Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Can't find employment, Ideas for self employment ?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Can't find employment, Ideas for self employment ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 04:33 PM
SunnyFlyer09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find employment, Ideas for self employment ?

Any ideas for a profitable business I could start for myself? Don't have money to invest in a franchise or anything like that. Very computer and internet savvy. Open to any ideas! Help a fellow R/Cer out......
Old 09-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Can't find employment, Ideas for self employment ?

There is one business that I have been considering based on a request by a friend. He said that he would pay extra for computer repair if the technician would show him how to correct the problems. There is only one local computer shop and they can charge whatever they want and don't have to tell the customers what they did to make the repair. My friend paid almost $100 to rebuild the operating system. He said he would have gladly paid twice that much to learn to do it himself. I do a lot of computer repairs for friends but have never charged for anything other than parts I had to buy. I don't charge for parts that I have on hand from old computers.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:46 PM
NCBrit

Do you have IT experience? If so, try Tek Systems and Robert Half. I work in the security industry for a company that monitors alarm systems. We've seen solid growth all year, the sector has amazing ability to withstand recession. If you're interested in starting out in the alarm installation business, PM me and we can talk about how to get into the industry.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:49 PM
WestCoastFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

I like NCBrit's idea. One of my family members got his start in IT working for an alarm company.

It might not be the most glamorous business, but Fall is coming up and you could offer Fall Cleanup Services. Lots of people need help with leaves, fallen branches and general cleanup going into Winter. Advertising would be cheap, "Sunny's Fall Cleanup Specials" etc, and post in Craigslist (older people are catching on to Craigslist) or advertise in your local newspaper. All you need is a pickup, tools and a good gas powered leaf blower. If you already have all that stuff I think you might do pretty good. It'd be hard work but the exercise would be great. And if you have any gardening skills you'd get repeat customers next summer. The good Gardeners around here do pretty good, and who knows, maybe eventually you could grow it into a business and hire labor to do the work.

House painting is another one of those fairly hard work deals where you can make money and eventually hire crews, but depending on your area this might be the wrong time of year for that.

But first maybe check out want ads for IT related jobs. Hospitals, Government, big companies is where you'd want to look I think.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:55 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

Send flyers to all local businesses, including the biggest around, offering your services for software, network troubleshooting.

My friend (who has trouble tying his shoes) started a business like this years ago. I accompanied him on a few jobs as his go-fer (coffee, sandwiches, etc) he did in NY City. Impressive offices with very distinguished looking management buzzing about...and NONE of them knew how to repair a glitch in their software!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Edwin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A former co-worker started a PC Consulting business to do just what you're asking. He can do it for you, and/or show you how to do it yourself. I sent him to a flying buddy that owns a roofing business that had a spam bot on his system and he was thrilled with the service. He charges $50 and hour with a one hour minumum. With windows, that should be job security. He drives around going to peoples houses and businesses to take care of problems.
Edwin
Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: SunnyFlyer09

Any ideas for a profitable business I could start for myself? Don't have money to invest in a franchise or anything like that. Very computer and internet savvy. Open to any ideas! Help a fellow R/Cer out......
I started full time in computers in 2001. Before that, My life was spent farming 13,000 acres of prime Golden Triangle farmland in north central Montana (the best hard red winter wheat in the world is raised here). I started to teach myself computers in '95. I had 5 -6 years of self taught experience before I had to leave the farming game and try and make a go of it in a town of 3,000 (and about 5 other town within 60 miles). It was slow at first, but it turned out that I was the best tech around. I now have over 500 (mostly repeating) clients in my folder. And I've NEVER spent A DIME on advertising. Not even a classified. It's all been word of mouth, the best advertising there is.

