Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

An ARF Nation

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:14 PM
SlabBro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: An ARF Nation

I'm a moderator in another forum, and my rules are simple:If it is truthful and respectful, it stays. If I had to delete a post, it wouldn't be done without notice and reason. These guys will not tollerate badmouthing arf's cause those suppliers are the advertisers here and the site values their dollars more than your opinions. The site is afraid that by you comparing arf's to the fall of the country morales in general, you will degrade their sales and that will not be tolerated.

The opinions here that I have read so far have much right about them, and if the comparisons were to farmers rather than airplanes, the posts would probably still be in place.

We HAVE become a nation of consumers for the most part, and there will be a price paid for that. Personally, I think this site is an example of what's wrong with country. You can only have freedom of speech in this site as long as it's positive to the advertisers so they keep giving money to the site.

It doesn't matter here if the opinions given in this site are respectful and truthful or not. If they may offend the dollor, you're deleted. Just another "symptom" of what's wrong in this country.

I'm sure this will be deleted also
Old 08-09-2009, 07:16 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

all that typing for this thread? please let this thread die..
Old 08-09-2009, 07:18 PM
SlabBro

The first page was enough for me, the post is in response to some things on the beginning of the thread
Old 08-09-2009, 07:23 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Thank you clubmaster for your input! God bless! Bob
Old 08-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

With all the energy and time spent on all the responses, One coud possibly ascertain everyone involved in this discussion has their ARF's, Kits and/or scratch builts completed and have nothing better to do with their time.. Personally, I am wrapping up the fitting of the cowl and gluing of the elevators on my GP Giant Super Sportster ARF!! But wait, I didn't use the stock hinges so is it still an ARF? After all, I did deviate from the supplied parts, went and supported my local hobby shop for the hinges and Home Depot for the Gorilla glue. Maybe now this has turned into a kit with major sub assemblies supplied...
Old 08-09-2009, 07:39 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny ted, but seriously I have enough projects to keep me busy for a while, between all the kits and the arf or two in the pile, the cj-7 and the boats, I've plenty of stuff to whittle away at. I just got done doing house chores and laundry along with some nice downtime scritching the cats and putzing away cleaning the car canopy out so I can bring the cj home from the parents garage where it's been stored forever.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:50 PM
weezle

ORIGINAL: Tx_RcFlyer

With all the energy and time spent on all the responses, One coud possibly ascertain everyone involved in this discussion has their ARF's, Kits and/or scratch builts completed and have nothing better to do with their time.. Personally, I am wrapping up the fitting of the cowl and gluing of the elevators on my GP Giant Super Sportster ARF!! But wait, I didn't use the stock hinges so is it still an ARF? After all, I did deviate from the supplied parts, went and supported my local hobby shop for the hinges and Home Depot for the Gorilla glue. Maybe now this has turned into a kit with major sub assemblies supplied...
I'm waiting on batteries from fromeco scale avionics
Old 08-09-2009, 07:51 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: cubmaster126

I'm a moderator in another forum, and my rules are simple:If it is truthful and respectful, it stays. If I had to delete a post, it wouldn't be done without notice and reason. These guys will not tollerate badmouthing arf's cause those suppliers are the advertisers here and the site values their dollars more than your opinions. The site is afraid that by you comparing arf's to the fall of the country morales in general, you will degrade their sales and that will not be tolerated.

The opinions here that I have read so far have much right about them, and if the comparisons were to farmers rather than airplanes, the posts would probably still be in place.

We HAVE become a nation of consumers for the most part, and there will be a price paid for that. Personally, I think this site is an example of what's wrong with country. You can only have freedom of speech in this site as long as it's positive to the advertisers so they keep giving money to the site.

It doesn't matter here if the opinions given in this site are respectful and truthful or not. If they may offend the dollor, you're deleted. Just another "symptom" of what's wrong in this country.

