Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Shipping aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Boeing
My Feedback: (145)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping aircraft

I don't understand the business I see in so many of the ads on RCU that advertise an airplane for sale and then say they will not ship - even if it is a NIB airplane.
I have shipped large scale warbirds to South America, East Coast, West Coast for eight years without a spect of problem. The seller needs to realize that if they advertise "local pick up only", they are greatly reducing the number of potential buyers. If you are going to advertise on RCU - which is a world-wide web, then you need to be able to deliever the goods - one way or another.
If I should see an aircraft that I really, really would like to purchase, but the seller says "local pick-up only", I tend to mark the ad "No Sale" because I really do not think the seller is all that interested in selling the aircraft.
It would be like going to your local Ford dealer to buy a new F-150 and the dealer says "Sure we can sell you the F-150, BUT you will need to drive to Detroit to pick it up" because we can't ship". And we all know that they can ship if they want to close the sale.

There, I've said my piece and got something off my chest that has bugged me for some time.

Cheers, Boeing
Old 02-25-2009, 07:50 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Shipping aircraft

I imagine that any reasonably intelligent person selling on RCU would realize that marking an item local pickup will reduce their number of potential buyers. They also probably realize that there is always a chance that someone may be traveling through their area and would be willing to pick up the item. Therefore, RCU is still a viable advertising venue. I wish I had a nickel for every time I have seen that happen.

Sometimes it is simply cost prohibitive to ship an airplane even if it is new in box. You would be surprised how many prospective buyers will make an offer on an item without a clue how much shipping will cost. Even if you marked it "buyer pays actual shipping to be determined at closing" you don't want to "lock up" with a potential buyer only to find out that he doesn't want to pay the shipping charges. Seen that happen too! If an airplane is only worth $100 but is fairly large, total shipping costs could easily top the price of the plane. So, who in their right mind would pay $100 to ship a $100 airplane across the country? On the other hand, if a buyer gets that airplane for $100 and only has to drive a few miles to get it they feel like they got a good deal and rightly so.

What bugs me are the people who get PO'd at a seller because he doesn't want to ship when there is probably a good reason not to ship. Those are the same people who would gripe about the shipping cost if that seller did ship the item!

Brian
Old 02-26-2009, 09:58 AM
KW_Counter

Fireman,
Good Response.
I shop Ebay quite a bit and there are people there whose shipping policies I abhor.
My solution, I don't do business with them. That's all.
I don't try and change their way of thinking or tell them how to run their business.
It is their business, they decide how to run it.
If they succeed then "Good."
If they fail "Oh well."
Just my two cents,
KW_Counter
Old 02-26-2009, 05:54 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Agree 100%. I don't understand why some people want to make a simple thing hard!

Brian
Old 02-26-2009, 06:02 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: Boeing
.................. I tend to mark the ad "No Sale" because .............
What does marking an ad "No Sale" do?
Old 03-13-2009, 07:19 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a lot of people have no idea how cheap a plane can be shipped via greyhound. i've bought several and had them shipped that way.