Do it fair, do it better than the other guys, be friendly, AND BE HONEST!. And don't charge em too bad for YOUR on the job learning. I give half time breaks for stuff like that, although I hardly run into situations like that anymore. I remember my first big networking job, and it was a real mess. CAT5, yes, but all the ends were terminated using only 4 wires. That must have taken forever to line 4 tiny wires into an RJ45 end, and get them in the right slots. Anyways, I was OVERWHELMED to say the least. I rebuilt that 30 computer network until it SUNG. I have since rebuilt many poorly networked businesses, (and built a few from scratch). Make your clients LOVE YOU. I am approachable, friendly, and I never break a sweat ON SITE. If you can't figure it out, by all means pack it up and take it back to your workshop where you can cuss it out to your hearts content, and nobody will be the wiser. You will eventually get it figured out, but be ready to take it in the shorts for billable hours. However, you will have gained a forever client. When you walk into a job, and you feel like they WANT you there, don't disappoint them!!!

Once somebody finds a good tech that is willing to work harder than the the other guy, they tend to keep them. I get $60 an hour, no overhead, (work out of my garage/hangar), and I charge a dollar a mile one way for travel to other towns. Nobody complains, since the next guy is $75/hour, and he charges for EVERY billable hour he can (I show a 'no charge' on EVERY bill I send, even it is just blowing dust out of the case). People love to get something for nothing, and it keeps them coming back.

I charge $120 for a computer tune up. That includes spyware cleaning, virus check (extra for manual removal), hard drive integrity, scandisk, defrag, msconfig, and misc other stuff they might complain about. I also do a TON of hard drive cloning. It's a real boon in this crappy economy. Once I explain to them the life span of a hard drive on a daily computer (2 years, MAX), they will usually opt for a cloning rather than spend 4 times that much on a new system (especially once Vista came out, and they wanted to stay with XP). Most cloning I do is $150, unless it's a huge drive. That $150 includes the drive, so I have to charge more if they need a terabyte or something like that. Sometimes I can spend HOURS trying to clone a drive with hidden partitions and such. Sometimes I have less than 20 minutes of actual labor into it. It all evens out.

That's my story. I hope you can find success on you own. Give it a try, and good luck!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:55 PM
SunnyFlyer09

Guys, unfortunatley I do not have computer repair training or experience, other than toying around with my own computer. I guess what I was looking for were ideas for maybe making money on the internet somehow.

Please keep the ideas coming.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:13 AM
safeTwire

Then, until your job of choice happens...go and find any job for now.

You will have a positive cash flow (In!)

You will feel "better" in general.

And just as important...you will be in direct contact with people and the outside world where you greatly increase the chances of advancing toward your preferred line of work!

Good Luck!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:47 PM
SunnyFlyer09

safeTwire , I wish it was that easy, I have a 4 year degree and I can't even get an interview after a robust campaign of hundreds and hundres of applications and resumes.

That is why I am looking for self employment ideas.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Edwin

As painful as it is, you might have to move where the jobs are.
Edwin
Old 10-01-2009, 08:07 AM
SunnyFlyer09

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Edwin
That is the exact opposite to the focus of the original post.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:17 PM
safeTwire

Nobody said this was easy. Quite the contrary as a matter of fact. Not to worry...you can do it!

My two sons were in a similar position, as are many others across the nation.

Unless something falls right in your lap (not likely to happen), IMHO the best thing you can do for yourself is to get out there and make contact with other people. In this way, you shorten time to the least amount possible, in which you find something you really like to do!

Turn this period of you life into an adventure, of which you can look back upon and think how glad you are about having gone through it!
Old 10-02-2009, 10:00 AM
NCBrit

http://www.wisebread.com/10-small-bu...le-to-start-up
Old 10-08-2009, 08:32 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: SunnyFlyer09

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Edwin
That is the exact opposite to the focus of the original post.
Hello Mr. SunnyFlyer09.. I've thought about a similar scenario, if I were out of work, what would/could I do to creatively either start a business, or simply earn money in some way/form/fashion...

