Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Any Wash DC area organized indoor flying?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Any Wash DC area organized indoor flying?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:49 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any Wash DC area organized indoor flying?

Anyone know of anyone flying indoors on a regular basis... Suburban MD preferred.

There is a Tennis bubble near Freestate's Field that might make a good place to fly... interested???

I see many views.... if you are interested can you e-mail me through RCU. If there is enough interest, I will see what I can do.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:27 AM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any Wash DC area organized indoor flying?

Sure- make it happen!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Montague

Actually, we have someone who said they would ask about that tennis dome. Of course, many of those domes are heavily used for their intended purpose, but we are looking into it.

DC Maxicuters has been doing indoor stuff for years in the area. Also, I thought I heard that DCRC has a deal with a site out their way.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:39 PM
on_your_six

I spoke to the manager of the sports facility... I wrote up a narrative of the potential costs and pitfalls...

Hey guys... if you are interested... make yourself known... if you have another potential site... let it be known where and what it will cost. Maybe this becomes a rotating basis with PGRC, DCRC or NVRC

It is going to take around 20-30 guys to make this financially feasible. Of course, the more the merrier.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:52 AM
on_your_six

Indoor flying at SoccerPlex Maryland Soccer Foundation (MSF)
BY JIM MCDANIEL
[link=http://www.dc-rc.org/]DCRC Website[/link]

Negotiations have been finalized between DCRC and MSF for the use of the indoor facility for electric flying this winter season. MSF has agreed to rent the indoor field portion exclusively to the DCRC club, each and every Wednesday from 12 to 4 pm starting on Nov 11, and continuing thru March 31, 2010. Since this is now a rental agreement the activity will be limited to DCRC members and their guests during that time period. Spectators are always welcome. The DCRC Club will not only have the field reserved every Wednesday but later in the year we plan on having some organized indoor competitions and events. So please come and enjoy yet another one of the benefits of membership the DCRC Club. We have not yet worked out the entry details but DCRC Membership cards will most likely need to be shown at the entry desk. Please keep in mind that only appropriate indoor models will be allowed, and each user of the facility assumes responsibility for his aircraft and any damage that may occur.

Maryland Soccer Plex
[link=http://www.mdsoccerplex.org]www.mdsoccerplex.org[/link]
14501 Schaeffer Rd
Boyds, MD 20841
(301) 528-1480
Old 12-02-2009, 03:24 PM
on_your_six

Flying Dates at the U. of Md. Cole Field House
"Hi all,

The DC Maxecuters will be hosting another indoor fly-in at Cole Field House (Cole Student Activities Building) on the University of MD campus, Sunday, Dec 13th. from 1-4 pm. Entry is $15-if participation is high, we may be able to bring it down to $10.

In addition to general FF fun, we will have one FAC Kanone event: FAC Peanut Scale. Event will be flown to 2009 FAC rules. This will be a judged scale event. For full marks, BRING YOUR DOCUMENTATION!

PLEASE NOTE: All flyers at CFH MUST be AMA members. Please bring your AMA card. In addition, all participants must sign in upon arrival and sign a waiver of liability. The Maxecuters are primarily interested in promoting CFH as an indoor FF site, though very low-wing load indoor R/C is also permitted. NO PARK FLYERS, 3D FLYERS, OR HELICOPTERS, PLEASE. In regard to suitability of an aircraft for the venue, the decisions of event coordinators are FINAL.

PLEASE NOTE: As you spread the word about CFH events to local clubs and flyers outside of the Maxecuter's circle, PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THE ABOVE RESTRICTIONS ARE UNDERSTOOD! We have had to deny some people the right to fly because they are not AMA members, or have brought aircraft not in keeping with the above general restrictions. These restrictions are not arbitrary: they are in force due to potentially serious legal liability issues. Thanks for your cooperation.

The following link will take you to a map of the UMD campus:

http://www.umd.edu/CampusMaps/campusmapspring2009.pdf

The CFH (Cole Student Activities Bldg) is at square C4 on the map grid, just off of Campus Drive. Parking is available in the lots west of the tennis courts adjacent to the field house. There is also limited parking on Union Drive. Handicapped parking is available.

It is our hope that we will be able to contract with UMD for additional dates in 2010.

Cheers,

Dave Mitchell
Old 12-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Mike in DC

Is there a generally accepted definition of what is an acceptable "indoor" plane?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:51 AM
on_your_six

It is really determined by the building's owner and the sponsor of the event. Keep in mind you are going to be close by others and sometimes over their heads. I have been to exactly two flies, so what do I know? Yesterday at Cole field house I saw Vapors, Sukois, P-51s and they were even nice enough to let me fly my Blade MCX heli. I saw many really nice hand built micro planes. On the other half of the facility, I saw rubber band powered balsa powered flight. Larger planes will disturb the smaller, so it is a matter of cooperation which I saw in abundance. The only thing left undone after the event was recovering a rubber powered aircraft that lodged itself in the speaker array above center court.

I am sure that an event could be planed for larger 3D foam aircraft and maybe even 250 sized helis, but you are going to have to work with building owners and convenience them of the amount of risk they are assuming when they let you fly. I see videos on youtube of people flying 450 sized helis in gyms over hardwood floors. I don't think the building management knows this is happening. I am not judging or setting any standards. Also what one person can control, will be too much for another.

If anyone knows of other DC area flies in addition to the regular DCRC program, please post it here.

ORIGINAL: Mike in DC

Is there a generally accepted definition of what is an acceptable ''indoor'' plane?
Old 12-14-2009, 11:53 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here in NOVA the HobbyHangar crew was trying to get a local place for an indoor event but the building management bailed on us. We used to rent one of the indoor soccer fields at the Dulles SportsPlex but that doesn't seem viable because of the cost

I am really keen on the UMD event but again its a bit far for some of us

good work regardless, I might try the same thing at GMU at the Patriot Center