Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Super Cyclone

Old 03-21-2009, 11:06 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Cyclone

I bought a NIB Super Cyclone engine at a swap meet today. It came complete with the box,manual, coil, condenser. manual and parts list. Stamped on the engine is Glendale, California but the box says it was made in Phoenix,Az. The manual is dated 1940 and revised in 1981. The parts list is dated 1988.
The spark plug supplied is an NKG.
Anyone know any information about this motor. Is it a replica?
The Glendale Ca stamp indicates it was made with the original tooling

If anyone is interested I Googled Super Cyclone and found the following link to a review:

http://modelenginenews.org/drj/images/39cyc_ad.jpg.

Mine is a replica. I plan to keep it.

The above link is incorrect. For those that are interested here is the correct one:

http://modelenginenews.org/drj/cyc_gr.html
Old 03-28-2009, 01:17 AM
culver

Default RE: Super Cyclone

You have a good engine, as far as reproductions Mr. Morrison and Mr. Huhn have put out a quality product. I have three or four engines both original and repro and they all run great. I like to use Aerodyne fuel, good quality. Do not use methanol based fuel because of clouding and deterioration of the plastic tank but if you use a metal tank or r/c type plastic then your fine, FAI 80/20 methanol and castor will work good but I do not know about using any nitro, personally I would avoid it since they were not designed to use it. I hope you got a good deal on it.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:27 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Super Cyclone

Yes I got a very good deal. The seller did not know what he had.
The manual says to break it in with glow fuel. If I do it will be with FIA fuel. Don't worry I wont put it in that plastic tank.
I don't think I will run it. I think I will just put it in a glass box and keep it.
I had one in 1946. It brings back memories.
I also had three Orwicks and two Anderson Spitfires.Too bad I don't remember what happened to them.