Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Nitro props vs electric props

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Nitro props vs electric props

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 04:52 PM
N5RMQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro props vs electric props

Whats the deal, can i use a nitro prop on my electric? I don't think I would use an electric prop onmy nitro. Is this true?
Old 12-04-2009, 08:13 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Nitro props vs electric props

You can use a nitro prop on an electric, if it doesn't lug it down to much and draw too much current. For instance, I some times use an Evolution 9x6 on my Parkzone T-28 and works fine.

Using electric props on nitro is a NO NO.[X(][X(][X(] They can't handle the RPM and vibration of a nitro engine!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:59 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Using electric props on nitro is a NO NO. They can't handle the RPM and vibration of a nitro engine!!!"

By and large this is true but some of the direct drive E props are run at extremely high RPMs. Not sure but this sounds like it is exceding 30,000 RPM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XUVk...eature=related

Still, I would not tell anyone to use an E prop on Nitro engines or vice-versa.

Robert
Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 PM
hugger-4641

To expound a little further, you might be right about the plane in the video turning 30,000rmp. But that was probably a 4" to 5" prop max. When you get into larger electrics, say .60 size airframes and up, many people do use nitro props. In the .40 sized electrics and parkflyers there are a few nitro props that will work ok, but the performance is usually not as good as props designed for electric. Props designed for these electrics are too light and thin to be used on nitro engines.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:53 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

To expound a little further, you might be right about the plane in the video turning 30,000rmp. But that was probably a 4'' to 5'' prop max. When you get into larger electrics, say .60 size airframes and up, many people do use nitro props. In the .40 sized electrics and parkflyers there are a few nitro props that will work ok, but the performance is usually not as good as props designed for electric. Props designed for these electrics are too light and thin to be used on nitro engines.
Hence my take on using the phrase now, "Just say no!" when someone asks if they can. I'd rather not explain why because in a few instances one can cross the line on both ends. Far be it from me to establish the boundaries. I did refrain from bringing up the EDF fans! That would be just silly.

Robert
Old 12-05-2009, 11:40 PM
hugger-4641

I think my answer to his question was safe, accurate, and much simpler than yours.

Nitro prop on electric motor- yes but probably a loss of performance.

Electric prop on nitro engine- NO NO NO.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Montague

correct about what prop on what, of course.

The reason you can't put an E-prop on an IC engine isn't the RPM though. It's because the force on the prop isn't constant, it surges with each combustion, and slows down on each compression. A while back some guys with some seriously high quality measuring gear actually recorded and graphed the speed of the prop during each revolution. The stresses on the prop are quite high just from this. And that doesn't even take into account the occasional backfire when starting. I've seen plenty of props intended for glow use throw a blade on start, never mind those thin e-blades.