Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

2nd Chance for my YS 120

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:42 AM
R Verbael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Chance for my YS 120

While flying a 4Star 120 during the recent Tucson Big Bird Fly In, I lost my YS 120 engine out of the aircraft while in flight. I was able to quickly locate the aircraft...amazingly unscathed after a wild CG-challenged glide from a couple of hundred feet into the thick, *****ly desert surrounding Tucson R/C Club's really nice flying facility. But the YS 120 engine was nowhere to be found.

Several of us used up the rest of the day without any luck, and 2 days later, I drove from Yuma to Tucson and spent another 6 hours searching. Pretty bummed out by this time.

But, the great guys from the Tucson R/C Club organized a detailed search and found the engine. I was at that time on my way back to Montana (snowbird life takes us back to Montana when the desert heats up)...and recieved a cell phone call that my engine had been found. Chuck Brooks, Tucson R/C Club newsletter editor mailed the engine up to Montana, "as found".

"As Found" meant that I needed to repackage the engine and re-send to to master modeler Dick Holmes in Billings, Montana for serious repairs....carb body was smashed, intake pipe smashed, etc. Dick concluded that one fiber prop blade sheared off and caused enough severe vibration to rattle the engine right out of the mount. Amazing.

Long story short, Dick performed the surgery in a quick and completely professional manner and I now have the little beast installed on an old Senior Telemaster.....waiting for the Montana snow to melt to allow a test flight. The engine purrs like a sewing machine!

Many public thanks to Tucson R/Cers...a great bunch....and to Dick Holmes for lending his expertise.

Pic tells the 2nd chance story.

Russ Verbael

PS Welcome Aboard to Deadeye, your new moderator. A great guy and gifted modeler.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74253.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1190656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76609.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1190657  
Old 05-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2nd Chance for my YS 120

Whew! Awesome story Russ, and I'm happy that you got her back. Bring the big ole bird about 60 miles north when the snow melts. You are always welcome at our field!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:41 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 2nd Chance for my YS 120

Great story! Thanks for sharing.