Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Not A Jet But This Is Not Good!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Not A Jet But This Is Not Good!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Synthetic
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not A Jet But This Is Not Good!

This video is not of a jet but of an RC airplane and a sky diver.

These two don't mix well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpveweAqGYM

Old 09-09-2009, 09:24 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Not A Jet But This Is Not Good!

Nope, not good at all. Wonder where it happend.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

That has to be the height of ignorance to be flying an R/C airplane near the skydivers. That stupid stunt nearly caused a serious incident for the two people under that canopy.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:45 PM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

And why is this on the jet forum?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:55 PM
FILE IFR

I'd have the RC pilot arrested for attempted murder. What a *&^$%@$@ MORON!

For guy shooting and posting the vid on YT.... If he's an AMA member or in the hobby, he's just as much an IDIOT. Thanks for making the hobby look bad, bonehead.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:12 AM
MetallicaJunkie

The pilot is an idiot an should be suspended from flying
Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 AM
A10FLYR

ORIGINAL: jclittle

And why not? Saftey is all pilots concern...everyone should see this stupidity and learn from it. It CAN happen when we least expect it.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:28 AM
MetallicaJunkie

this isnt the jet forum, its the clubhouse but regardless of what forum it is, like JC says... ignorant RC pilots may learn from this
Old 09-10-2009, 02:25 AM
Bugalooob

I doubt they have AMA in their country, I've seen alot of stupid stuff done in foreign countries regarding dangerous RC flying
Old 09-10-2009, 04:58 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming that the pilot had not seen the parachutist or the parachutist strayed into the PR flying ares then lessons to be learnt:

i. always be aware of your surroundings when you fly;
ii. always have a caller.

We do not really know what happened, again when you are so close I suspect that the pilot wanted to fly near the parachutist, I mean the parachutists are not that small and the plane was not flying that fast. Totally foolish! Imagine if the chute collapsed.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:22 AM
jclittle

ORIGINAL: A10FLYR

And why not? Saftey is all pilots concern...everyone should see this stupidity and learn from it. It CAN happen when we least expect it.
First off, it was posted in the jet forum and was moved to the club house...Saftey is a big concern I agree totally. If people are so STUPID they need to see this type of STUPIDITY in order to learn from it, there is a much more serious problem. Do you really beleive some people need to see this before they realize it might not be a good idea to fly near a skydiver? "Ohh gee, I had no idea I could hit a skydiver until I saw this video!"

The jet forum is about jets, they do not need bad press that is unrelated to jets. Some yahoo is going to see this and say RC jets should be banned, not just stupid people who did something like this but RC altogether. I really do not think the RC community needs to show the general public how dangerous an RC plane can be in the hands of a moran.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Synthetic
My Feedback: (18)

First off, it was posted in the jet forum and was moved to the club house...Saftey is a big concern I agree totally. If people are so STUPID they need to see this type of STUPIDITY in order to learn from it, there is a much more serious problem. Do you really beleive some people need to see this before they realize it might not be a good idea to fly near a skydiver? ''Ohh gee, I had no idea I could hit a skydiver until I saw this video!''

The jet forum is about jets, they do not need bad press that is unrelated to jets. Some yahoo is going to see this and say RC jets should be banned, not just stupid people who did something like this but RC altogether. I really do not think the RC community needs to show the general public how dangerous an RC plane can be in the hands of a moran.
JC,
You don't need to be a jerk about it!
The reason I put it originally in the jet forum is because I am a jet pilot and wanted my jet pilot friends to see it.
I even made the remark that it was not jet specific but don't neccessarily agree with moving it because safety wise it applies to all rc pilots.
It was probably your complaining that got it moved...
Old 09-10-2009, 09:13 AM
A10FLYR

First off, it was posted in the jet forum and was moved to the club house...Saftey is a big concern I agree totally. If people are so STUPID they need to see this type of STUPIDITY in order to learn from it, there is a much more serious problem. Do you really beleive some people need to see this before they realize it might not be a good idea to fly near a skydiver? ''Ohh gee, I had no idea I could hit a skydiver until I saw this video!''

We all saw what happened.........what did you learn from it?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:03 AM
jclittle

Nothing. Hopefully anyone that is breathing already knows when there are full scale planes, helicopters or skydivers you had better be on the ground or to immediately land whatever you are flying.

I'm really not trying to be difficult about this or a jerk; it’s hard to believe that people need to see a video to understand the danger of flying an RC plane near a skydiver or whatever else. All showing videos like this does is create an opportunity for someone that does not like RC to use it against the hobby.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Bugalooob

I doubt they have AMA in their country, I've seen alot of stupid stuff done in foreign countries regarding dangerous RC flying
This apparently took place at the Orange County Airport in Virginia. There are no active RC flying sites near the airport and I assume that the RC plane was flying off the grass or something on the airport.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Silent-AV8R

All showing videos like this does is create an opportunity for someone that does not like RC to use it against the hobby.
Given that the video is on YouTube I do not think blame can be placed on anyone here. But your point is an important one given that the FAA is currently writing new sUAS rules that WILL affect us and this is the last thing we need for them to see!!

