Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What happened to RCU?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:44 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What happened to RCU?!

There has been over moderation at various times by certain moderators. Those moderators have either been given direction and/or put on temporary or permanent leave. We try to maintain a fair balance here. Sometimes there is not enough moderation or not fast enough. Other times it is way overboard. I tell moderators if you have to error to one side then "less is more" when it comes to modding.

I've been very upset by many posts and threads that were unnecessarily removed in the last year or two. I had personally restored over 200 threads (some very sizable) as many of you know that were blown away or taken into our holding tank for no good reason. Worse yet was when they were removed, rather then just closed and thus removing some very good info just because of a touch of bad info. You cannot throw the baby out with the bathwater here. Again a lot of this has been addressed and we continue to monitor to make sure we hit the same fair balance that we had in our formative years that made RCU so successful.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:58 PM
KC36330

I've seen a moderator who edited someone else's post just for HIS own agenda, didn't strike me as something he should have been doing and he's not exactly what I'd call moderator material in the first place.............after the moderator privileges are given, is this person let loose at the controls or is there some supervision to their actions?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:16 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: KC36330

I've seen a moderator who edited someone else's post just for HIS own agenda, didn't strike me as something he should have been doing and he's not exactly what I'd call moderator material in the first place.............after the moderator privileges are given, is this person let loose at the controls or is there some supervision to their actions?
All moderators are watching and evaluated by our Administrator and Marc to ensure that they are doing their job. Ican tell you from first hand experience that this does happen. More than once Ihave had a decision Imade as a moderator reversed by the ForumManager, Nathan (Administator), or Marc. If they feel that a Moderator is hurting RCU they will take actions to fix the problem. However, they can't see everything that is going on. If you feel that a moderator is doing something out of line you can drop a line directly to Marc or Nathan and they will look at the situation.

Ken
Old 07-30-2009, 05:19 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jfetter

I work in IT, in the computer world, even when we ''remove'' something, we leave a record to show something was there. Likewise if we don't agree with something we still have to look t it, we don't just magically make it dissapear (even though we could). I guess the issue isn't so much someone exercising common sense and removing offensive material but someone removing what THEY don't like. Let me tell you I know the posts that were removed because it was a friend of mine, I read it the day before and was really shocked to see it gone and then a few days later the thread closed.

RCG has threads with vendors ripping each other from years ago still online and searchable, see the internet bots and spyders crawl all over and there are refernces out there now, imagine coming here and finding a dead end because the reference points to a thread long-since deleted, even though you may want to read it. I get why some don't care they assume the mods are doing the right things but I am telling you without auditing to see what the mods are deleting, you'll end up with personal preference and with the ability to remove posts completely.

Part of free speach is living with the other side of the argument, the alternate viewpoint, the ''offensive'' stuff to some. I'm not talking personal insults or foul language but opinions expressed that somehow annoy or counter the mods own POV. I for on think a mod should rarely, very rarely remove a post, in fact remove never, just edit and indicate it's been edited. Favoratism seems to exist in a few threads too, some can get away with certain things while others are shut down, sort of what was done with the closed post I reference. If I don't like it I can leave, I'm sure that's what someone is about to suggest (given it's free) but think about it next time you read something that seems out of context, you may very well have missed the deleted posts with no sign they were deleted...

JFetter (Jack)
If you think that RCGroups is so wonderful, then ask Mr. Frank Huber why he banned a certain member for a single post. The post in question was removed, so there is no record of exactly what was said. Personally, I wouldn't post on that site if I were paid to do so. It appears to be nothing but a bunch of whiny spark chasers talking about how slick they and their little foam planes are.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-30-2009, 09:39 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill ... its just a hobby, so what if they think their little plane is such a superb thing? I know a guy locally who thinks his GWS Slow Stick is everything in the world. Sounds stupid but I envy him ... he got more excitement out of the Slow Stick than I do with my nice planes. He is really enjoying himself and that is what its about. He's happy.

If you want a frank opinion ... I will say RCG has less problems, less nasty forumers, less nasty comments, less flaming etc. That is a fact. In RCU it happens much more often. But it all boils down to the forumers.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:31 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: KC36330

Moderators should not edit for their agenda. Like ken said we fix bad moderator moves and provide direction for them when the need arises. We already know that no moderator will be perfect but if they do their best at trying to enforce the rules of the site and take direction well we cannot ask for more from these volunteers. If you ever see what you think was a bad call you can contact nathan or myself anytime in confidence and we'll investigate it and take necessary steps as applicable

marc
Old 07-30-2009, 02:35 PM
KC36330

Marc

I'll PM you a link to one of the posts where the moderator edited someone else's post for his own agenda, I've seen the same one do it on several other occasions but i don't recall off the top of my head which threads they were in.

kc
Old 07-30-2009, 03:02 PM
mvigod
Banned

KC - as you know I investigated that one thread and the moderator does show "edited by:...." on the next post but the revision version (which we keep all in the database after every edit) is word for word and space for space identical to the posters original. It looks to me like he may have tried to edit the wrong post and in doing so it painted it with the "edited by:" but the content was actually unchanged.

marc
Old 07-30-2009, 03:18 PM
ctdahle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people may remember that there was once another site where a thread like THIS ONE would have been deleted! Given the success of RCU, I think the moderation is being handled pretty well. There have been RC forum sites where there was NO moderation, but they don't seem to have survived (Flightlines for example).

