Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

The Hots

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 03:46 AM
john josey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The Hots

Hi Magwie,

The one thing i dont have is a plan, is there any chance you could post the actual CofG location and aileron and elevator throws ?

At the moment i have the CofG on the main spar, and 6mm each way for aileron and 10mm each way for elevator, but thats only an educated guess.

cheers
                                            john
Old 03-09-2010, 06:53 AM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The center of the cg range for the .40 size Hots is center'd on the leading edge of the spar. I just measured mine & the range is 2 3/4"-3 1/8" from the leading edge of the wing. As far as the throws, I just set mine about 3/16" ail, 1/4" ele, for low rate & doubled it for high rate. The rudder is max throw. I will adjust these as needed once i get it in the air. I know these are safe values for the first few flights till I get her tweeked. Good luck & enjoy!! Bill
Old 03-09-2010, 07:48 AM
john josey

ORIGINAL: MILDBILL-RCU

The center of the cg range for the .40 size Hots is center'd on the leading edge of the spar. I measured mine & the range is 2 3/43 1/8 from the leading edge of the wing. As far as the throws, I just set mine about 3/16" ail, 1/4" ele, for low rate & doubled it for high rate. The rudder is max throw. I will adjust these as needed once i get it in the air. I know these are safe values for the first few flights till I get her tweeked. Good luck & enjoy!! Bill
OK, thanks for that bill.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:22 PM
magwie

John, here is what I have...looks like Bill is right on. I have more pics of original plans and parts lists but the files are too large to post here.
Have fun this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99817.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	1395674  
Old 03-10-2010, 09:35 PM
magwie

Parts list

Name:	Vs55829.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	1395682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13281.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1395683  
Old 03-10-2010, 09:38 PM
magwie

Assembly Instructions The Hots

Name:	jh15883.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	1395684   Click image for larger version

Name:	ql33412.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	1395685  
Old 03-10-2010, 11:26 PM
cajun1

The Hots was such a fantastic flying plane, I am surprised some company has not offered it in a ARF. I built the Hots and Super Hots in the late 1980s, and always admired the Ultra Hots but one would not fit in my hanger at the time.

You guys keep talking and I may have to build another one. It is a fun flying plane.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 PM
john josey

Magwie, thanks for posting those, that was really interesting to see. Apart from the internal cut-out on F2 for the tank i think i have everything else is as it should be.

I think it`s a testament to the original simple/straightforward design that i managed to build a new one from scratch without any documentation at all.

cheers for that
                                                                john
Old 03-10-2010, 11:47 PM
john josey

ORIGINAL: cajun1

The Hots was such a fantastic flying plane, I am surprised some company has not offered it in a ARF. I built the Hots and Super Hots in the late 1980s, and always admired the Ultra Hots but one would not fit in my hanger at the time.

You guys keep talking and I may have to build another one. It is a fun flying plane.
I`ve heard the hots be compared to the black horse twister, but in my opinion the twister is a poor second, it may look similar, but there`s only one hots

As for building one, go on you know you want to.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:12 PM
flyathome
My Feedback: (7)

Some years ago I built and flew an Ultra Hots. I had more fun with that plane than about any other I have ever owned. For some reason I took it to auction and
sold it. As soon as I did I regretted it. So, after all these years, I am in the process of building another Ultra Hots. I am hoping to have it flying in late April or May.
I am really looking forward to finishing it.

Steve
Old 03-11-2010, 09:11 PM
john josey

ORIGINAL: flyathome

Some years ago I built and flew an Ultra Hots. I had more fun with that plane than about any other I have ever owned. For some reason I took it to auction and
sold it. As soon as I did I regretted it. So, after all these years, I am in the process of building another Ultra Hots. I am hoping to have it flying in late April or May.
I am really looking forward to finishing it.

