Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Who can write a product review on RCU?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Who can write a product review on RCU?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:59 PM
skeeter_ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who can write a product review on RCU?

Do you have to be someone special? If not what kind of format does it need to be in. Pictures? Is there someone to help edit for spelling, grammer mistakes? Who do you submit it to?

skeeter
Old 08-13-2009, 07:38 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Who can write a product review on RCU?

There is a user review section were you can submit your own review of products that you use. But if you want to be a product reviewer for RCU where your reviews are published in our RCU online Magazine then you must be approved to do so. To be a product reviewer on RCU you must edit your own spelling and grammer. Also, you will need a DSLR camera to take construction/assembly pictures as well as your actions shots. In addition, you will need a video camera to shoot video of your using the product in action, and you will need to have the ability to edit and produce the final video that goes with the review. You will also need to be able to write and edit the HTML code used in the final review that appears online. You will be responsible for the layout and look of the final page, within a few given guidelines for the overall content of the final page. All of this is the responsibility of the reviewer and nobody will do it for you. Most reviews are given a 45 day window to complete the review.

Does this answer your questions??

Ken
Old 08-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IF you have the following skills, there's no reason why you can't be a reviewer.

Good RC knowledge (obvious)
Strong web design skills
At least 'some' photohop skill
Photography skills
Video (including editing) skills
A friend to either drive or take pics/video of decent quality while you are doing driving/photographing.
And most importantly... the natural ability to write something that sounds interesting and is grammatically and orthographically correct.

(I occasionally write car reviews for RCU)
Old 08-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn that Ken, he always beats me to the punch.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:52 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Damn that Ken, he always beats me to the punch.
Funny thing is that Ihavent been on the computer all day long!!!!

As Foxy said, you will need somebody to help you get your pictures and video. And trust me, it's easier to get somebody to fly or drive for you than it is to find somebody that can shoot good pictures and video.

If you look in the RCUmagazine at the people that have done product reviews you will see that the largest majority of the names there have only done one review. That's because they think they are getting "free product" for the review, but find out there is a lot of work in doing a review. Trust me, there isn't anything "free" about it. After the work that it takes to produce a quality review it's cheaper to just go out and buy the product yourself.

Ken
Old 08-13-2009, 10:19 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You also have to be at least 6' 4" tall, have wavy hair, a muscular build, perfect teeth, and at least one family member who has been cannonized.

All kidding aside, anyone MAY write reviews for RCU, not many people CAN  - OR - care to do more than one, once they see how much work is involved.

Basically, you need to give up R/C as your hobby and make REVIEWING your hobby. I have had many seasons where I went out only once or twice all year just to fly. All the other times, I'm maidening a new plane, or shooting video, or taking pictures, or sitting in the basement, building, writing, editing pictures and videos, putting HTML pages together, Etc.

Wanna see something?

Go to RCU Magazine, Click on the "By Author" filter.

Choose the first author and see how many reviews he did.

Then go to the next author and do the same. Go through the entire list and see how many authors have done 2 reviews or less. You'll find that MOST authors have less than 3 or 4 - tops.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:32 PM
skeeter_ca

Wow, didn't think it would be that difficult. You guys make it look so easy. But i suppose there are alot of things that people don't realize that goes into these reviews. I was not even considering getting free stuff, just wanted to share my experiences of how good or bad the product is. I'm also not looking to bash or berate a product. I saw no reviews done on this product i was thinking about and felt maybe i could contribute something. I however cannot nor wish to spends countless hours doing this. Perhaps i'll just write my own review in the user review section and see how that goes. Maybe if i like doing it enough, i can try to see how i can improve it for my next product.

skeeter
Old 08-15-2009, 05:30 AM
MinnFlyer

Sure, RCU is always looking for good writers! (Who can edit pics and video, and write HTML)
Old 08-16-2009, 11:21 AM
dude7422

you could always copy some ones review you like and change it up a little just enough to call your own heheheee
Old 08-16-2009, 02:31 PM
MinnFlyer

You would still have to shoot pics and video [:@]
Old 08-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

....and at least one family member who has been cannonized.
Shot with a cannon? Or is that shot through a cannon?

(heh, heh)

Old 08-17-2009, 08:44 PM
MinnFlyer

I'm from an Italian family...

It can be either

(or both)