Watch the video closely and you can see the plane bounce off one of the people in the chute. This could have very easily resulted in severe injury or even death.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 AM
A10FLYR

[/quote]

Nothing.

[/quote]

Neither did I. BUT.....hopefully less experinced pilots learn that sh** happens....quickly!!! Keep airspace between your aircraft and EVERYTHING in the sky. Start evasive action early, don't wait till it is apparent there *might* be an accident 'cause by then it is already too late!

RC flying with full scale planes, parasailers and skydivers can be done safely. I've done it for years at fullscale airshows.

I'm off my sopbox now. Everyone have a good day!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Dan M

this isn't the same accident , but occurred at the same field , there is apparently an rc field on the site .

this incident looks to be with a full size aircraft , so apparently they have some real problems at this airport .

Skydiver injured, pilot charged

McClatchy-Tribune Information Service

Published: June 25, 2009
Sage McGirk was one of the last skydivers out of the plane in a jump a week ago to honor a deceased friend.
He remembers his parachute opening normally as he soared toward his landing spot on an Orange County field.
His next clear memory is of waking up at the University of Virginia hospital in Charlottesville, heading into a second surgery for a badly broken left arm.
McGirk, 32, a resident of the city of Fairfax, spoke by phone yesterday from his parents’ home in Vienna, where he’s recovering after being released from the hospital earlier in the week.
Though he doesn’t remember much of the incident, McGirk said his fellow skydivers have told him what happened June 13.
Most of the group had landed already, after jumping to pay tribute to their late friend Chris Santiago.
McGirk and another diver were still about 20 feet off the ground when a plane attempting a low flyover tangled the canopy and lines of McGirk’s chute in its propeller.
Friends told McGirk later that he was lifted several feet before he dropped to the ground. McGirk estimated that he fell about 30 feet.
He has been told he was out cold for several minutes as rescue workers placed him in an ambulance, and that he was semiconscious and combative on the ride to the hospital.
He doesn’t remember any of that—just that he awakened in the hospital and saw his mother, Mary Kendell, there.
“Everybody was in fear,“ he said.
His left arm had an open fracture, and he had already had one surgery to clean it. He was on his way in for a second surgery to repair the bone.
McGirk, who turned 32 in the hospital last Monday, said he has metal plates holding his arm together and expects to be in a cast for about 12 weeks. He’s also wearing a neck brace for a soft-tissue injury.
He has 12 years’ skydiving experience, and he said he has never had anything go wrong before.
“It was a normal weekend thing for me,“ McGirk said.
The pilot, 54-year-old Robert Mehl of Arlington, has been charged with reckless operation of an aircraft, according to Virginia State Police.
Attempts to reach him by phone and e-mail were unsuccessful yesterday

supposedly this video is the same aircraft (33% yak ?) flying before this most recent incident , you can hear an announcer in the background saying something about skydivers , note at the end of the video how far "out" he goes , looks pretty reckless .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udmJ8sYqBS0
Old 09-10-2009, 01:10 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The question is why are the parachutists close to the RC guys or the RC guys close to the parachutists?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Silent-AV8R

The location is an established commercial parachute operation located on the Orange County Airport in Virginia. There are no flying sites listed by the AMA within 25 miles of the site, and there is nothing that even remotely resembles an RC flying site that can be seen on Google Earth. Further when you look at the aviation sectinal chart for the area this is a charted jump location.

Pretty hard to argue that the parachutes were infringing on the RC flying.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:48 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I learned that there is a really really really really really stupid in-duh-vidual out there flying R/C planes.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Dan M

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

The location is an established commercial parachute operation located on the Orange County Airport in Virginia. There are no flying sites listed by the AMA within 25 miles of the site, and there is nothing that even remotely resembles an RC flying site that can be seen on Google Earth. Further when you look at the aviation sectinal chart for the area this is a charted jump location.

Pretty hard to argue that the parachutes were infringing on the RC flying.
your right , looks like he's just flying off the runway / etc .. i didn't intend for it sound as if the Chute was in RC "airspace" as far as i am concerned there is no such thing as "RC airspace" when it comes to full scale or Humans .

to think that the pilot of the RC would knowingly fly with people under canopy in the area is as negligent as it gets .

i wish there was more / better info out there as to this accident .

Dan
Old 09-10-2009, 01:58 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: DanMacMurray

to think that the pilot of the RC would knowingly fly with people under canopy in the area is as negligent as it gets .

Dan

Seems like something similar happed with a glider out in Utah at "Point of the Mountain" eight or ten years ago. I know the para gliders and rc gliders used to fly near each other there.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: P-51B

ORIGINAL: DanMacMurray

Dan

Seems like something similar happed with a glider out in Utah at ''Point of the Mountain'' eight or ten years ago. I know the para gliders and rc gliders used to fly near each other there.

Totally different situation. The hang glider at POTM was flying in the wrong place in an established area for RC. He was clearly at fault and was trying to antagonize the RC flyers to get them off "his" mountain. There have been a couple of incidents at the Torrey Pines gliderport as well over the years. But a glider and a 35% power plane are two completely different things.!!

Old 09-10-2009, 02:22 PM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

I'd have the RC pilot arrested for attempted murder.
Reckless endangerment is probably more accurate, and more likely to stick in court.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.