Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

CA Oops

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:51 PM
aglaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Oops

I want to THANK whoever it was that told the story about squirting CA into their ear while trying to hear if the bottle was plugged.. I always used to do the same thing, but after reading the article, I keep the bottle pointed safely over my shoulder, but can still hear the air coming out.. Well, tonight I found the bottle was NOT plugged and proceeded to squirt CA all over my shoulder, ruining a perfectly good t shirt. I am just REALLY glad it wasn't pointed at my ear.. Rcuniverse saves me from another potential disaster!!
Old 03-20-2009, 12:54 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CA Oops

lol...how about the one where the guy kept CA in an eye drop dispenser
Old 03-20-2009, 07:05 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to hear that the safety advice you read about was practiced and learned from. CA is a great glue, but a person still needs to be careful in it's use. Thanks for sharing your experiance, Dave
Old 03-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Clay Walters

Some 25 years ago one of my little girls received a toy vacuum cleaner that was battery operated. When turned on the motor turned a small impeller like gear that made enough air movement to inflate the bag. But her's didn't.

Discovering that the impeller was loose on the shaft I was able to use the CA and long tip to reach in and dribble a little on the shaft and let it run down into the impeller. A few seconds later I turned it on while watching to see if the impeller would now turn properly. It did.

It also slung CA into my eye. Fortunately my wife was home and I used my hand to hold my eye open and not blink while she gathered up the kids and drove me to the nearest hospital. Needless to say holding your eye open for this long isn't pleasant.

The ER docs irrigated my eye for 10 minutes and that was the end of it thankfully. They told me that gluing my eye shut wasn't much of an issue since CA isn't waterproof and the bond wouldn't have lasted long. The greater risk was the abrasive particles that would result when all the droplets hardened up. Some of them could have been in inaccessible places, difficult to see and locate.

Atleast the little vacuum entertained my daughter for a while after.

Regards,

Clay
Old 03-20-2009, 06:35 PM
outdoorhunting

More safety advice. After reading these posts,I thought of something. Don't ever, ever use CA while building your plane naked !!!!!!! I know, I'm a very twisted person to even think about something like that !!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:32 AM
slopoke
My Feedback: (16)

I squeezed my ca applicator that seemed a little stopped up. It broke loose and hit my new pickup on the door. took $300 for the body man to clean it off.

Slopoke
Old 03-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: slopoke

I squeezed my ca applicator that seemed a little stopped up. It broke loose and hit my new pickup on the door. took $300 for the body man to clean it off.

Slopoke
A little acetone would've taken it right off.