Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Club due this year! non profit income

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Club due this year! non profit income

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:34 AM
twostroke
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Club due this year! non profit income

I am wondering what most clubs charge for club dues, for a club about 35-45 members. Also if anyone has ideas on how to make a money legally for non-profit orgs that work. for improvments on the field and club without relying only membership dues. Any input would be great.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Blade47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Club due this year! non profit income

We pay $50.00 single $65.00 family and a $10.00 deposit on the gate key ( we have 20 to 30 members per year ) ... refund the gate key when it is turned back in ...or they donate the gate key money to the club.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:43 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

We charge $100 yearly for individuals, $120 for families, and $10/month for transients. Since we are located next to a military base we get a lot of fliers that come here for training and will bring a plane along. So we offer the $10 per month fee to facilitate them getting to fly while they're here in southwest Oklahoma.

Ken
Old 03-23-2009, 11:49 AM
noterman

My club is quite small (20 - 25 members). We charges $50 per year and raises money from fly-ins. Mostly from pilot fees ($10), but also from 50/50 raffles and the concession stand.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

We are $84/year, dont know the other startup fees. We hold four fund raising events per year that bring in about $1200 each. This supports field improvements while dues generally takes care of monthly expenses. Improvements are things like rewiring the kitchen area for concessions last year, power expansion for RV electric, maintanence for the paved runway and a couple of upcoming slabs for picknic tables and a heli pad. We have a big project that will take several years to save for, around $40,000 to stabilize the ground around the runway perimeter. It will keep the cracks in the pavement from coming back every year. Another club I was in saved up about $37,000 as a new field fund. Had it for several years and had to use about 60% of it a few years back when they go kicked off the land they were on for about 10 years.
Edwin
Old 03-23-2009, 04:55 PM
outdoorhunting

Our club charges $80.00 We have a grass runway, no electric power, & no water, which is no big deal. The only drawback, our field has stinking 10' corn on 3 sides. You're OK till you "lose one", & I mean "lose it" We have around 30 members & I personally don't know of a one that is not a "good guy". It's a great little club. !! I've seen a lot of other clubs that have a concesion stands, paved runways ,etc. & I wouldn't trade for any of them!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:40 PM
twostroke

ORIGINAL: noterman

My club is quite small (20 - 25 members). We charges $50 per year and raises money from fly-ins. Mostly from pilot fees ($10), but also from 50/50 raffles and the concession stand.
How do the 50/50 raffles work?
Old 03-24-2009, 06:50 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Our dues are $36 per year. We raise money from our fly-in.We advertise heavy, radio and paper. The paper is free. The radio we got local business people to sponser a live remote. They get a few commercials during the event for their $50 sponser fee. All the sponser fees pay for the radio. It is $400 plus for a 3 hour remote. this gets people to the field to see our event.Then they buy from our concession stand. The only thing we buy for it is pop and the beef. the buns,hotdogs,nachos,papergoods and everything else is also donated. This makes us about $500 to $600 per year. We have been doing this 19 years. AT first donations were harder to get and the crowds were smaller. Now everyone in town knows our date and is eager to be involved or be a spectator.

David
Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 PM
carrellh

Our dues are 40 per year. Spouses, or kids 19 and under who live at home, are free. We do not have any fund raising events.

One of our club members owns the property and allows us to fly with him

We have no electricity or running water

We do have
grass runway
mower with 48 inch deck
port-o-let (provided and serviced by a club member who is in the business)
approx 16x40 steel roof sun shelter
picnic tables
gas grill
12 safety stands
wind sock
frequency board
about 40 of the greatest guys you'd ever want to hang out with

We do not have a lot of expenses
Last year we spent $1500 on rock for the entry road
We have a door prize, less than $20, at each meeting
We did a friends and family cookout where we provided the food
We had a couple of other events where we bought pizza for everyone who was there
I think we ended the year with about $2k in the treasury
This year we may need to get couple of loads of dirt to fill in some low spots
We bought 2 wind socks (they do not last long in the sun) last month
We will also do the cookout and probably buy pizza at some events
Old 03-24-2009, 10:11 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: twostroke
How do the 50/50 raffles work?
The 50/50 raffles I have participated in work like this

get a roll of double tickets
sell tickets for a dollar each, some do a 'six for 5 dollars' deal
buyer keeps one side of the ticket, other side goes in the box
draw the winning ticket
winner gets half of the cash, club gets the other half
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24221.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1165622  
Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 PM
noterman

For the 50/50 drawing we simply sell raffle tickets. When the winning ticket is drawn 50% of the money goes to the winning ticket holder, the rest goes to the club (new tickets and drawing each day). Tickets are $1 each, 6 for $5, and 20 for $10. How much you win depends on how many tickets are sold. Some members donate the winnings back to the club.

In some states this type of drawing must be licensed, so check with the local authorities.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:13 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

our dues are $200 a yr ($250 the 1st yr) and i would pay more than that. it is a great club, big heated and cooled clubhouse, lots of covered tables with power, water all along behind them, long paved runway. we have annual pattern, pylon and 3d events and a big warbird flyin. with a waiting list to get in i am happy to already be a member.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:56 AM
BillyGoat

My club is very similar to Carell's with the exception we pay our landowner a small yearly lease fee.

We make a few hundred dollars with a raffle plane that is drawn at our yearly airshow. We also do a 50/50 at the same event but that brings about $30-40 at the most.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:22 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: twostroke

Also if anyone has ideas on how to make a money legally for non-profit orgs that work. for improvments on the field and club without relying only membership dues. Any input would be great.
Our dues are $70.00 a year for flying members, prorated in the last half of the year for new members only.

A LOT of folks have problems with the term "NON-PROFIT". First it is an IRS term and you have to jump through a lot of hoops to achieve that legal status. It DOES NOT mean that your club cannot make and keep money across business years. It means that you do not pay back any money made from that profit to the members. i.e. there is NO PROFIT TO the individual members. If there is a payback tomemebers then you are for profit organization and you fall into a nasty tax bracket.

The issue only has major ramifications if your club has to disolve itself. If you sell off the assets, mowers. building land, then both the club as a corporation, and themembers who split up the profit from the sales are subject to corporation taxes. UNLESS you give ALL the money or all the assets to another EXISTING non-profit corporation.

So you can legallly make money, you just can't give it back to the members as a payback.

HTH
YMMV
Always seek legal council in your City and state to be incompliance with your local laws
Old 03-28-2009, 08:04 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

We do one fly in in June and a fly in breakfast in August. We sell hotdogs, brats, pop, brownies, etc..... at both. I think we charge $5 for the breakfast. Then we do the hotdog thing for lunch. Alot of spectators show up every year.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:10 PM
twostroke

Thanks for all the input so far guys!!!