No doubt about it.

Get as much as possible, as quick as possible, before the credit cards are used up paying someone else.

At least you have something to show for it.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:36 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Default Is this dumb?

And if you would rather have cash, perhaps have him pick you up a couple of things that you can then turn around and sell... DA 100's are pretty popular right now.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:01 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Default Is this dumb?

I would offer him this: pay you back 1k, cash advance from his credit card.......this way, you've got cash in your hand instead of rc equipment that you may not need, and don't have to worry about him possibly trying to defraud the credit card company while you're in possession of the goods.......ie, "I didn't order that"

Mike
Old 06-09-2003, 05:45 PM
Xyzzy

Default Is this dumb?

Thanks for the input!

Good thing the money he owes me isn't my rent or grocery money! (The $ came from my "hobby" fund.)

My biggest concern would be if I got a new radio or engine would I be able to register it as the owner? I doubt I will have a bill of sale since it will be a "gift"... What if I need warranty service?

Since I know he can't pay me, it is likely he can't pay his bills, so what are the chances that someday I'll be flying and some repo guy will come out to the field and take my stuff back? I just want to own it free and clear, just as if he had paid me cash and I bought it outright...

One thing is for certain... Money sure can ruin anything!
Old 06-09-2003, 06:24 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is this dumb?

I'm wondering how you could let him rack-up a 2k bill???
Old 06-09-2003, 09:19 PM
Xyzzy

Default Is this dumb?

Originally posted by CHassan
I'm wondering how you could let him rack-up a 2k bill???
Well, it is a long story, but it involves family (sort of) so you know how weird crap like this can get...

I figure when it is all said and done, the people who are do good will get their just reward and the people who are parasites will get theirs...
Old 06-10-2003, 01:42 AM
planecrazy101

Default Is this dumb?

Try to get him to get a cash advance. You spend it how and when you want, and nobody's to say what he did with it.