Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

QQ Aircraft junk

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Bill Martovich
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QQ Aircraft junk

Well I just had a 102" yak come apart on the taxi run of it's maiden flight. That about says it . the plywood of the engine bulkhead seperated and the engine fell off. Nice, I had renforced the entire engine box as I normally do but. who woud figure that the plywood would seperate? I understand the business is closed , no wonder,

Wemart
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57225.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1249265  
Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 AM
outdoorhunting

Default RE: QQ Aircraft junk

Sorry about the bad luck. It seems like anymore you can't trust anybody's workmanship. Who wouldv'e thought, plywood seperating.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! [X(]

Good thing it happened on the ground!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Live Wire

Good old light ply , I bet it looked like a chicken with ist head just chopped off[:@]
Old 08-03-2009, 11:03 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you got a bad one. My friend has the same plane and he flew the thing like he stole it. Hard snaps and all. Nothing ever came loose. Someone needs to replace a whole plane for you! I hope they will not say you forgot to balance the prop!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:11 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Bill Martovich

Well I just had a 102'' yak come apart on the taxi run of it's maiden flight. That about says it . the plywood of the engine bulkhead seperated and the engine fell off. Nice, I had renforced the entire engine box as I normally do but. who woud figure that the plywood would seperate? I understand the business is closed , no wonder,

Wemart
Well, putting a ZDZ 210 on it was a little much...you think? LOL

Really what engine?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I just had a 102'' yak come apart on the taxi run of it's maiden flight. That about says it . the plywood of the engine bulkhead seperated and the engine fell off. Nice, I had renforced the entire engine box as I normally do but. who woud figure that the plywood would seperate? I understand the business is closed , no wonder,

Wemart
Hopefully, you made the same post in the ARF Forum too.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 08-03-2009, 03:40 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I hate it for you. Thankfully for most QQ plane owners this is a fluke.

David
Old 08-04-2009, 05:20 PM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to ARFs. I am glad your hand wasn't in front of it when it came apart.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Smacka

Bill M:
First things first, I am sorry for what happened, however I am glad that no one was physically hurt!! This is really unfortunate for a few reasons. Please do not take what I am about to write as an insult. I am trying to learn from your situation.

1) QQ Aircraft is no more. There is no one to hold accountable for this very unfortunate situation. I know QuiQue S. would feel horrible about this.

2) I noticed from your picture that there was angle stock around the inside of the engine box. Was there any additional support around the outside perimeter of the engine box? Can you think of anything more you could have done during the build to shore up the engine box? I have a 33% that used angle aluminum and bolts around the entire engine box perimeter.

3) Is there a chance that you installed too much engine and pulled the engine box apart? Please do not get upset. I am trying to forensic the situation and look for ways to improve my builds.

Anything that you may think of will help my future builds. Again, I hate to see your aircraft in this manner, especially on the maiden flight.

Thank you for your help,
Smacka
Old 08-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Live Wire

Just like Dirt Bike Motorcycles. They are not built to be road the way they are You take your chances with any thing some one else builds. Build it your self and you will have it the way you want, and no one else to blame
What I don't like is paying for some thing you have to DO OVER in order to fly.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Bill Martovich

OK to answer a post above.
The engine is a 3w 106 Ideal for this aircraft and certainlly no too much for it. I never used much more that 1/4 throttle as this was a taxi test before flight.

Yes I gusseted the front of the engine box as well these gussets came off with the firewall and remained on it.

There were no pins or screws into the edge of the firewall except for 1 that was intended to hols a wire clamp.

I have spoken to the folks at QQ aircraft back when I bought this plane , about the wing bracing that it required, I found them to be helpfull and I'm pretty sure they would have offered some assistance???. On the other hand this problem comes from the manufacture on the plywood, and the type of construction used. The fire wall thickness was not a single piece of 3/8 or 10mm plywood but built up from 3 thicknesses of 1/8 lite ply. I was able to seperete these with a knife blade. The first thickness is what failed though.

