Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

"Model Aviation" AMA mag. Nov. GOOD!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

"Model Aviation" AMA mag. Nov. GOOD!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Model Aviation" AMA mag. Nov. GOOD!

Debated among myself whether this should be in AMA forum or here. However I think as many as possible should have a chance to see it.

The Nov. '09 issue of AMA's Model Aviation magazine is just full of good information. Many folks say they don't read it, and if you are one of those, may I suggest this time just for fun, you take a good look. [:-]

There is a slight change in format. In my unlearned-opinion, that could be a step before MA goes digital as is now planned.

There are far too many good articles in this issue to even try to mention them, however Mr. Don Apostolico's article, "Crashing is NOT an Option" is well worth the price of the magazine at a hobby shop for those of you that are not members of AMA.
I just wish I was not so lazy as to take advantage of each and all of his methods.

There is a too-short but good report on the "NATs", as well as a number of very informational columns.

Kudos to the editorial crew on this issue. Good Show, Ol' Chaps.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:06 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE:

So there's no "control line" or peanut stuff in there?
Sounds like things are lookin' up.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:48 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE:

Seeing the District 10 article with the flaming van is worth the magazine if it saves one other modeler from charging their battery incorrectly or inside a van. I have always enjoyed the mag, however I agree, the nats coverage was a bit whimpy.... Dave
Old 10-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Hossfly

Default RE: RE:

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

So there's no ''control line'' or peanut stuff in there?

Did you really look at the magazine? I really wonder if you did, as I ask you what do you think the feature article, "Stearman 4E" by Mr. Frank Beatty, page 28, was? Hand Launch Glider, balloon, or Park Flier or what?

Mr. beatty has been a fantastic craftsman for many years. Most everything I have ever seen of his has a bellcrank and wires, plus being a thing of beauty.

Yep, good buddy, you have again earned your rating as you CRASH again.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:23 AM
KW_Counter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE:

I get Model Airplane News, Fly RC and the AMA's Model Aviation every month.
I think Model Aviation is the best of the three.
I get more out of their Q&A, Battery and Safety articles than I do the other mags.
I also like to know what the clubs around me are doing.
It is an excellant magazine every month!
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 10-26-2009, 10:26 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE:

I agree about the Nats coverage, although there are the Nats News articles that are posted on the AMA site that gives all the details which are pretty well done. Since less than 10% of the AMA membership will ever actually attend a Nats, the AMA felt they didn't need to committ basically one full mag per year to the Nats.

I enjoy it personally, but I also attend each year.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:59 PM
SDCrashmaster

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

So there's no ''control line'' or peanut stuff in there?

Did you really look at the magazine? I really wonder if you did, as I ask you what do you think the feature article, ''Stearman 4E'' by Mr. Frank Beatty, page 28, was? Hand Launch Glider, balloon, or Park Flier or what?

Mr. beatty has been a fantastic craftsman for many years. Most everything I have ever seen of his has a bellcrank and wires, plus being a thing of beauty.

Yep, good buddy, you have again earned your rating as you CRASH again.
No, I didn't look at the magazine. Hence the "question mark".
Model Aviation has always had far too much control line and peanut scale content.
My comment indicated my feeling that "if they are focussing less on those genres...or not focussing on them at all" then it's a good thing.

I know a ton of RC'rs...and not one that is involved with those genres. Now, I know that there is a faction interested in that aspect of the hobby, but I have a suspicion it has been their interest since the dawn of flying models, and that interest never progressed when actual Radio Control systems became available. I'm all for history, but that's exactly what that stuff is, history.
We have the "Mecca in Muncie" for when we need an RC history lesson. It's 2009 now.

Can you even purchase Control Line stuff at the average LHS? Why focus on it in a magazine...other than an article or two per year?

Heck, there's traditionally been more of that stuff in there than Turbine-related stuff...I mean c'mon.

Always proud to live up to my username
Old 10-26-2009, 10:55 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE:

I didn't think too much of this issue. Full scale air racing? Neat, but no more topical than a review of the Earhart movie would be.