As the Forum Manager for RCU I'll tell you that this statement is absolutely false. Here at RCUwe do not moderate according to who our advertisers are. We moderate our forums based solely on the RCUCommunity Rules, and nothing else. You can search our forums and find numerous threads and posts that have negative things to say about the companies that advertise here on RCU. If we removed every negative comment about an advertiser's products there would be a large portion of our posts that would be gone. In fact, we pride ourselves on the honest and open forum that we provide to our members in order for to discuss issues or problems they may be having with a given product. This is what RCUis all about.

If you don't believe me then Ichallenge you to do some searches on our forums and find out for yourself just how many negative posts we have.

A search on "OSengine problems" results in 8,100+posts
http://search.rcuniverse.com/search....archwhere=both

A search on "Saito engine problems" results in almost 3,000 posts

These are just two of the endless number of searches that could be done on our advertiser's products, and you will still find the same thing in all of them in that there are numerous posts and they are all allowed to stay on RCU.

Ken
Old 08-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: planebuilder66

See, it can be a good thing, as long as we all collectivly enjoy aspects of the hobby this is fine, I actually envision the old days when I think of this hobby, good old dad at the field with a pipe in his mouth holding that creation he called his own that took him months to design and build, but it sure did fly great. I may not have such a classy past as him, but I still remember going to the field and hanging out with the old wise men and listening to thier stories and enjoying the company of all. hat is what the hobby means to me, kinda like the coleman comercials, the originators of the first sociual network, this hobby was mine outside of parental guidence and within. I enjoy almost all aspects of it and above all,....the people, technoligy has advanced, and RCU is great to an extent, I can have a debate or conversation on it, but it's one notch below a phone call, there are alot of things written in text that are taken the wrong way when read in an fourm. They are just words, and unless we start writing alot better to convey emotion, I find it hard to diferentiate between a sympathetic reply and a agressive reply, it all depends on your mood when you read it. If your miffed in the first place, the reply will come across as negative, but when your in good spirits, it may be read in a positive manner. So I ask myself to read each reply in a good meaning mannor, unless they are flaming me beyond reason, then I stomp back, nahhhh, your entitled your oppinion as well and I respect that, isn't this country great?
I think that you have hit the nail squarely on the head. I don't ever intend for my posts to be aggressive, or mean, but they are often taken that way. I just wish that all could experience the thrill of drawing, cutting and building their own designs, and then seeing them take flight. There is an obvious place for ARF/RTF models, but they are not the end all and be all of this hobby.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 08-09-2009, 08:36 PM
tbone257

Ok the thing i dont get it. is why you guys think ARF's are so bad. they are getting people into the hobby because they are inexpensive and are made good. so if anything they are helping the hobby grow, because they are bring a lot of new people into the hobby. also there are a lot of people still building airplanes.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:49 PM
rkimmerle

I think the initial argument of this post is a little over the top. Come on, it's a hobby! Not rocket science. I only fly arf's and will most likely never build. I would rather use that time with my family instead of with a piece of balsa. When I do manage to have a little time, I would rather fly. Plus I spend my entire day creating as a designer and artist. No need to do it as a hobby. America is not declining in it's abilities. It's changing. Re-prioritizing. If you don't like change, then build. Building is a great hobby. But flying is even better!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every year fewer and fewer people build their own. Most of those who do, are getting older, and we all know what that brings. Who do you know that draws, cuts and builds their own who are younger than 40?

Flying is a great hobby. Flying what you have built is even more fun. Where is the pride?

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 08-09-2009, 09:32 PM
SlabBro

ORIGINAL: RCKen

It doesn't matter here if the opinions given in this site are respectful and truthful or not. If they may offend the dollor, you're deleted. Just another ''symptom'' of what's wrong in this country.