I have built many large ARFs and have re enforced the engine box on all of them. I just recieved a Lainer 80cc edge from a friend to build and the engine box looks so weak I would be afraid to put an electric motor on it. I'm not sure what motors the chinese use over there but they always build the engine box too light. This one (the qq yak) seemed better . who knew the plywood would come apart.
On Nitro planes I have to re sheet the whole box as the glue they use is awfull .

Your angle alum stock Idea seems severe but probably necessary. The only real solution is to remove the engine firewall and rebuild a good one using real plywood. I don't think Epoxy ever got to China either.

Bill
Old 08-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Live Wire

To sell as low as they do , They ,this means any one will produce a product at lowest cost to able to make the most profit Lite ply for a Fire wall is one thing, Hot glue, and Cheep LABOR.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:22 AM
tIANci

What do you all mean no one is accountable? You purchased it from the LHS, they have to replace it if not money back. I am sure its not of merchantable quality.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Live Wire

tIANci
Legally the hobby shop is not liable. On most Items it has on it do not return to retailer, returns must be returned to manufacturer service. When a LHS replaces, or returns investment it is PR. They still have to return the merchandise to get credit or replacement. It gets interesting how laws work for both sides
Larry K
I had a LHS at one time
Old 08-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Smacka

OK to answer a post above.
The engine is a 3w 106 Ideal for this aircraft and certainlly no too much for it. I never used much more that 1/4 throttle as this was a taxi test before flight.

Yes I gusseted the front of the engine box as well these gussets came off with the firewall and remained on it.

There were no pins or screws into the edge of the firewall except for 1 that was intended to hols a wire clamp.

I have spoken to the folks at QQ aircraft back when I bought this plane , about the wing bracing that it required, I found them to be helpfull and I'm pretty sure they would have offered some assistance???. On the other hand this problem comes from the manufacture on the plywood, and the type of construction used. The fire wall thickness was not a single piece of 3/8 or 10mm plywood but built up from 3 thicknesses of 1/8 lite ply. I was able to seperete these with a knife blade. The first thickness is what failed though.

I have built many large ARFs and have re enforced the engine box on all of them. I just recieved a Lainer 80cc edge from a friend to build and the engine box looks so weak I would be afraid to put an electric motor on it. I'm not sure what motors the chinese use over there but they always build the engine box too light. This one (the qq yak) seemed better . who knew the plywood would come apart.
On Nitro planes I have to re sheet the whole box as the glue they use is awfull .

Your angle alum stock Idea seems severe but probably necessary. The only real solution is to remove the engine firewall and rebuild a good one using real plywood. I don't think Epoxy ever got to China either.

Bill
Yeah, I thought the aluminum was possibly overkill but I did not want the DA 100 to yank the engine box off the bird. On most ARF's, I sand the engine box real well, then apply thin CA in every nook and cranie. I then epoxy all corners. I also pin all sides of the front of the box, usually drill and install dowel pins with epoxy. Lastly, I apply 3-4 coats of varnish (light sand in between coats) to complete the job. I agree that most ARF's way overlook the engine box.

I hope you are able to get some form of resolution...
Old 08-06-2009, 02:10 AM
tIANci

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

tIANci
Legally the hobby shop is not liable. On most Items it has on it do not return to retailer, returns must be returned to manufacturer service. When a LHS replaces, or returns investment it is PR. They still have to return the merchandise to get credit or replacement. It gets interesting how laws work for both sides
Larry K
I had a LHS at one time
Larry ... I find that most interesting when the goods were purchased from the LHS. There is a contractual relationship between LHS and buyer. Warranty from the manufacturer is an extra service, an added bonus. It does not absolve the LHS from selling something that is not of merchantable quality. That is the British standard and I am sure US is even higher as the US laws are much better that British laws.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Silent-AV8R

There is no "contractural" arrangement when you buy a product from a LHS here in the US. In fact most manufacturers tell you that for any kind of warranty issue to return directly to them and NOT to the LHS. Since QQ folded up his company to go to work at Horizon there is little that can be done in this case.