As for the rest... The AMA is about more than just RC. That's just how it is. Just as RCU has a whole lot of forums that don't interest me at all, I don't expect the AMA mag to be customized to my particular interests. Want an RC mag? Buy one. The publishers will appreciate the business, and perhaps they'll stay in business, too.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:37 AM
Hossfly

I know a ton of RC'rs...and not one that is involved with those genres. Now, I know that there is a faction interested in that aspect of the hobby, but I have a suspicion it has been their interest since the dawn of flying models, and that interest never progressed when actual Radio Control systems became available. I'm all for history, but that's exactly what that stuff is, history.
We have the ''Mecca in Muncie'' for when we need an RC history lesson. It's 2009 now.
There is a large number of folks returning to their ancient historical time right now, including me.

Can you even purchase Control Line stuff at the average LHS? Why focus on it in a magazine...other than an article or two per year?
At the SMART ones you can. At least one Major Hobby Shop in North Houston area is finally getting smart.

Heck, there's traditionally been more of that stuff in there than Turbine-related stuff...I mean c'mon.
Ever think that is because probably more people doing CL than turbines?
Always proud to live up to my username
Then you might feel even better if you change it to "conceited bigot". [:-] For ever person you look down on, you can be assured that there are a thousand looking down on you.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:33 AM
SDCrashmaster

Default RE:

Oh ye who must add some sort of insult into every post...
Maybe there are a gazillion control liners out there.
All I'm saying is, I know a lot of RC'rs, and not one of them is into control line, and haven't given it a single thought since that Cox .020 when they were 7.
And, FYI, I don't look down on them. I just simply don't see any. It's hard to look down on something unseen.
Maybe it's rampant where you hang out,
but I don't see that same popularity around here.
Why would one choose a short leash over the boundless sky anyway? To avoid those "new fangled" handheld box contraptions with those swivelly stick thingys?
To each their own, but, the mag has traditionally devoted a lot of space to this stuff. I personally don't get it. And I don't think it helps curtail the current membership downturn.
Again...it's 2009. But y'all have fun returning to your ancient historical times. If you enjoy it...well...I guess that's all that really matters in the end.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:15 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Default RE:

Alright guys, lets back off the insults and get this thread back on track or it will be closed down. Thanks Dave
Old 10-27-2009, 07:37 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE:

The last survey that was taken by Bob Hunt had only about 5% of AMA members who were not RC. When Bob hunt was editor, there was way too much UC in the mag. Now I wonder, how many UC folks are there that will be interested in the scale UC article in the Nov. issue - and who will buy the plans. This type of article is very expensive to produce.

"There is a large number of folks returning to their ancient historical time right now, including me. " I really think this is wishful thinking by the UC folks.

Paul
Old 10-27-2009, 06:56 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE:

I agree-and this really should have been posted in the AMA forum instead of this one-due to the bickering that will certainly follow.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:51 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE:

I just wish I could opt out of that magazine. There is rarely anything in there that interests me. I just need the license so I can fly at fields that require it.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I just wish I could opt out of that magazine. There is rarely anything in there that interests me. I just need the license so I can fly at fields that require it.
Dirtybird meet KidEpoxy. KidEpoxy meet Dirtybird.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:33 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Default RE:

Hey, my 'club' of which I should not brag about, has a one page 'article' in the issue! So there, even we 'little' people get some ink sometimes
Old 10-30-2009, 12:17 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I'll second dirtybirds idea to be able to opt out of the magazine. If I could even save $5.00 on my annual subscription, I would opt out. I spend about 30 minutes a month with the magazine before it is thrown in the garbage. This is a real waste, so instead of wasting the paper on people like me, an opt out would be welcome and green.

If the magazine goes digital are all annual membership fees going to be reduced? This would be one of the better ideas AMA has had.

Greg
Old 10-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Did you know that you can contact AMA and have your copy sent to a school or library? It may be better to send it somewhere where someone will enjoy it if you hate it that much. [:@]