As the Forum Manager for RCU I'll tell you that this statement is absolutely false. Here at RCU we do not moderate according to who our advertisers are. We moderate our forums based solely on the RCU Community Rules, and nothing else. You can search our forums and find numerous threads and posts that have negative things to say about the companies that advertise here on RCU. If we removed every negative comment about an advertiser's products there would be a large portion of our posts that would be gone. In fact, we pride ourselves on the honest and open forum that we provide to our members in order for to discuss issues or problems they may be having with a given product. This is what RCU is all about.

If you don't believe me then I challenge you to do some searches on our forums and find out for yourself just how many negative posts we have.

A search on ''OS engine problems'' results in 8,100+ posts

A search on ''Saito engine problems'' results in almost 3,000 posts

These are just two of the endless number of searches that could be done on our advertiser's products, and you will still find the same thing in all of them in that there are numerous posts and they are all allowed to stay on RCU.

Ken
I've had posts deleted in this site for stating factual faults of products in this site!! And it's not about the venders in this site? Then why at one point did you guys knowingly allow advertisements of remote launchers awhile back even though they are in no way shape or form allowed by the AMA?? If it'snot about the venders, then why would you promote essentially illegal products?Cause they PAID for advertisement, even though it was wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2009, 09:51 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had posts deleted in this site for stating factual faults of products in this site!! And it's not about the venders in this site? Then why at one point did you guys knowingly allow advertisements of remote launchers awhile back even though they are in no way shape or form allowed by the AMA?? If it'snot about the venders, then why would you promote essentially illegal products?Cause they PAID for advertisement, even though it was wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Iwould have to see the post that you had removed to tell you why it was removed, so Iwon't make direct comments about that at this time. As I stated above, we do not delete posts based on advertising dollars, although it is possible that a Moderator made a mistake withthe deletion of your post. The Moderators on RCUare only human and are prone to make mistakes just like anybody else. If you felt that a post was removed incorrectly you can direct the matter to any Community Moderator, myself, our Administrator Nathan, or directly to Marc and they will look at the situation and see what happened.

Remote launchers for rockets are NOTillegal items. Yes, the AMA Safety Code directs that they will not be used.But this does not make them illegal items. It only means that they can not be used at any AMAflying field or sanctioned event. But it definitely does not make them illegal. The AMAis not a law enforcement agency of any kind and cannot make items such as this illegal. They are a sanctioning body, as well as an insurance provider, which means that the limit of what they can enforce can only extend as far as their membership goes and no further. They cannot dictate what can and cannot be sold in a marketplace such as that on RCU if the item being sold is legal in the area it is being sold to. The AMAdoes not cover all RC flying in this country and definitely does not extend to countries outside of the United States. RCU is a global site with many members living outside of the reach of the AMA, and these people definitely do not fall under the rules of the AMA. These are the facts that were in play about the incident you are referring to, and definitely had nothing to do with any advertising dollars being paid to RCU.

Ken
Old 08-09-2009, 09:54 PM
SlabBro

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Every year fewer and fewer people build their own. Most of those who do, are getting older, and we all know what that brings. Who do you know that draws, cuts and builds their own who are younger than 40?

Flying is a great hobby. Flying what you have built is even more fun. Where is the pride?

Bill, Waco Brother #1
I have to build my own from kits!! I fly Swany planes and a kit is the only way you can get them anymore! I'm 34, and am teaching my 10 year old solo pilot I taught to build kits. It's not that building is dying, it's not being passed along from generation to genreation, the pride of the build. Go to the fields and you'll see 2 generations usually. the 60 and up group and the 30 something and younger group. I wholly agree that RTF's,ARF's, and 3D is what has kept this hobby going, cause there is such a large gap between the generations that wasn't bridged at some point, somehow. And the worst thing is, the two groups usually at some point bump heads cause they have two different views of the hobby, when we should be sharing all the experience between all. both groups have alot to learn from each!! But what usually happens is the old cj with the fokker sits there and criticizes the younger flyer for how he flies(usually 3D is involved)and the young pilot instead of wanting to learn the years of knowledge from the veteran retaliates by going against everything the vetern says. Sad, but I have seen it first hand!!!
The veterans could learn new ways,moves in flying from the young and the young could learn the physics and setup of a good plane from the veteran. Ask a newer pilot what mechanical differential is, and half have no idea, but the old guys know.We should be sharing, not hating between the generations
Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 PM
SlabBro

