Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Freeflight Forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:34 PM
509boatman55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freeflight Forum

I will try and keep this short-After starting threads inquiring about any interest in the many aspects of Freeflight in both Controllines and Golden Age forums, I was advised to come to this forum to make my plea. I believe there is sufficient interest in this subject,be it indoor, outdoor, sport, competition;rubber or gas-to warrant a stand alone forum of it's own. I have built and flown incredibly light and fragile and SLOW indoor competition models(Penny Plane, Mini-Stick and EZ-B;some indoor models have been converted to RC with Plantraco radio gear) and also Nostalgia types. I think a lot of people started in this hobby with freeflight of one form or another and would still be interested in what is going on now. So, if you have an interest in any aspect of freeflight from Peanut rubber up to the incredible high tech competition classes, please respond and show the Administrators that this is a worthwhile Forum. Many thanks in advance and....THERMALS!!!
P.S.I know that this is an RC site-I mean,it's in the name,right?-But there are precedents for non-RC Forums here. Also:this is not about old vs. young-I believe myself to be somewhere in between. I think there are many youngsters who might benefit from freeflight because of the economic barriers to getting started in RC. I would not have been able to start in this hobby myself if not for freeflight;indeed it has only been since I retired that it became a possibility. I realize that the hobby is easier to get into now more than ever before but some still have no way to afford it.
Another positive for freeflight, IMO is the fact that there are no ARF or RTF models in this category. Or, at least, darned few. Anything that encourages kids -or anyone else,for that matter, to build is a good thing in my book. OK, I think that about covers it.If anybody wants to PM me in regards to this topic, I would welcome it. Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:38 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Freeflight Forum

I have passed the info on to the Admins
Old 07-14-2009, 02:00 PM
509boatman55

Thanks Mike! That was quick!!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:30 PM
ctdahle

Lots of fun to be had with Free Flight. I knock out WhipperWhizzes for my kids pretty frequently and I keep Delta Dart kits on hand for when older nieces and nephews are around. Stored away I have most of the parts cut out for a Tepid Cocoa, and there is a Baby Phoenix that Easytiger gifted to me a few year ago that is pinned down to a building board on a high shelf, the last thing I worked on before I had to turn my workshop into a nursery in 2002.

With RC assist, you can have the thrill of an OOS without actually losing the model, and I have thought that maybe an approach to purity could be had by building a class c or d model with traditional dethermalizing gear and just a minimal radio that could actuate one aileron to drag the model back into the vicinity if you hook a boomer.

What's the status of the Builder of the Model rule? I've always thought that the skill of freeflight was largely about design and construction and that if you didn't build the model yourself, you should still be able to fly in competition, but with the requirement that you share the trophy or whatever equally with the builder. Maybe it's already that way, a way for guys who are darn good builders and designers, but maybe lack the stamina to chase them accross farm fields and deserts in 110 degree weather to team up with more athletic flyers...a great way to pass on the skill and lore.

With the names and handles I recognize here from other times and other forums, I bet a freeflight section would have a small but intelligent following.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:41 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you both GC and Minnflyer a freeflight forum has been sorely needed for a long time and I beleve while it will never be a hugh forum it will build nicely and be something many of us would love to follow as well as a tremendous source of crossover information.

So how about it out there guys if you would enjoy a freeflight forum now is the time to let it be known post your support now[8D]

John
Old 07-14-2009, 03:22 PM
509boatman55

As I do not compete, I am not sure about the status of the Builder rule. As far as I know it is still in effect for A.M.A. but not F.A.I.
I agree that a team approach would work fine for us who can no longer chase after-maybe as a separate event.[8D]
Old 07-14-2009, 04:31 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wpuld like to see a Free flight forum!

Robert
Old 07-14-2009, 04:55 PM
509boatman55

I actually saw an escapement, new in box on sale(auction) on eBay a while back-that would be a hoot
Old 07-14-2009, 08:27 PM
509boatman55

Hey Roberthow did you activate the extratools at the bottom of your postings? I see tools for email ,private Message etc on other folks posts and I don't have 'emstarting to feel inadequate!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:43 PM
WestCoastFlyer

This post is in favor of establishing a Free Flight forum. I couldn't contribute, but I'd love to read and learn.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:48 PM
509boatman55

Thanks WCFall support is appreciated[8D]
Old 07-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Trisquire

I'm interested.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:09 AM
p51drb

way to go . nice to have ff forum. been looking for one. now it's here along with the rest of my interest,cl,rc plane and boat. thanks
Old 07-15-2009, 11:10 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: p51drb

way to go . nice to have ff forum. been looking for one. now it's here along with the rest of my interest,cl,rc plane and boat. thanks

Its not here yet and it may not be here unless we can show support for its existance. How about it fellows now is the time to stand up and be heard. It does not matter if you are a FF'er or not.