Steve
Untill i stumbled across this thread i thought i was the only one on this planet to still have any interest in this aeroplane, i`m so pleased to find it still has a good following.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:14 AM
AlphaWhisky

I finished this one a few weeks ago. Was considering building the Ultra Hots but settled for this instead. Reduced the .60 plan down to 51" span. Two reasons - built it as a one piece model and it fits in my Mazda wagon nicely at this size. Also, had a new OS .40 FP to fly it so didn`t want to overtax it. Made the effort to keep weight down - hollowed out all the wing ribs among a few other austerity measures. final flying weight was 3lbs 2ozs.

Was initially disappointed with it, but now the engine has freed up and I`ve got it trimmed to suit me, I`m really chuffed with it....

Alan W

Name:	Ay75633.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	1396428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82999.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1396429  
Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 AM
outdoorhunting

Hehehehe. Hey, AlphaWhisky, is that a pic of the pilot with your plane, or what???
Old 03-12-2010, 12:14 PM
magwie

All these pics and stories make me anxious to get back to my build. I'm thrilled to hear so many good reviews and I love all the pics.
Glad to hear all of you enjoy  "The Hots"
Has anybody out there set one of these up for electric power? I would like some recomendations...if you have any.

Thanks,
Old 03-12-2010, 07:17 PM
AlphaWhisky

outdoorhunting,

That`s Sam. He doesn`t fly - he`s chief inspector ...

Alan W

Name:	Ay73725.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	1396738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12506.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1396739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24376.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1396740  
Old 03-12-2010, 07:20 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple years ago I reclaimed my " Midwest Electric Hots " from it's home ( hanging from the celing of the hobby shop I use to work in ). It had been there since I built it when they first came out, I'm not sure of the year about 1988 I think.

I brought it down to Fla. and flew it with the old brushed motor ( 550 ) for a few flights then decided to upgrade. This planes wt. was about 38 oz. My upgrade was as follows: Maxproducts motor HC3516-1350, Castle Thunderbird 54 speed control and 3 cell 2200 lipo's.

It flew GREAT and until I had a case of dumb thumbs it was one of my favorites. It was a SAD day that it bit the dust. I do have a kit of the Midwest 40 hots and plan on building it one day and slimming it down and putting the electric gear in it. If it flies anything like the old one I'll be Happy.

I'm not normally an Electric flier but I do have a couple and don't claim to know much about them, just fly em.
ENJOY !!! RED
Old 03-12-2010, 08:16 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I was a big fan of the Hots when it came out, I was a bigger fan when I got my SuperHots.. and I think I'm an even bigger fan today. It was really the first plane I was successful in hovering... and my SH will do the meanest upright flat-spin I've ever seen.. I'm also getting the itch to break mine out.. I know I'll fly it by summer for sure.. Its a great, timeless design.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:22 PM
magwie

Red head...Thanks for the recomondations on the electric gear. I think I have some left overs laying around from other dead planes. Sorry to hear about your "dumb thumbs " [:@]

NOTICE TO ALL: My hots is on hold due to lack of funds, I'm curently accepting donations!

Glad to see the plane has approval from all over the globe!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:15 PM
john josey

Flew my new hots today and it was so good that my good friend and flying buddy wants to build a bigger one for himself. We have decided to make it 50% bigger, which makes it around 72" wing span so we can use the full lenth of the 36" balsa sheets. Something tells us that this increase in size is in fact the super hots, can anybody confirm if this is the case or not ?

cheers
                                                           john
Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 PM
webdragon

I have a second hots all cut out and ready to be built and i got to thinking, has anyone electrified one yet? I seem to remember a lectric hots that used a brushed motor but i suspect the new brushless motors might really haul the mail.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:16 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: john josey

Flew my new hots today and it was so good that my good friend and flying buddy wants to build a bigger one for himself. We have decided to make it 50% bigger, which makes it around 72'' wing span so we can use the full lenth of the 36'' balsa sheets. Something tells us that this increase in size is in fact the super hots, can anybody confirm if this is the case or not ?

cheers
john
That is NOT the case John. The SuperHots has about a 58" span if Im not mistaken... its definately not 50% bigger then the Hots in any case. The UltraHots has somewhere around a 72" span.. but I don't think any of them are a simple enlargement... I'm not saying it wont work.. but... each size/design is proven to work well.. it wouldnt be to costly at all to obtain original plans for most any size I'm sure though.

