Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Liteing a model

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Thomas W. Haake
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liteing a model

I am building a Lanier 120 size Stinger and would like to make it lighter. I would like to drill 1" round holes in the fuse sides, but need to know if I should parallel them or offset them them?

If I parallel them would that create weak points?

Old 09-25-2009, 09:43 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Liteing a model

Drilling holes will create weak points no matter how you do it. But you'd be better off staggering them.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:47 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many holes?... what is the weight savings for each hole? Is it really worth the loss of structure? Only you can answer that.

Think of your fuselage as a beam... you would want to put any holes as close to the neutral axis (center/mid-line) as possible... but not too close on-center as that would/could cause the web to cripple.

For strength purposes... the holes should be parallel to one another, not offset. You should be careful drilling... I would stay away from a paddle bit and use a circular saw bit. Try to minimize the tearing effect during drilling.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't do a damn thing if I was you. The little weight savings is not worth sacrificing the structural integrity of the fuselage. You have to know where to cut and how much. Circular holes aren't the best method. Lattice type of lightening is the way to go, but again, you have to know what you are doing. Below are pics of the lattice work I did on my GP Super Skybolt. It took a heck of a long time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78505.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1282301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42129.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1282302