Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

FLYING SITES FOR SO.CAL.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 01:04 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default FLYING SITES FOR SO.CAL.

I'm living in Redondo Beach and used to fly at Mile Square Park, it closed down . Then I flew my sail planes on the cliff in Palos Verdes, the cops kicked us out. Now where is there left to fly?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:43 AM
speedy72vega

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FLYING SITES FOR SO.CAL.

I used to live in Hermosa and Torrance before moving to Colorado. As far as I remember, the only flying fields I knew of were either in Orange County or Sepulveda basin.
Try looking on the AMA website, there is a link to put in your zip and it will list the flying fields that are closest to you.
They won't even let you fly your gliders off of the Esplanade anymore????? People have been flying gliders there for as long as I can remember!!!! What about down by El Porto? Where they sometimes fly the hang gliders? I have seen people flying gliders there too.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Airbike

I thought they allowed some sort of limited flying at Bluff Cove if you got a permit? Did that change?

I think they still fly slope at Pt. Fermin, from light stuff to outrageous power scale soarers.
For engine powered, Sepulveda Basin, near 405/101 in Van Nuys, Turbines, giant scale gassers, nitro, warbirds, pretty much everything.
Also on the East side of LA, there's Whittier Narrows, near 60/605 fwys, No Turbines, but everything else.
There's a couple of electric only fields. Closest to Redondo would be "Field of Dreams" in Harbor City, then there's Eldorado Park off the 605 at South St.

Club fields: OCMA (Orange County Modelers Association): Blackstar filed next to Irvine Lake
PVMAC (Pomona Valley Model Airplane Club) has two fields, though both are pretty good distance from the beach. One is near the 91/71 junction in Chino. The other is way out at the San Bernardino Airport.
Santa Fe Dam Modelers have a field near the 605/210 junction
Canyon Crosswinds have a field near Castaic lake
Old 08-31-2009, 07:40 PM
speedy72vega

ORIGINAL: Airbike

I thought they allowed some sort of limited flying at Bluff Cove if you got a permit? Did that change?

I think they still fly slope at Pt. Fermin, from light stuff to outrageous power scale soarers.
For engine powered, Sepulveda Basin, near 405/101 in Van Nuys, Turbines, giant scale gassers, nitro, warbirds, pretty much everything.
Also on the East side of LA, there's Whittier Narrows, near 60/605 fwys, No Turbines, but everything else.
There's a couple of electric only fields. Closest to Redondo would be ''Field of Dreams'' in Harbor City, then there's Eldorado Park off the 605 at South St.

Club fields: OCMA (Orange County Modelers Association): Blackstar filed next to Irvine Lake
PVMAC (Pomona Valley Model Airplane Club) has two fields, though both are pretty good distance from the beach. One is near the 91/71 junction in Chino. The other is way out at the San Bernardino Airport.
Santa Fe Dam Modelers have a field near the 605/210 junction
Canyon Crosswinds have a field near Castaic lake
Field of dreams must be fairly new, I never knew of any field in Harbor City, i've only been out of Cali for 6 yrs now. Is that at Harbor Park? That's the only place I know of that would have enough room for an airfield..........
The South Bay area isn't very RC friendly, what a shame.
Now, I live only 4 miles from Chatfield State Park in Littleton, Co. We have an amazing airfield that the club maintains. We have a 600' North/South runway, and a 700' East/West runway. Open to all RC, gas, Nitro, electric, turbins, Heli's, everything. Too bad they don't have anything like that in So Cal, i've heard that Sepulveda Basin is an absolute madhouse.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:03 PM
frequent flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I have tried Sepulveda Basin and Whittier Narrows both are an hour drive and a complete Zoo!!!!!
I have about 35 planes and all are quite nice and I don't wish to lose one due to a mid-air crash like I see at the Basin far too often.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:14 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Field of dreams is actually in San Pedro, off of Gaffey just south of Anaheim...it is a few soccer fields interconnected which provides for a large area for flying. It is restricted to electric powered planes (and sail planes)
Old 09-01-2009, 07:23 AM
speedy72vega

ORIGINAL: *JCB*

Field of dreams is actually in San Pedro, off of Gaffey just south of Anaheim...it is a few soccer fields interconnected which provides for a large area for flying. It is restricted to electric powered planes (and sail planes)
Ok, I know where that's at. I never knew there was a flying field there. That's just past 5 points?? A friend of mine has a shop down on Gaffey and Capitol.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Silent-AV8R

Field of Dreams

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...12606&t=h&z=17

It's the big grass area right in the middle of this image

SULA setup acquiring the Field

http://www.soaringunionoflosangeles.org/

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubdetails.aspx?club=964

Field use is limited to the first and third Sunday of each month. I think most weekdays as well. And priority is given to the soccer kids at all times.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:59 PM
skybill

Hi freq. flyr.,
'Usedta' live in Costa Mesa, we flew sailplanes and electrics on the Santa Ana River Channel bluffs behind Estancia High School. Harbor Soaing Society also flew there. Don't know th current stats, lost contact with a lot of troops after I moved to NC in '96. From the sound of what's happening in CA these daze, I'm glad I got out when I did!!!

Blue skyz,
skybill AMA-87838