PS.. I dont think 50% bigger equates to a 72" span either.. the original is 48" I think.. so 48+24 isn't 72.. but any case.. it wont be the same dimension as a Super.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:34 PM
outdoorhunting

www. dansantichmodels.net Dan can help you out with any of the "Hots" plans. His Dad designed them for Midwest way back when. I think I paid 30 bucks for my plans & they were great !!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:52 PM
webdragon

ORIGINAL: dgrant

Wow.. the Hots are all over the place. Nice planes guys.. all of them. Nice to see the Hots is stll alive and well.

Magwie.. hope you get yours running soon.

I've been fortunate to get some weekends of great flying already.. looking forward to alot more too. Im almost done restoring a WorldModels Mustang.. hopefully I'll maiden that in the next month or so. My SuperHots will definately fly this year again.. I just don't know when.. I usually fly it at the lake(big big parking lot, wilderness area).. theres a few of us that go up just for a change of scenery... its a wide open space to let that thing loose.. it does leave a big foot-print in the sky as it shreads the air.
It's quite easy to make a Hot the "Go to" plane of ones collection. Mine has been in the car with me almost Every time i have went to the field. My first was a Midwest kit that was covered in the most horrid Neon Yellow with black trim, I lost it to a midair that removed the engine, it took me about a week to gather supplies and build my second one, with a GP 42 and a tuned pipe It's a bullet with wings. Here's a picture before the tuned pipe went on

Name:	Gd93616.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1410512  
Old 04-02-2010, 10:57 PM
flyathome
My Feedback: (7)

I am currently building an Ultra Hots. The wing span is 80 inches. If you are wanting to build something that size the
easiest thing to do is to simply build the Ultra Hots. I am building mine from the Model Airplane News plans. They are
not very good plans. My guess is that who ever drew the plans never built a plane from them. There are problems
with the plans that would quickly have come to light if they had built a plane using them. Even though they are more
expensive, if I had it to do over again I would order the plans from the Santich web site. At least I know they have
built the planes. The Hots is a great plane. I have built several of them over the years.

Steve
Old 04-02-2010, 11:05 PM
john josey

ORIGINAL: dgrant

ORIGINAL: john josey

Flew my new hots today and it was so good that my good friend and flying buddy wants to build a bigger one for himself. We have decided to make it 50% bigger, which makes it around 72'' wing span so we can use the full lenth of the 36'' balsa sheets. Something tells us that this increase in size is in fact the super hots, can anybody confirm if this is the case or not ?

cheers
john
That is NOT the case John. The SuperHots has about a 58" span if Im not mistaken... its definately not 50% bigger then the Hots in any case. The UltraHots has somewhere around a 72" span.. but I don't think any of them are a simple enlargement... I'm not saying it wont work.. but... each size/design is proven to work well.. it wouldnt be to costly at all to obtain original plans for most any size I'm sure though.

PS.. I dont think 50% bigger equates to a 72" span either.. the original is 48" I think.. so 48+24 isn't 72.. but any case.. it wont be the same dimension as a Super.
Hi,

Yeah, i have since found out that the super hots is 54" span which is much smaller than i thought. The reason that i made it 50% bigger was for two reasons -

1/ it`s easy to calculate

2/ i can use the full lenth of the standard 36" balsa sheet for the wing.

48+24 is 72, though it will end up around 78" span once the curved wing tips are added.

I`ve started a build thread on here if your interested http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...tm.htm#9625613

cheers
john

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.