Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

PAINT or COVER ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 03:36 PM
bluemodels
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAINT or COVER ???

I have covered several models, and done a good but not perfect job..my nest project is a 1/4 scale that is balsa covered except for the control surfaces..should I cover or paint..I need advice on how to go about painting..thanks wc
Old 03-27-2002, 04:01 PM
seafury_fb11

What kinda' plane?

Russ.
Old 03-27-2002, 04:40 PM
bluemodels

extra 300 arc
Old 03-27-2002, 05:03 PM
seafury_fb11

Well, to be honest, I am a warbird guy so I paint all my planes. But I would imagine that for an aerobatic plane you would want to keep it as light as possible, so I would think covering would be best. (I'm just guessing - I don't know what the aerobatic guys are doing for a plane that size). Sorry, maybe not very helpful...

Russ.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:18 PM
Mendes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without a doubt, iron on film covering. Unless you are really a glassing/painting guru it will be heavier than film. It is also alot more time consuming to get a really nice paint finish.
Old 03-28-2002, 01:45 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

Just to muddy the waters up even more. Do both!!!. Iron on clear monokote, scruff it with some steel wool to give it some tooth, and paint it with extremely light coats of paint (just enough to cover evenly). That's gonna be heavier than dyed film though, but you do get your choice of colors. It should be lighter than glassing and painting.

If youre goin for all out light plane creaminess for aerobatics, I'd stick with good ole monokote or ultracote and be done with it. It also gives you the ability to peel off your mistakes and start fresh, rather than sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, and did i forget to mention sand?

Steve

Steve
Old 03-28-2002, 03:48 PM
bluemodels

Steve, What is it like in NC now, I was born and raised in Brevard, have been in WY about 10 years, and have been in RC just over a year. WE have a great flying field, etc, but weather limits us to about 6-8 months..thanks I think I will stick with covering..WC
Old 03-29-2002, 02:02 AM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

WC,
I live in Greensboro, and we fly at least 12 months a year I moved here from FL about two years ago (born n raised in Orlando). I love it here. Small town feel, with bigger city amenities, although the closest true hobby shop is 20 miles away. I've been to Brevard before. Good luck on your covering. The best advice I can give on covering is to only do it when youre feeling like doing it, and stop just before you lose intrest. That will usually keep you from making those costly errant cuts. Also, try using 3m automotive pinstripe in a contrasting color at seams. You can get the 5 size multistripe pattern for under 10 bucks. It will provide a means to cover any non perfect seams, as well as make the color blocks "pop" out against the sky. I will try to post some pics of my latest covering job tomorrow.

Steve
Old 03-29-2002, 09:54 PM
lnorris
My Feedback: (1)

Default 20 miles?

Stevezero: Heck, the closest hobby shop to me is over 20 miles and it's not even half way across town! Does have the best people and prices though..

I've been thinking about this choice myself. I have a P-40 to cover and didn't want to tie on the extra lbs by glassing it. It was suggested to me to use a base color, scruff it up in the places I wanted the camo paint, prime and paint it. Then hit the whole thing with clear coat.

I was told this looked great but I just imagine the monocote shinking and flaking the paint.. How do you prevent this?