The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

CLUB SAFETY ENFORCEMENT

Old 11-11-2002, 12:41 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default CLUB SAFETY ENFORCEMENT

There's supposed to be a 'safety officer'

We have a 'safety oficer' and he's supposed to pointo out safety issues, and ensure all know teh safety rules. Of course, that aplies to the pits area, the runway, and in the air. Rules like tying donwe a plane when starting, holding your plane when taxiing to the runway, all flying 'the pattern' etc..

But it is rarely enforeced. Really baaad examples are told off, given a warning. But most of the 'trouble makers' somewhat ignore him, as they do have a bit of 'superiority complex' and shrugg him off (Typical of some / most people.. stubborn to take responcibility for their own actions..) And/or show up on days he isn't there..

If you see gross issues, you tell him / them yourself , and you should be able to report them to your club execs.

Safety is EVERYONE'S business.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:19 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Safety at the field is everyone's responsibility.

The safety officer should be consulted for disputes such as when "rulemongers" make up new and unique things. (The DuBro aluminum spinner-nuts being marked as meeting AMA safety rules created a problem... the rule they meet is for Pylon racing, not sport models.)

When you see someone doing something unsafe, offer to help. The guy weaving the starter's wire and the glow driver wire through the prop obviously needs some advice in safely operating his model. (he's probably having a hard time starting the thing too...)
Old 11-12-2002, 01:18 PM
Roodester

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just a thought as I read through the responses.

Is the issue of safety, infractions thereof, etc addressed in club charters? I'll get ours out and look, but that's a good place to start.

Create a subject category at the club meetings devoted to safety issues where all members can contribute and come to a consesus about safety issues and how to deal with them. Write them down and attach it to the charter as an appendix for the safety officer (and all the members) to follow. These can then be amended and altered by the whole club as new situations and conditions present themselves. Post them at the flying site and give them to all new and old members.

This way, the entire club has an input in the process of rule making (eliminating the "rulemonger" safety officer) and it is harder for individual members to "ignore" a rule they've participated in establishing.

Roodester
Old 11-15-2002, 05:38 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have the rules in our charter / constitution, and is really, the best place for them. After all, all club members ar supposed to read and get a copy of the charter when they sign thier membership (and pay thier dues). But things do get forgotten after a while..

Also, just like driving, bad habits can be learned from teachers who themselves have bad habits. So, it is also up to the instructors to set a good example, and it should also be up to them, to ensure a safely run club / feild / pit area. Arrogance (as mentioned before) is always a problem.

We have ours posted at the feild, just inside the Tx impound hut, so there is no excuse not to read / know them. But, after a while, the poster does just blend in with everthing else..

And to really top it off, ours in in french and english, being in Qweebec, it's gotta be in both 'official languages'!