Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Community Workshop

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 12:58 PM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Community Workshop

Has anyone ever been part of a community workshop, and if so, how was it set up? I would like to have a workshop to go to that is bigger than my workspace at home. It would be nice if it had a set up for building and covering models. The ideal place would have a drill press or two, band saw or two, scroll saws, several tables, one for each member, vises, clamps, jigs and other building essentials to use while there. Tables would be leased or rented to members for their projects.
I understand that there would have to be a pretty good security protocal, like electronic keypad entry or such and probably a camera. Does anyone have one of these out there and is there an interest for it in your area?
Old 06-19-2003, 01:05 PM
bearmech
My Feedback: (1)

Several of the retired guys at our club got together and rented unused space in an industrial park and set up a shop for themselves, sharing tools and the cost between them selves. Boy would I like to get in on that deal.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:11 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could check with your local high school or technical college. Many have evening programs where you can come in and work.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:12 PM
runover1

It seems like a good idea, as long as everyone treats it with respect and stays honest. The #1 rule would have to be "no touching anybody else's stuff without them there and their permission, but even with their permission, no touching when they are not there.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:19 PM
runover1

The best I think would be a place that is secure. Modelers should be able to leave their projects on there tables until they are finished. Although, you can have a seperate area for covering that is away from the sawdust of building. I have an idea about using pegboard elevated on a table with a vacume attachment on the underside for a sanding station. Do you think it would work.

Anyone else?
Old 06-26-2003, 10:30 PM
runover1

Default Anyone else?

No more bites?
Old 06-26-2003, 11:20 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. We had a community workshop for about six years, only about 1/8 mile from the flying field. It turned out to be a great place for the builder members and other flyers as well. The shop was an old building and there were a total of ten work stations. Each station was a 3 x 7 ft. door set on top of a 2 x 4 frame. The rent on this building was $100.00/month, so each builder had to contribute $10.00/month for his station. All equipment was donated, or on loan from the builders. Everything was in the open - nothing was locked up - (except for the building itself) and in the six years I participated, nothing was stolen or lost. The group became very close, and everyone helped one another.

When I landed in Sebring, I became the "teacher" of this group. I designed the models, made kits, and handed them out to the builders free of charge. I would build a section - go to the shop three days a week - deliver the parts needed to make that section - and let them build. We had to disband the group two years ago because the building belonged to the race track, and it was torn down to make room for a nice new motel. We couldn't find another building to rent, so that was that.

The first project that I was involved in was the building of five clipped wing T-crafts, powered by G-23 engines. I designed the model, made the kits, and we built them as a group - all at the same time. And I'll bet that no other club in the country has ever done what we did, and that was to test fly all five on the same day. I am attaching a photo of these five aircraft.

Prior to closing shop, we had built a total of 54 planes, all to my designs. We followed the five - T-crafts with 13 - 1/5 scale Ercoupes, 2-40% J-3 Kittens, 3 - J4-E Piper Cub Coupes, 3 - 1/3 scale Ercoupes, 8 - G23 powered Kestrel biplanes, 10 - 1/4 scale E-2 Taylor Cubs, 2 - 30% scale Stinson SR-10's, 6- 1/3 scale Aeronca Sedans, and two 1/3 scale Piper J-3 Cubs.

As you can see, not every builder built the featured model every time, because there were many other kits that they purchased and built. Some guys flew in the morning, then went to the shop and spent the rest of the day. After flying was over, many others went to the shop to check on how the new models were coming.
It was great for the whole club, and I can tell you - it's an idea that will work if you can find the right place to set up. The rent must be very reasonable - that's the first item of business.

After the very successful T-craft project, there was no holding this group of builders down. They wanted "more - more - more". They learned so much about building, designing, incidence, balance, and engine and prop selection - that wasn't available to them working alone. Seeing their beautiful models fly was the icing on the cake for each of them. It's a shame that it had to end.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	89532_3061.gif
Views:	5
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	51016  
Old 06-26-2003, 11:35 PM
runover1

Jim,
That is cool and exactly what I am talking about. You have once again inspired me. I am only a beginner, but I love the sport, uh I mean hobby, and want to see others getting involved. I used to be a carpenter and missed building things, but now I get great enjoyment out of building models. I have built one kit, and am in the process of building my second scratch project. We may be looking for a field in the next couple of years and I will bring this up and see what support we get.
Thank you again.