Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let's talk about work at the field

Over the years, I've belonged to several clubs, and it always seems to be the same, 10% end up doing 100% of the work. Let's kick around some ideas on how to get more involvement in maintaining the flying field. I know there are some out there that belong to clubs on "public lands" that have maintenance done for them. I'm talking about clubs on private lands that have to maintain the field themselves. I don't mind doing more than my fair share, but I really get ill when I hear folks make comments like "I come to the field to fly, not to work", or the others that have all kinds of suggestions for improvements, or how to take care of something, but that's as far as they go, suggestions.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The best method I can think of is to do up a chart that contains all of the club members names on it. At the start of every month post the chart on a wall somewhere for everyone to see. As someone comes out to the field and mows the grass or performs another task write it down next to their name and perhaps get the club pres to sign against it. Towards the end of the month you will see the names of those who haven't done anything yet. The members who have will be putting pressure on those who haven't, to turn up and do some work. Also those who haven't done anything should feel guilty because their names are up on a board for all to see.
    Then as a last resort if someone turns up to fly and hasn't done a thing all month you could make them spend half an hour doing some work before they fly. This could be something that is agreed upon by all members at the next club meeting so no one thinks it is unfair.
    You could also have a prize for the hardest worker of the month.
    “Not within a thousand years would man ever fly.” Wilbur Wright, 1901

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, this kind of thing goes on everywhere, from the work place to your kids at home.

If people can get away with only doing the fun stuff, they will everytime. Sure the 10% have some inherant work ethic, the rest, if they don't have too, good luck getting them to do it on thier own.

So the only thing left that really works long term is membership requirements. At work, if someone neglects to clean thier assigned piece of equipment, they get docked pay. At home, my kids don't do thier chores, they go nowhere the following weekend. For a private flying field, easy, help or go fly somewhere else.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The best method I've heard yet is club members "working" for the following year's dues. Example would be club dues at $100. Participating in a field day or mowing, etc would be worth $10 off next year. By the end of the year, some guys membership is free, but the guys who didn't help out pay up. It's worth it to some not to have to do anything. It's worth it to some to bust their butt. But in the end, nobody got ripped off, and no one got a free ride without paying for it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We have a deal similar to what Tattoo wrote about. You can get half off your yearly dues by joining the mowing/maintenance crew. That way, the retired guys with lots of time but on fixed incomes can pitch in and get a big discount, while the younger, busier guys can come out and fly, and nobody's bent out of shape. Works for us.
    Taxi-ing expert! Two left thumbs!
    AMA 776895

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Make everyone responsible for the same amount of work. Give members the option of doing the work themselves or paying the club to hire the work done.

Eric

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We have the "half off next years dues" program. We pay members $10 "Palomar Dollars" for every hour they work.

Result= The same group of people come out to help every time. It doesn't motivate any others.

The only way we've motivated "some" more people is to close the field until the work is done. This worked on a Saturday morning. We all got out there at 7 or 8am and no one could fly until we got the project done.

Mike
    Mike

Anyone know any good blonde jokes? I\'ll start- \"There was this blonde customer service rep..... \"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Up your Dues!! and then give a discount rate to those who pull their fair share of the work .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Re: Let's talk about work at the field

Originally posted by grippm
    //SNIP//
    I'm talking about clubs on private lands that have to maintain the field themselves. I don't mind doing more than my fair share, but I really get ill when I hear folks make comments like "I come to the field to fly, not to work", or the others that have all kinds of suggestions for improvements, or how to take care of something, but that's as far as they go, suggestions.
    Same here. Some people think that "Private" field just materializes out of the clear blue and stays in pristine shape. Peas on 'em.

Run your club like a business. Set the dues to keep the club functioning with sub-contractors for the yard-work. Don't worry about the few that whine about *high hobby costs*. Let 'em fly control-line, or play softball.

Our INCORPORATED club contracts the field maintenance. A number of club-members hold specific contracts. Mowing schedules are set for field and pits. Outside areas are of lesser schedules. 100 x 600 runway and large pit gets mower $50 net after renting club-owned 23hp / 48" mower.
    Outside area nets $40. Two 42" tractors available. Total club cost per year is some $3000.00 for scheduled mowings.
    Policy is reviewed each year and so far club votes to continue.

The *cliche* does the other clean-up as usual before the event days, usually about 4-5 per year.

We use a neat little thing about rent and expenses to avoid our contractors being labeled employees under IRS rules. In addition the Treasurer sends the 1099s out each year. The contractors file on the schedule C (C-EZ) and pay any tax due. Of course the drive to the field every so often to mow or check need for "additional" mowing is an expense on the sched. C and thus reduces the net income.

So you see, those that pay the dues provide for the contractors (those individuals that would do it for free otherwise) to have dues money plus some new airplanes, etc. during the year. Then they can come just to fly.

Scheduled Work Days DO NOT work.
    Penalties at year-end DO NOT work.

Our system seems to work very well, and after several years there seems to be more "contractors" available wanting to join up and or fill in for those going on extended vacation. That is good as really none of the current guys want the money, cause we jus' wanna' come to visit and fly, however if work we must, then the sitters can pay the bills.

OH, BTW if JR reads this, he can guess who devised all the creative accounting for our contracts, tax avoidances, etc.

Our club is known as Jetero RC Club, Inc., Humble, TX.
    Horrace Cain AMA L-93

Peace is the brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.\" T. Jefferson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ya can wonder sometimes about that stuff. Im the sec of the club I belong to , We are building a new mower, I have cleaned ,primed, and painted alot of that sucker.

The Treas mows alot of our field, not to mention provided the mower we are working on, and puts lunch out for us every saturday and sunday at the field.

but there are others taht seem to sit back and watch whats gonna happen, A person submits a idea, then when asked its a totaly differ thing now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Last year I proposed an improvement to the field (move the entrance gate). Guess who was made chairman of that project?

Except for the drilling of the new holes for the concrete...I did it myself. I wasn't a huge project and took me a weekend. I did it myself because I didn't want to put up with the BS of getting a work party together and then having 25 Chiefs and no Indians. I got a nice tan and the job got done with a minimum of hassle.

For larger projects...the dues thing is a great idea....
    eeeexcelent...
    Bob Convery

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We had a 8X20 cargo box put at our field to store stuff in. We had a day where we worked on it, NO FLYING AT ALL. i didnt take a plane out. we had a awsome turn out on workers. I spent most of the day on the roof of it gringing the rust off, some of the side. When it boils down to it, its worth it. We gather all the names up and put them in the minutes for the next meeting so the people that show up at the meeting knew who worked on it.
    This is done on a pay free basis, no complaints at all, and it was alot of fun