As far as quality issues go, it is hit or miss. I saw one of the early Hangar 9 42% Ultimate biplane ARFs lose its engine on final. Just fell totally off the front of the plane. Firewall had split and then pulled off. ARFs are getting better, but like I said, some are better than others.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:13 AM
tIANci

Silent ... that is interesting ... most interesting.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Live Wire

tiANci
Yes it is hard to believe that business is what it is but here in the states people are different and what I call play by different rules They love to sue people just because they can and make money at it. The small LHS has to take care of their customers in order to stay in business. They are not the ones that produce the item but are the end of the line for proffit. What is call a big box store can write off refunds and replacement items, and just throw the item in the trash. The LHS has to get the item replace by the poducer or loose his investment and then you would see another LHS close their doors.
Well I better back off, seem like I still miss my friends from the shop.
Larry K
Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 PM
tIANci

Even with HC being cheap I still believe we need to support the LHS its always fun to hang out there.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Smacka

I believe the "out" for any LHS and/or Manufacturer of ARF's is a simple disclaimer in every build manual I have read, whether it is on paper or DVD/CD, which states that the manufacturer has no control over the build habits of the end item user, therefore no warranty is expressed, implied or given. The product has a warranty against "manufacture defects" that are discovered prior to the build.

That is why all manufacturers instruct the purchaser to carefully inspect each piece in the box(es) upon arrival and BEFORE you start assembly.

That said, I have had some manufacturers back their products 100% in the past (not all of them). I have NEVER had an LHS step up to the plate and back a defect issue.

Without a "willing" manufacturer (QQ Closing its doors), what recourse is left?

Have fun
Old 08-07-2009, 12:55 AM
tIANci

ORIGINAL: Smacka

Without a ''willing'' manufacturer (QQ Closing its doors), what recourse is left?

Have fun
Sad situation for the hobbyist ...
Old 08-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a long time after getting into this hobby I designed and built my own planes, copying the designs that were being published in those days by names like Bridi, Dewey, Kraft and others. Their models were designed for strength, and one thing they all had in common was a very strong Firewall. Made mostly of Plywood, but they were always HARD Ply. I had my share of first time crashes, but in most cases the Firewalls were reusable, after a cleanup of course.

Then many years later I got my first ARF and I managed to allow it to hit terra firma in what appeared to be a minor "bounce," and got the surprise of my life! The fuselage side was
split from behind the Firewall all the way back to the horizontal stab, and the remaining structure was unrepairable. It was all made of Lite Ply! Models of the past would have just bounced, probably broke a prop blade and got grass stain on the fuselage, but they didn't come apart from that. I have gotten some kits with Firewalls that looked a tad too thin, and threw them out and replaced them with at least 1/4 inch hard ply, just for my own peace of mind.

When I read where the Firewall on the aforementioned model was made up of three layers of
1/8 Lite Ply I almost fell out of this chair! No wonder it came apart! I'm surprised it even made it out to the Active Runway. Lite Ply is my main beef with ARFS.

This is my opinion, but I've always been a firm believer in a solid Firewall.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:54 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Bill !

I am so very glad that it didn't do that while you were starting the engine !

It would have be a major disaster and maybe worse..

So much for - - - 's

My friend has a house full of Arf's and Rtf's that have not more than two or three flights and have been retired for one reason or another some more not even or ever completed ... He is a good rc pilot and is an insturctor, plus I have known him for 35 years... but he has a head as hard as a rock. He does great on the DIY aircraft though.

I've have two ARF's, I have re-engineered but that's enough for me ! Think I will pull them out at the next club meeting and have the safety officers give them full safety inspections and certify them safe. if they are!

Why not have a buddy check them out, you maybe surprised and darn glad to know what may show up.

I just won't buy ARF's anymore period, of course I don't use APC Props either.

Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.