Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Hots

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: The Hots

Cool John... thanks for the link. I think the design parameters are very wide with the Hots format, and that you'll do fine.. and it will fly regardless of course.

I knew the SuperHots wasn't that large span-wise... I guess I should have measured... at least I had a "close" guess..

Its longer then it is wide... seemingly proportionate though.

I've wondered what a SuperHots, or even a Hots would fly like using a bit of todays structure/design concepts, with the overall finish shape remaining the same. Mine is obvious way overbuilt, and would withstand an earthquake I'm sure, part of the reason its 20+yrs old.. but its a great match for the .91 two-stroke.. and it still floats a bit... and its a permanent part of my fleet.

With laser-cut framing, lightened structure, original shape, and a good performing brushless set-up, I think the original could make a great comeback to mainstream RC.. any thoughts on that guys?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dgrant

Cool John... thanks for the link. I think the design parameters are very wide with the Hots format, and that you'll do fine.. and it will fly regardless of course.

I knew the SuperHots wasn't that large span-wise... I guess I should have measured... at least I had a "close" guess..

Its longer then it is wide... seemingly proportionate though.

I've wondered what a SuperHots, or even a Hots would fly like using a bit of todays structure/design concepts, with the overall finish shape remaining the same. Mine is obvious way overbuilt, and would withstand an earthquake I'm sure, part of the reason its 20+yrs old.. but its a great match for the .91 two-stroke.. and it still floats a bit... and its a permanent part of my fleet.

With laser-cut framing, lightened structure, original shape, and a good performing brushless set-up, I think the original could make a great comeback to mainstream RC.. any thoughts on that guys?
    Hi again,

Are you saying that the super hots at 54"span is a good match for a 91 2st ? if this is the case then my prediction for the one i`m doing is way out !

I would think the last thing you would want is an underpowered hots !!! thanks for the input, i do appreciate it.

john

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My SuperHots with an ASP .91 two-stroke is a great match really... especially in its day... I think that combo was even ahead of its time really, as it was fully capable of hovering it before hovering was mainstream.

Overall the SuperHots is way overbuilt, especially with the wood contained in the original kit... so as airframes go, in todays world its a real pig... with that said.. its really not even that big of a plane either. But for the violent manuervers that these are also capable of, it won't come apart in any way shape or form.

I would imagine if steps were taken to lighten the structure via lighter materials, or re-engineering somehow a 1.5xHots would do OK with a .91... but I wouldn't bet on it.

The whole reason I installed the .91 was after many years with a .61 on it(it was decent with that, but very middle of the road).. the firewall/cowling bond got weak. So I simply put a new firewall on it, no cowling, glassed the front end up, and bolted on the .91 I had in my cabinet. It did give it a newer, more radical look with a huge open engine, as well as being crazy fast and powerful. I quickly found that combo with a 14x6 prop would sustain a hover virtually as long as I wanted.. with power to pull out vertically..

You might get some performance with a .91 depending on what materials you use.. I just dont know though... and frankly I doubt it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I`m choosing the wood carefully and i know the finished airframe will be as light as possible, but there is still that big blunt wing to overcome. I`ll speak to the owner and mention our concerns.

Are we better moving this discussion to the build thread i`m doing, i would`nt want to hijack someone elses thread.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flyathome

I am currently building an Ultra Hots. The wing span is 80 inches. If you are wanting to build something that size the
    easiest thing to do is to simply build the Ultra Hots. I am building mine from the Model Airplane News plans. They are
    not very good plans. My guess is that who ever drew the plans never built a plane from them. There are problems
    with the plans that would quickly have come to light if they had built a plane using them. Even though they are more
    expensive, if I had it to do over again I would order the plans from the Santich web site. At least I know they have
    built the planes. The Hots is a great plane. I have built several of them over the years.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

What size of enginedo theyrecommended for the ultra Hots ?

Thanks
    john

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John,

Actually this is my second Ultra Hots. I had one some years ago and sold it. I had so much fun with it I decided to build another.
    My first Ultra Hots had a G-38 on it. It was more than enough for sport flying. The one I am building now will have a CRRC 40
    for power. Again, I am not expecting 3D performance just good solid sport flying. I have other planes to fly when I want to mess
    around with the 3D stuff. The Ultra Hots is really a straight forward build, nothing out of the ordinary, but provides a really fun
    plane.

I say, "Go for it in whatever size you like."

Steve
    I don\'\'\'\'t crash. The planet keeps getting in my way!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John,

Actually this is my second Ultra Hots. I had one some years ago and sold it. I had so much fun with it I decided to build another.
    My first Ultra Hots had a G-38 on it. It was more than enough for sport flying. The one I am building now will have a CRRC 40
    for power. Again, I am not expecting 3D performance just good solid sport flying. I have other planes to fly when I want to mess
    around with the 3D stuff. The Ultra Hots is really a straight forward build, nothing out of the ordinary, but provides a really fun
    plane.

I say, "Go for it in whatever size you like."

Steve
    Cheers steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a picture of the progress I have made so far on my Ultra Hots. It is coming along well.
    I figure I am about 50% done with about 80% to go

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz77896.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	1413309  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a picture of the progress I have made so far on my Ultra Hots. It is coming along well.
    I figure I am about 50% done with about 80% to go

Steve

Very nice framing Steve. These planes are just totally unmistakeable. Any schemes in mind yet?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

Hey guys,let's see more pics of your Hots! ''Older IS better!!!
    Here's mine.

Name:	Mk25251.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	1413740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr53883.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	1413741  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LS1F

What method did you use to attach your wing cover/hatch? I have not decided for sure how I am going to do
    mine. I was not at all happy with the way I did it on my first Ultra Hots. I am open to ideas.

Thanks,

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello all,
    It's been a while but I'm slowly making progress on my "Hots".
    Got all the servo's mounted, The fuel tank and lines, and the landing gear.
    I'm gonna mount the control surfaces next...Any recomendations as to what hinges I should use?
    P.S. I've been distracted by a new Electristar Select I just got!!

Enjoy the pics and HAPPYFLYING!

Name:	Bz77723.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	1434980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa85425.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	1434981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rw58562.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	1434982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xr45836.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	1434983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oz31040.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	1434984  

Now, get out and fly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking good, dont you just love these aeroplanes !

As for hinges, i cant see by those CA ones. i was a bit wary at first but i`ve used them on everything including jets without any problems.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123