You read the new NOTAM's lately? You guys turning a bunch of idiots onto launchers is the very crap that's gonna get this hobby so regulated it's gonna hurt!!!!! I can't deal with you idiots anymore, cancel my membership and GO FIND SOME COMMON SENSE!!!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:30 PM
mvigod
Banned

cubmaster216,

you, as can any other member, go to "my account" atop any page and cancel your account anytime you choose.

Also if you think we are dictated solely by advertisers and that we do not allow posts because they say bad things about our advertisers OR that we allow things to stand because of our advertisers then take my bet here. Pay me $10 for every instance I find on this site which disproves your claim You are going to have to put a large 6 figure number in escrow before I start compiling the list of less then flattering posts on RCU related to our advertisers or their products. If you are serious about your accusations and are willing to back it up I'll put up the money personally. Once escrow is funded and held in attorneys escrow trust I will begin culling these posts en masse.

As far as an advertiser or non-advertiser post never getting pulled of course that is not always the case but it depends on if the post breaks our rules. No deference is given to a post simply because somebody is or was an advertiser here. If it is factual and not posted in a bashing manner (i.e. xyz company sucks, this product sucks) then the posts will always stand. If they do not then a moderator has made an error. I'd bet of our 9 million posts we have several hundred thousand unflattering posts related to advertisers or their products. I've lost advertisers and dollars that supported RCU over this policy many times but for us it is the right way to run a forum if it is to have any real value for the readership.

Also the AMA does not dictate what is legal or illegal in our country.

marc
Old 08-09-2009, 11:00 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

[8D]With all due respect to all opinions, I will throw in my 2 cents worth.
I am not totally buying into the "I don't have time to build with raising a family or I want to spend more
time with my family, etc. etc.".

I got heavily into the hobby/sport in the early 1980's and started building kits, which I still thoroughly enjoy.
I had three growing elementary age boys during that period. I had time to spend with my kids, in addition
to building and flying r/c kits. We were involved in scouting, camping trips, soccer, track, basketball, etc.
You name it.

I have never bought an ARF nor plan to do so. But, to each his own.

As a famous newsman, who recently died, always said at the end of his broadcasts, "that's the way it is".

Amen.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Smacka

Hi All:
Wow, what an evening/night. Somewhere around 4:30 PM a long line of slow moving severe weather hit our area. We had two confirmed tornados touch down, with hail the size of golf balls, high winds and driving rain. Our power went out and just came up moments ago. Damn kit builders caused this mess, I tell ya...*snicker*

Well, I have read some very good posts since I was away. Also, the flavor has turned to tolerance of others views (myself included here).

Someday I want to draw up my own design and build it from scratch. I wonder though, since I still have to abide by physics and general Aerospace laws how different will my own design really be? I mean, to fly correctly there are rules that still have to be obeyed...thrust lines...dihedral...wing loading...stab and main wing locations...etc...

When all is said and done, maybe the biggest difference will be the color scheme(?). Is that enough individuality to warrant such a time investment? I am not sure...

I know some companies have their test pilots who do a lot of flying to scrub out their ARF designs. Sure seems like a lot of qualification testing to undertake in order to build my own.

Hmmmmm...
Old 08-09-2009, 11:07 PM
TimT2000

Well there's your problem,,, you think TV takes up all your time,,, What are you doing right now? Me too! Ha Ha.
I spend all day at work using my left hand on the mouse so I can spend all night using my right, that didn't come out right!
I have a new Hangar9 P-47 150 size ARF on the bench right now. can I work on it,, no,, first I need to read all the fourms
and research all the parts I need. It's gotta have smoke,, off to youtube,, yes smoke looks great. What? NatGeo is draining
the oceans! When will I find time to build the ARF??

