Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What Made You Quit Flying Helis

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What Made You Quit Flying Helis

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:48 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What Made You Quit Flying Helis

While I haven't quit flying helis, I haven't flown one for over a year. There are two reasons for this, actually three.

1) Burn out
2) Interests have changed
3) I don't like 3D which is all everybody does these days

Will I quit helis, certainly not. I'm an old school pattern flyer that likes to fly precision maneuvers. I think it's harder to string 3 rolls across the field than doing flips or tumbles. Don't misunderstand me, I have a lot of respect for the (good) guys that do 3D, but I think 3D has gotten very unsafe. To me, no one in their right mind would purposely scrap their main blades on the tarmac as a "maneuver" just to impress their buddies. Just my .02 cents.

FB
Old 11-22-2009, 10:46 AM
ttennis1600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well said mate one thing you have to stick with helis if you want to fly one have a nice holiday .
Old 11-22-2009, 10:51 AM
ttennis1600

its one year for me flying helis WOW HOW TIME FLYS so far i can fly and not crash can do nose in hover so happy with that to bring my heli home in 1 piece here is a little video of me flying .and do some rolls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh1BHZevvpM
Old 11-22-2009, 10:18 PM
BUDMAN27

I still fly mine in the summer. I fly it up side down. It,s call a lawn mower.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:12 PM
tomski
My Feedback: (4)

How many of you would have given up airplanes is some one did not help you to fly? The same goes with helicopters a little help goes a long way. Getting the helicopter set up properly makes a big difference. I fly both and just do not like the bashing that heli's get when other people cannot fly them or had a hard time flying them.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

I quite helis for the most part because they're just so expensive to fix after a crash. At least with planes you can glue stuff back together for minor wrecks, but with helos you have to replace this standard list of parts after even some minor crashes. I learned how to fly with a Hirobo Shuttle back in the early 90's, then got a Kyosho Concept 30, and finally a used Schluter Champion. All gone. A few years ago I bought a Blade CP thinking it would have changed with a small electric heli. Nope. That thing nickel and dimed me to death. I will say though that I just picked up one of those new Blade MSRs for inside the house, the thing is amazing. Really takes a beating! But most would not count this machine as still being "into" helis. I'll never get another gas heli for sure.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:45 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man was I ever discouraged going to the LHS and having that durn kid laugh at me each time... Crash Again??? Harder for somewhat old thumbs to get the hang of it. Especially if you have never RC'd before... Note to local hobby shops.... consider encouraging your helicopter customers... that way you will milk them for many more months to come.

Most of all, I did not know anyone who flew them that could help me and give good advice.... All it takes is one person to make all the difference in flying these egg beaters. Now I see that you need a setup man to get things right for you after a crash. I could do many of the part swaps, but how did I really know if it was flyable again after a dirt nap? I didn't... having someone else fly it briefly after a repair makes a difference in the confidence level. It is about personalities too... one guy not working out for you... find another. One guy can get burned out trying to help a newbie.

Funny thing Sunday, I was asked for help... I will try, but I am still finding my way too!!! I am going to suggest the sim route, as it is the only one I know. So much more flying time on the sim vs. crashing. I think that I have a much better idea of what needs to happen before going outside.

Thanks for all the good responses guys... In looking at the new Horizon catalog wish book, I see just how far helis have come in the last two years. The first bird is an important selection.