If you are one who may occassionally read other types of modeling forums out of curiosity or heck just want to find out what an auto rudder is? Then this is the time and place to post your support for such a forum.

John
Old 07-15-2009, 11:49 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to see one.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:12 PM
RCPAUL

I'd like to see a FF forum. I've done a little rubber - indoors and out.

Paul
Old 07-15-2009, 02:21 PM
build light

ORIGINAL: 509boatman55

Hey Roberthow did you activate the extra tools at the bottom of your postings? I see tools for email ,private Message etc on other folks posts and I don't have 'emstarting to feel inadequate![img][/img]
Never paid much attention to those. Seems that for your own posts you see less tool options. Here is how I see posts When I view them.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12093.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1236893  
Old 07-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Hossfly

Hey Roberthow did you activate the extra tools at the bottom of your postings? I see tools for email ,private Message etc on other folks posts and I don't have 'emstarting to feel inadequate![img][/img]
boatman, no one does on his/her own posting. Some time ago one of the powers-that-be said that you would not be emailing or sending a private message to yourself, so it does not show on your own postings. That's muh story and I be a stickin' to it!

Now, Thank YOU for getting this forum. Every since the '60s, anyone that does not fly only RC has been considered something from the wrong side of the tracks. As a competition FC/CL flier in those late '60s, early '70s, I well remember the snickers from most RCers. It still happens today.
CL is making a strong come-back, and thanks to you, maybe FF will, in the not too distant future, have a better showing. Big problem for FF is a place to fly. Think it's difficult to find a RC facility, just try to locate suitable acreage for competition FF. [X(]

Now if you are in the NE Houston area, Jetero has 50 acres which they may allow some use of, and I have 40 acres on the east side. I could allow certain privileges there for those in the area.

Best of luck to all FFERS everywhere.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:28 PM
509boatman55

Thanks HossFly and BuildLightI should have figured that out myself-doh[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 07-15-2009, 03:37 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Roberthow did you activate the extratools at the bottom of your postings? I see tools for email ,private Message etc on other folks posts and I don't have 'emstarting to feel inadequate!
They are there, you just don't see them on your own posts (No sense in emailing yourself, right?)

Old 07-17-2009, 12:08 PM
jessiej

I think a freeflight forum is a great idea and will be a regular visitor.
Thanks for making the effort!

jess
Old 07-17-2009, 05:17 PM
bboykin

have enjoyed free flight with rubber power since 1958 would like to see this forum on this sight. remember what was better 15 cent movie or 25 cen testors or other rubber powered plane.one hour of old movie ore several houras of flying
Old 07-17-2009, 05:19 PM
bboykin

have enjoyed free flight with rubber power since 1958 would like to see this forum on this sight. remember what was better 15 cent movie or 25 cent testors or other rubber powered plane.one hour of old movie or several hour of flying
Old 07-17-2009, 05:38 PM
build light

In the meantime and while trying to maintain momentum to the thread I thoght I would like to mention the O-Fungle which was a full size pull out plan in the January 1973 issue of American Aircraft Modeler as one of the Tenderfoot models to build.

I built and flew one of these and it was quick, easy, and loads of fun. The O-Fungle was a rubber power design with a motor stick and had the wing of 1/32" sheet balsa. It was round, about 10" in diameter but the center of the disc was open. A lot like Peck's Stringless Wonder.

This model has a lot of possibilities today including the use of styrofoam dinnerware plates to replace the more expensive balsa!

So! I was wondering if anyone else may have built one of these and tell their experience. Maybe the plan can be found as well. Since it was a full size pull out plan it would not be available fron the plan services (as far as I know!) but could be someone has the issue in their stash of magazines!

Hmmm. May have to cobble one up from memory just thinking about it.

Robert
Old 07-17-2009, 05:49 PM
build light

ORIGINAL: bboykin

have enjoyed free flight with rubber power since 1958 would like to see this forum on this sight. remember what was better 15 cent movie or 25 cent testors or other rubber powered plane.one hour of old movie or several hour of flying
Ha! You bet! Remember the North Pacific Strato? Not rubber powered but still a pile-O-fun, these were a nickle back in the day and was the smallest, cheapest one they had. I could buy two of them Vs the single ten cent Stunt Flyer and have twice the fun. Yeah the Stunt Flyer was bigger and a better performer most of the time but I would usually get two of the nickle gliders instead.
The Strato was the first model I ever had the flew out of sight!

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb87084.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1238368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75814.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	1238369  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.