I am like others on here,, I have 4 major hobbies and sports right now,, I use to build in my younger years,, I'm 45 now and
have been grabbing life by the horns. Should I slow down,, dump some hobbies and build a P-47? I want to.. But I want it now!

What have I become...LOL Cheers to you all,, have fun Tim
Old 08-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Smacka

I hope I do not speak out of turn when I say this but...here goes...

The Moderators and I have been in contact. The flavor of the conversation was extremely upbeat and positive. As it was explained to me, they are trying to let threads run their course and just watch from the cheap seats. If, in their opinion, it gets too out of hand, they will step in. Else they will let it ride.

Maybe there was a time that this approach was not used at RCU. Okay, well it is the current approach and it seems to work just fine. I hope posters like Cub will continue to share because I can learn anything, from anybody. I'm sure there are some things he has to say that I want to hear.

I hope he can come to terms with it and hang out awhile...

Peace out,
Old 08-09-2009, 11:34 PM
TimT2000

ORIGINAL: JCOKEEFE

[8D]With all due respect to all opinions, I will throw in my 2 cents worth.
I am not totally buying into the ''I don't have time to build with raising a family or I want to spend more
time with my family, etc. etc.''.

I got heavily into the hobby/sport in the early 1980's and started building kits, which I still thoroughly enjoy.
I had three growing elementary age boys during that period. I had time to spend with my kids, in addition
to building and flying r/c kits. We were involved in scouting, camping trips, soccer, track, basketball, etc.
You name it.

I have never bought an ARF nor plan to do so. But, to each his own.

As a famous newsman, who recently died, always said at the end of his broadcasts, ''that's the way it is''.

Amen.

Jerry, In the 1980's there were 63 hrs. in a day,, This is 2009 with only 19 hrs. in a day. Humm,, that dosn't
sound right,,, must be something else. What is it? When I was young, seemed we had time to even be relaxed.
What has changed?,, Do other people feel this way? Cheers Tim
Old 08-09-2009, 11:38 PM
rkimmerle

JCOKEEFE,

In regards to: "I am not totally buying into the "I don't have time to build with raising a family or I want to spend more time with my family, etc. etc."

I stated: " I would RATHER use that time with my family instead of with a piece of balsa."

I could make time. I don't want to make time. I want to fly. That's the point of ARF's. It's about flying. Not building.

If we all wanted to build, there would be no ARF's. If we all wanted to fly, their would be no kits. That's why there is both. I'm not trying to sell anything. So there is nothing for you to buy.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:48 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

I like it all and not limited to kits, arfs, remote rocket launchers-This is a hobby which I left for over 20 years-then one day I open my old box in the shed, you know the one with your old engines and radios and flying junk-and that is when I took ill again and caught the fever. I wonder where will this hobby be in 20 more years-type of models (arfs, composites plug and play)

I will always be in my shop-redoing something and enjoying every minute in my sanctuary.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:29 AM
psb667

This is an interesting post. I personally go out everyday and get paid to do something that the person who is paying me either cant do himself is unsure if he can do it himself or occasionally has already done wrong himself. This is how i make my living and is how i have made my living for a long time. I cant actually see anything wrong with bying arfs as I am a very skilled person and can build a kit that flys. however many people cant they simply lack the experience to do so. Arfs give you a plane to fly or a car to race without the frustration of having to start all over again when you discover youve put the spars in backwards or something. Most will fix the plane or whatever model rather than giving up and after awhile some get so good they build kits themselves because now they have gained the experience to. As for Americans not doing it themselves maybe you should get out and look around. Those who wont are on wellfare and many who will cant find a job because some ceo decided he'd make a bigger bonus if the chinese did it instead. You can make it about politics if you want or you can start going and doing something about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.