The great thing that has happened here is that it has grown into a collection of forums where just about anyone can find a home.

There are places for obsessively tech oriented, those deeply involved in particular types of flying, or types of models, and a nice general "clubhouse" where the types of RC conversations we would have if we were in a real brick and mortar clubhouse occur.

In general, I see a substantially tolerant management and a largely polite user base. RCU seems to me to be an example of an RC modeling forum site in it's maturity. A site that allows diversity of viewpoint and opinion, but is intolerant of name calling and interpersonal altercations.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:28 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Interesting thread.

After modding 3 forums here for over 7 years, it was time for a break.

It is not easy, and I respect those that keep the forums clean. All modded and deleted threads are really not deleted. They go into a "holding tank" so they can be looked back on later. One of the biggest drawbacks of retiring is not being able to read the "holding tank" as it made for some entertaining reading. The mods also have a "mod only" forum where they discuss certain threads when a moderator is not sure on the proper course of action based on RCU rules.

It really all comes back to the rules and how they are interpreted by each of the moderators. Savvy posters have learned how to bypass parts of the rules, but in most cases it is not a problem.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:21 PM
tIANci

Its a hobby ... let's have FUN!
Old 08-02-2009, 02:35 AM
Smacka

A Moderator has the same thankless job as a baseball umpire. I have seen both jobs, I want neither. A great many people on RCU play nice in the sandbox, a few do not. It is at these times that the Moderators do their jobs, regardless of popular opinion.

I was new to this site about a year ago. It was not long before a few highly opinionated people bullied me in a couple of threads. All I was trying to accomplish was to get answers to questions I had. Apparently, I was an "idiot" "noobie" who should not have been posting in a particular forum because there were a group of "Holy Rollers" who had no time for "dumb questions"

Bottom line, the Moderators stepped in and set the score straight. They also took the time to answer my noobie questions, and welcomed me to the site.

I use the site to gain a better perspective on my hobby...as another tool in my toolbox. I like the fact that there are Moderators to keep the bullies under wraps.

In my humble opinion, read the by-laws of RCU. If you agree to abide by them, you are welcome to stay. If you do not agree to abide by them, you are welcome to leave. It does not mean you are a bad person. It just means that you cannot post on this site. You need to post elsewhere.

Seems fair to me...
Old 08-02-2009, 05:32 AM
outdoorhunting

All forumers ( is that a word?) have opinions.. Most come from the "upper part of their anatomy, a few come from their (lower part). We just have to sort them out. It's usually pretty easy to do. Yes, the moderators here at RCU do a GREAT job!!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 05:41 PM
skeeter_ca

I belong to a couple other forums, unrelated to rc, and sometimes those guys really go at it. It is fun to just set back and listen to what they are slamming each other about. But i tell you i personally would not want to be on that side of the fence. I'm glad that this place is moderated as well as it is. It would also be neat to see what's inside that "holding tank".

skeeter
Old 08-03-2009, 05:49 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Frankly the Containment Forum (Holding Tank) is pretty boring. Most of it is just duplicate posts and SPAM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Live Wire

Check out the slide show it is something else. Great Job RCU. And thanks.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:34 AM
Grampaw

What does "RCG" stand for? Must have missed thet one.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:48 AM
tIANci

ORIGINAL: Grampaw

What does ''RCG'' stand for? Must have missed thet one.
Another RC forum called RC Groups.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:32 AM
outdoorhunting

Geesh, Sir LiveWire. Over 3000 !!!!! There's NO stopping you !!!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Live Wire

Trying to get a score that matches my posts. At this rate its not going to take long
Old 08-04-2009, 08:35 AM
outdoorhunting

Here's five atcha !!!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Live Wire

Theres got to be some kind of a gimick here Maybe I am pushing the wrong keys, Well heck you guys just as well give up you won't catch me now
And I am not putting SIR on my Screen.

Just think we could have the people here from the ARF nation then where would I be.
Out in the shop building where I should be
Old 08-04-2009, 10:46 AM
outdoorhunting

Ah,come on. When ya get THAT many points, either you're awfully good, or have figured out something we haven't. Either way, you have earned the "Sir" ranking.. hehehehe
Old 08-04-2009, 10:48 AM
outdoorhunting

OK, SLW, What have ya done? I just noticed my score jumped a 100 points, I'm not worthy !!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 10:49 AM
outdoorhunting

Although,Sir Outdoorhunting does have a good ring to it !!!!! hehehehehehe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.