Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Airplane and car/truck models at the same field?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Airplane and car/truck models at the same field?

Old 10-21-2009, 10:37 AM
oleblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airplane and car/truck models at the same field?

Has any club combined airplanes and car/truck models at the same location? Seems like a good idea to increase club size. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having both at the same location?
Old 10-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Airplane and car/truck models at the same field?

I can't see how that would work unless there is enough property to have a track next to a flying field. Unless you mean having the cars run on the field itself...which is not a good idea. I fly planes and have quite a few cars, but would probably get tired of hearing screaming car engines while trying to fly expensive planes. There could also be dust issues during dry weather. Two different worlds which should probably be kept as such. Just my 2 cents. -Chris
Old 10-21-2009, 08:49 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

One of our Clubs here in Wyoming has both planes and cars. Your right, it just takes a lot of space. Here is a link to one of the pages on their website showing the lay out. I've flown several times here and both times the car guys were having fun over on their tracks. The only thing they are still working on getting funds for are the fancy shelters. Everything else is pretty much as shown including the two paved runways. This is located pretty much in the middle of the State in Riverton Wyoming. Just a few pictures that kind of show the plane area. Afraid I don't have any pics of the RC Car tracks. I guess the only thing I didn't really hear many of the guys talking about were any members flying or driving at both. They pretty much have two Clubs independent of each other, but it works.

[link=http://www.wyomingmodelerspark.com/bigmap.htm]Wyoming Modelers Park[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96223.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1299676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31989.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1299677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41729.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1299678  
Old 10-21-2009, 10:46 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ah you bring up fond memories of MARBLES HOBBY SUPPLY.....

There was a flying field, on road oval with road course, and a offroad track.

And a HOBBY SHOP ON SITE !!! Indoors was the smallest carpet oval probably ever seen, with removeable jumps for truck races... and we kept it PACKED with people twice a week all winter long....AAHHHH the good old days.

You mention the place to people that used to hang out there and a tear will come to the eye every time.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:50 AM
oleblue

GPutt33, That is a great design. Who provides the land for the activities? I am thinking it is a local government, but could be wrong.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:14 AM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

I'm pretty sure the city of Riverton worked with everyone as a whole to provide the acres. This is actually about only a 1/4 mile north of town. You can sit in the wally world parking lot and watch the guys fly it's so close. About the ONLY draw back to the site is there is the "Wyoming Honor Farm (prison)" that borders the property to the north and east and if you flame out and your plane goes down within the boundaries of their fence the Club has to call someone and get permission to enter the property to retrieve the plane. Not a big deal, just need to have it worked out up front.

[link=http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=riverton,+wy&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=65.135703,106.259766&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Riverton,+Fremont,+Wyoming&ll=43.048632,-108.381264&spn=0.014991,0.025942&t=h&z=16]Google Map view[/link]
Old 10-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our club started a car track this year. It should be done next year. We fly off lease-free private land, and have a corner of this land fenced for our runway/car track.

We are very fortunate! Now all we need is a shallow lake nearby for boats and float flying!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 03:33 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

At our "Modelers' Park" in Riverton, see post and pictures above, we have three car areas, off-road track, rock climbing range and a paved/banked on-road track. At the flying field we have a 450 x 50 main and 350 x 50 crosswind paved runways and a 600 x 50 sprinkled grass runway. We lease the 26 acres from the City of Riverton who leases the land from the Honor Farm prison. It is a good working relationship. The membership is single. It is not two different clubs. We have a number of members who both drive and fly. We also have a sailing group that uses a public lake along a natural walking path. They sail with "one class" boats.

Rich
President, Wyoming Modelers' Park Association
Old 10-30-2009, 07:37 PM
grinder-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

This is a pic I found on RCU awhile ago. I'm not sure where it is located. I'm thinking UK but I could be totally wrong.

Grinder.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33713.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1305115  
Old 10-30-2009, 10:08 PM
MetallicaJunkie

that looks first class
Old 11-12-2009, 10:47 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

I know some flyers that do not care to be around the car crowd, some people like it and some people don't. It could be alot of fun.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:19 AM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

I know some flyers that do not care to be around the car crowd, some people like it and some people don't. It could be alot of fun.

If you have a big enough place, i guess it would be ok.......... But while im flying i wouldnt want to be hearing the whine of a nitro car near by, especially during a maiden.... What annoys me too is those guys that can never seem to tune their engines and they spend half of their "flight" on the starting stands tuning
Old 11-23-2009, 11:49 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You know its just mean and spiteful to post something like that don't you? DON"T YOU!