Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Shanghai, China Connection

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Shanghai, China Connection

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 12:04 PM
y2k6vette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shanghai, China Connection

This may/may not be the proper place to post this, but here goes.....My daughter and her family have just moved to Shanghai and will be living there for the next 5-7 years; and her husband has always had an interest in learning to fly R/C. This may be a great time for him to make contact with some R/Cers over there, but I don't know how to direct him to them.

Would any of you perchance know of a hobby shop they could visit to get some further info? Would you have any contacts in Shanghai who may be willing to introduce them to some club members or show them the flying field?

Are there any RCU members living in Shanghai reading this post who could be of some help to them? If so, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks is advance,

Steve
Foggy Minded Mountain Man
Old 11-03-2009, 03:24 AM
Roger Naef

Default RE: Shanghai, China Connection

Steve,

a few months ago I returned home after 4 years in Shanghai. We were a couple of westerners that flew together regularly, but unfortunately all of them returned home. I donā€™t know of any other western RC flyer. But of course there is a lively local RC scene in Shanghai, maybe not as big as one would expect for a city with 17 million or so people...

We flew helicopters and planes on a huge parking lot behind the New International Expo Center in Pudong (Huamu Lu). The space is empty (or empty enough) on most of the weekends.

There is a model flying field near the F1 track in Jiading (45 to 60 min drive from downtown). I donā€™t know where exactly it is. There used to be a quite a nice field out there but they closed it to build a golf course. From what I heard the new one is not that good anymore, but worth to check out.

There are also several other places where the locals fly, youā€™ll find out when you go the hobby shops.

Shanghai Hobby (www.shanghaihobby.com) is a tiny shop but well equipped with all the bits and pieces you need to fly, tricky to find but taxi drivers will find it (bring someone who speaks Chineseā€¦)

In the Hongkou Football Stadium there is another shop (Waigo), specialized in helicopters and cars.
Most of the stuff I needed I bought online or I took it with me from Switzerland.

Every year around May/June there is the Shanghai International RC Model Exhibition - also a good place to find other RCā€™er.

For all the stuff you need to build models that are not typically RC (screws, nuts, ball bearings, silicone, glue, all sort of tools, raw materialsā€¦.) you go to Beijing Lu, there are literally hundreds of small shops that have about everything you need ā€“ and itā€™s a lot of fun to browse the stores.

Itā€™s also advisable to look into the various expat forums (e.g. www.shanghaiexpat.com) to find fellow RCā€™er.

Good luck and all the best to your family in Shanghai. In China, it is said, ā€everything is possible, nothing is easyā€¯

Roger
Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 PM
y2k6vette

Thanks, Roger,

I'll pass the info on to my kids in Shanghai....They will have fun looking for all the places you mentioned...it will be a great adventure for them I'm sure.

Noticed you're in Winterthur...I lived there in 1963 for a few months...spent 2 1/2 years total in Switzerland and decided it was the most beautiful country in all of europe for sure. Never had the opportunity to return but I can still envision it in my mind.

Hang in there,

Steve
Old 11-12-2009, 03:11 AM
Roger Naef

Forgot one shop:
There's another tiny shop at Hongmei Lu near Yan'an Lu in the Hongqiao area. You can't miss it, outside it has a red/white decoration and the name is something with Don. The owner is a nice guy and when I remember correctly he even speaks some English.

Roger
Old 11-15-2009, 10:16 AM
y2k6vette

Thanks Roger,

I'll pass the additional info on to my daughter and husband. They've been there about a month now and are starting to get around a bit, so I'll have them look up this shop.

Tschau,
Steve
Old 11-16-2009, 02:28 AM
tommygun32

ciao even.....
Old 11-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Roger Naef

or just "TschĆ¼ss"...

Ciao
Roger
Old 11-17-2009, 10:25 AM
y2k6vette

One thing I learned about Switzerland: the dialects and all the words they used were very dependant upon the area and the people you were talking to. My german professor in college hailed from the bernese oberland and he taught me "tschau", but he also said that many others would have different ideas about that too.

Glad to hear we have so many linguists on RCU.
Hang in there.

Found in dictionary: German > English.

Add starRemove star Tschau!
o
interjection
+
so long!
+
Ciao!
+
Cheerio!

Old 11-18-2009, 05:26 AM
Roger Naef

Steve you are right and it's even worse: For example to say "Tschau" for goodbye is perfectly fine in Winterthur, but people from Bern would pronounce it "tschou", and that means hello

But since this is not a thread about Swiss German dialects but about Shanghai:

å†¨č¦‹ (zai jian)
Roger
Old 11-18-2009, 09:45 AM
y2k6vette

And in Zuerich I often heard: "Uf wiederluege"! Took a moment or two, but I finally got it.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Roger Naef

yep, the formal version of "tschau"... literally means "see you again"
Old 11-26-2009, 03:20 AM
Roger Naef

Back to the topic:
http://www.5irc.com/
This is a major Chinese RC portal. With some help of Chinese friends I am sure you find the contacts you are looking for.

Regards
Roger