Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Tower SHipping Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 10:39 AM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower SHipping Question

Does anyone know the price at which Tower requires a signature on their FedEx shipments? I ordered a kit and a bunch of accessories recently and Fed Ex left the kit (bigger box) but absolutely won't leave the box of accessories. It has been over a week trying to track down the driver. He keeps leaving handwritten messages saying the shipper (Tower) requires a signature for this package. Calls into Fed Ex aren't a lot of help either

I don't fault Tower or Fed Ex, they are just doing what they get paid to do. But it is very annoying having a kit sitting here with no glue or accessories to build it with.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:06 AM
SDR-Hammer

There holding it hostage.

Ask Fed Ex if they will accept a signature card? I've done that with UPS, they leave a card for me to sign, the next day they have my signature and my package is waiting when I get home.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:23 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Leave Him cookies and milk...............

Oh, never mind, that's for santa.....
Old 06-20-2003, 01:36 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems odd. They just leave mine.

Do you have a local fedex hub close? I would drive over to it and find out what you can do. Getting the phone number to it is almost impossible. If you get there just before 5, you might find the truck there and get it then.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:38 PM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

Sign a card and leave it telling him to either leave it at the door or an address of where the person who can sign can be found during the day.

Living out in the middle of nowhere we have to sign cards and leave them at the local general store for FedEx/UPS to leave the packages for the whole town (all 300 of us) basically and we just pick it up from the storeowner.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:47 PM
Fly4Funn
My Feedback: (14)

If you call Fed-Ex, they will re-route it to your work address, or an address where someone can sign for it. (provided you don't get the lieing #itch I got last time) I have to do this all the time for Fed-Ex...............UPS is right across from my office so I have them hold all my shipments for pickup.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:39 PM
KS_Pyro
My Feedback: (4)

I got a better one for ya. My last order included an ARF and a box of accessories. Fed-Ex left the ARF on the porch early in the afternoon. About 8:30pm that night, Fed-Ex calls and says they have a package for me but can't find my house. I explained what city I lived in and the next day I get my accessories. Neither package required a signature. Still a mystery how the driver found my house for one package but not the other.

Dave
Old 06-20-2003, 06:50 PM
greenboot

I think it is somewhat up to the descretion of the driver. In a high crime area, they would be less likely to leave stuff without a signature. In a quiet residential neighborhood, they are more likely to drop off. Leaving a note with the neighbors name is a good idea.

Tom
Old 06-20-2003, 08:27 PM
2 Piece
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go right from a FedEx Express driver. First let me explain that there is a world of difference between FedEx Express and FedEx Ground, Tower uses both.
First; if the package has a declared value greater than $100.00 the driver is not suppose to leave it. This value has to be listed somewhere on the package, which hardly any package does. Example: computer/ printer box without a declared value. I could leave the package if it had a release # on it, or the recipient has a signature release on file with FedEx Express, even thought I know that the item in box is more valuable than $100.00- but it didn't list the value- so it could be possible that the shipper just used an empty computer box to ship the items in.
Secondly; Tower hobbies has a shipper release with FedEx Express, tell the driver next time you see him to look it up in the SRG- he'll know what you mean. So, unless Tower has put an "exception" on the package, the driver should be able to leave the package. This exception could be a sticker that the shipper has placed on the package "Signature Required" or its an option they can code into the tracking bar code. In either case this exception requires a signature in person- no notes or signed delivery notices, you have to physically sign for package in person. It's a pain for the recipient as well as the driver, but its what the shipper wants and pays for. And I can tell you that more and more shippers are using this exception. Recipient usually has to come to station to get their package.

Now to answer the question how driver could kind your house earlier and not later in the day. Its not the same driver. Occasionally, packages get routed to the wrong station, or there are aircraft delays. In the morning the stations process the freight load it on the trucks. The drivers take the packages out and start their routes. Now after all the route drivers have left, here comes the "miss sorts". The stations will usually send these packages out with the extra "cover" drivers. These drivers do not usually have the same area knowledge the regular driver has, so they call to get directions.

Anyway, I got to go to bed now. Tomorrow- (my day off) Saturday, the 21'st has become a mandatory work day, so we can deliver all those Harry Potter books.

2 Piece
Old 06-21-2003, 12:49 PM
greenboot

2 Piece,
Good explanation. It's nice to know we have someone on the inside working for us! I'm sure you'll deliver all the RC packages before you start with the regular junk.

Tom