There might be a few factors that play into it.. one being.. how badly do I need income.. if the answer is badly.. and I needed work desparately.. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to where I've worked before, pr contact old co-workers, etc.. maybe someone there needs some help..

The second factor in deciding what I would like to get into for myself is...what experience do I have that I might be able to use for my own financial gain.. I've worked at a print-shop for 18yrs.. in that time I've learned to sell electronics, became a licensed limosine driver(still current).. and in the last few years, learned dry-wall/finish construction..most of this was for extra income.. but it all came with the bonus of experience... so.. if I were to want to open a business.... I would go for the obvious experiences Ive had first.. and see what I can drum up there... as I do know I enjoy them enough, and am very capable.. odds are though I'd look into starting my own print-shop..as thats whats familiar and fun.

Unless your in dire straits and need income immediately/fast... if you did go into biz.. it should probably be something you enjoy, and believe in too... and something your very good at... maybe better then alot of others out there.. that would make you very marketable.. and confident also.. that will play a big part in your psyche.

It might help us to help you if you share a bit about your experience in the work force.... maybe some suggestions will come up from that.. and quite honestly... with some input from this group.. maybe you can come up with it yourself too..

I see you have a degree too.... if I may ask.. in what field?

I do wish you well.. and hope you find what your needing soon.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:12 PM
chashint

What is your degree and work experience in ?
Just about everyone is computer and internet savvy, so what does computer and internet savvy mean in the sense you can use it to make money ?
Old 10-10-2009, 09:37 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

What I would do is go to RC events and take pictures with a digital camera. Then download the pics to a CD and show the pictures to the owner of the aircraft on a laptop. People usually will buy pictures of them self or their possessions if it is cheap enough. If they would want a print they could order it. This way your expenses would be minimal if they don't buy anything. You could charge what you think you could get away with.
There are other sporting events you could work this on. When my son was motorcycle racing there was a guy that made a lot of money doing this and he used a lot of film and had to make large prints in speculation.
If you have a photo editing program you could spruce the pictures up a bit.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:07 AM
tommygun32

When I was much younger and just starting off in life, I was fortunate enough to meet someone who gave me some pretty decent advice. He was a big shot head hunter for mega bucks corporate MD's, Presidents, VP's, CEO's, etc.

He just broke it down to the basics. Gave me a pencil and pad of paper. On the top of a sheet (ten sheets) write down what I LOVE TO DO or things I enjoy. Doesn't matter what it is.

I can't remember all of them, but they included: Fishing, Surfing, Hunting, Camping, working with wood, music, working with my hands, etc.

Now he had me go get a yellow pages and look each of these different things up. Every single company that dealt with anything and everything related to the topics. Then list every company and phone number under each of the header I found in the book. I filled all 10 pages and then some.

Then I chose the subject I felt would offer the monetary bonus with the personal satisfaction of enjoying what I'd be doing and started calling. In this way, I landed a job within 3 days. Working at a cabinet shop. On the morning of my interview it went OK. I made the move and told the manager that I'd work for him for free for the rest of that day. If he didn't like my work, let me know and we'll part company, if he did, then give me a fair shake. Spent the next 4 years with that company and learned a ton of skills. I could still easily plan, draw, build and install the cabinets and fixtures in my own home.

This way of doing this also helped me with many other side jobs. (fishing) Working on fishing boats as crew or deckhand, (working with my hands) becoming a goldsmith's assistant / apprentice, constructing combat fighter pilot helmets and gloves, (surfing) R&D rider for a surf board manufacturer, (music) mobile DJ then nightclub DJ.

I eventually moved from the Cabinet Shop to full time DJ'ing because I'd blown my back out twice. I became a pretty decent DJ and was picked up by an agent in London. They sent me on a world tour, North America first and then over seas, working an average of 6 months in each night club.

I don't know if this helps you at all, but hey, can't hurt.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:47 PM
psb667

Buying and selling solar panels on speculation. Is kinda profitable