Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Workshop, Tools, and other stuff like that

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Workshop, Tools, and other stuff like that

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 10:41 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Workshop, Tools, and other stuff like that

Hello all,

Please forgive me if this has been posted before in another thread, but I am curious.

I have been flying for about 3 years, and I am starting to get into pattern and IMAC, since that is what everyone flys at my field. Now that I am getting larger and larger airplanes, we are running out of space in the house. I already have the guest bedroom full with a 35% Carden Cap and a Hydeout, and my bedroom and part of the end of the balcony in my house is full of R/C stuff. This is giving my dad an excuse to get a workshop built, and I am really looking foreward to that.

I have seen some people's workshops on various websites and that is giving me some ideas of how I want to organize my things and their layout. If someone has any pictures of their workshop that they could share, and descriptions, please do. I am also working on getting my own set of tools, so I don't have to keep borrowing my dad's. Are there any workshop tools or anything in general that you all find handy when you are working on projects?

Thank you very much!
Old 06-19-2003, 10:50 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

Wooden Doors are one of the best things you can build on, if ya see any on sale at a hardware store, pic a few up, i use 3 to build on, staright and true.
sorry my shop isnt the best in the world. Im in the same situation, and dad wont build me a workshop. we got 5 acres, we got room for it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	87849_12852.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	51092  
Old 06-20-2003, 01:56 AM
Blackie

Acroman330, you may have already seen my workshop but just in case you haven't here it is. Mine is not all that big, and for your large planes you will most likely need at least a 20 x 24. The bigger the better.

My workshop in the making
Old 06-20-2003, 02:44 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have two workbenches. One is built against the concrete wall, so it's extra sturdy.

The other is hollow core door for building. It's in the middle of the room, so I have 360 degrees access to whatever I'm building. That comes in very handy at times!
Old 06-20-2003, 03:27 AM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

Doors doors and more doors, but I always buy solid door cores because I like the way they don't move when you bump em and are more sturdy.

I don't put mine on sawhorses tho like some. I purposely build legs that are x-braced to avoid shaking.

The best is you can cut a solid core no problem to any lenght you want. I made an L (90 degree) in one corner and cut one door down to 4 foot (30 inch wide door) and put a leg on each end with just a sleeper under where they join to hold the short one up and it works great. You can now work in front of you and have your whole plans/instructions on the left side along with tools and a clear opening spot. So basically it ended up a 6 1/2 foot by 6 1/2 foot 90 degree table that is rock steady and cost less than $100 bucks. Painted it white and it really helps show up small peices that drop on it.

Also by using solid core you can really put a lot of weight on them, I have an almost identical one made for my office with the computer and you can put a computer, a 21" inch monitor on it, and still sit on it and it not even moan/groan.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:00 AM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

yep, i said doors, but didnt realize that many people used them.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:32 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Thanks alot guys! I really appreciate your input!
Old 06-24-2003, 12:52 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link to a thread with lots or workshop info.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...light=workshop

Ericc
Old 06-24-2003, 01:44 AM
thepope
My Feedback: (1)

My workshop pics are here http://www.funtigo.com/workshop
It is 20 x 24 with 9-1/2ft walls. I used two solid core doors for my two building benches. I built in lots of drawers and put in lots of plug-ins.
Bill
Old 06-24-2003, 04:57 AM
Greyhawk

Bill,

Very nice setup!

I actually have three areas to work in...two in the 30X25 garage, one in a 10X12 foot room. A couple of cautions, or at least ideas, about good workspace. Learn from my mistakes.

* 360 degree access is great if you can get it.
* Lots of easy access electrical.
* An area that can be left undisturbed (my garage bay - NOT!)
* Lots of full spectrum light.
* Glass surfaces are excellent, too.
* Heat for the winter.
* Think dry for electrical components.

Most are, of course, common sense. But it is easy to overlook things when you are in the midst of building/designing a space. Best of luck.

John
Old 06-24-2003, 12:05 PM
Blackie

Acroman330, as far as the work bench goes the door cores are the way to go, but I would like to recommend that you put it on a caster frame. This method is great as it allows you to move the bench to any position you want and if you are done you can simply wheel it over up against the wall to get it our of your way.

Blackie
Old 06-24-2003, 02:03 PM
M Gill

Tools,

You will be supprised what you can dig up at garage sales and estate sales. The best tools are old sears tools.....I have a scroll saw that is about 50 years old. When I needed a part for it a few years ago, sears STILL had a part for me.
You should have a band saw (floor model), scroll saw, small table saw, and a disc sander and belt sander (these can come in a combo).

I would show you a picture of my shop's layout, but it would be an example of what NOT to do! I have the most disorganized, messy shop in the land.

Mace Gill
The Aeroplane Works
Old 06-24-2003, 02:09 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always build one of these .
Old 06-24-2003, 06:59 PM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

Originally posted by M Gill
Tools,

You will be supprised what you can dig up at garage sales and estate sales. The best tools are old sears tools.....I have a scroll saw that is about 50 years old. When I needed a part for it a few years ago, sears STILL had a part for me.
You should have a band saw (floor model), scroll saw, small table saw, and a disc sander and belt sander (these can come in a combo).

I would show you a picture of my shop's layout, but it would be an example of what NOT to do! I have the most disorganized, messy shop in the land.

Mace Gill
The Aeroplane Works
Craftsman hand tools have a lifetime warranty. When I was in school I took auto mechanics and every time we broke a tool I took it home cause they were throwing them away.

Take it back to sears and they'll give you another free with no questions.

After 2 years of shop class I wound up with a nearly full set of 1/2" and 3/4" drive sockets and ratchetcs, plus a few odds and ends thrown in.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:23 PM
Greyhawk

Originally posted by Deadeye
You could always build one of these .
Deadeye,

WoW! Now I want to build a new doghouse.

Thanks.