Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

LOST AIRPLANE LOCATOR

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 01:14 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: <span class=

Losing a plane is not that uncommon when you fly at a field surrounded by the forest. I lost one when the outer panel of the wing broke off during flight. I know I shouldn't have been flying over the trees but the field is sorta small. I always keep a compass in my flight box and use it to line up on the place where the aircraft was last seen. I try to follow the path and I works most of the time.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:39 PM
ShoestringRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The field where I fly a guy has the Walston Rx and many of us bought the Tx to put in our plane, scattered on different freqs. (Tx he sold us each for $150.00) Before we takeoff for first flight we turn on the Rx to our beacon channel to make sure our plane is sending out a good sinnal. Tx uses three little watch batteries. If I recall right I think 3 fresh batts should give the Tx at least 30 or 40 hrs. I forget the exact number though. I havent had to use it but I know the guy that owns the Rx personally found 3 of his own planes over the years. And I hear Walston saved the day for a few club guys too. We have lots of trees and brush at the field which makes visual finding of many planes very small chance. Using the Rx takes some practice because you have to sort of 'home in' on the signal by adjusting the gain and waiting for the blips to get stronger. It uses this big funky contraption of an antenna on the Rx. Sometimes a guy will hide a plane somewhere with the Tx in it and then new guys try to use the Rx to determine and learn how to find a lost model. The system does work.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:57 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I put the keyringer posts out there. Here is a photo of it mounted on my Aerobird. I have no choice with this plane as it does not have a standard receiver so there is no place to put the digi-alarm. I like the Digi Alarm better. And yes, this needs to be on the outside of the plane because it has to "hear" the second key ringer. Put it inside and it will not hear the call.

As for the digi-alarm and finding the plane within a few hours before the battery dies, if you are even concerned about that then you need the walston.

However, the digi-alarm is only $20 and has lots of other beneficial features.

Here is a shot of the keyringer on my Aerobird.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65392.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	85504