Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Strange Flying Conditions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange Flying Conditions

Dear All,

Here in my part of the World (Mid North Coast of NSW Australia) it is summer with temps in the high 30's Centigrade and RH >90%. Yesterday was a great day at the field with light breeze and strong thermals but very hot!!! I maidened a glider for a member who flys well but suffers from a lack of confidence and was amazed how strong the thermals were. I hadn't noticed much movement earlier in the day when flying my US1000.

After flying the glider I then flew my Morris Hobbies Giant Su-Do-Khoi and whilst flying a harrier with very little throttle ( the model normally slowly settles at this throttle setting was amazed to see it rapidly gain altitude in a thermal, probably about 200' in thirty seconds!!! I spun it down to about 50' and flew very slowly into the light breeze when again I found a thermal and it went up like an elevator. I was able to repeat this process a number of times. Great fun. Something you all might like to try with a lightly loaded model on the "right day". It was certainly a new experience for me.

Best wishes to all for the Christmas Season and New Year,

Colin
Old 12-17-2009, 12:04 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Strange Flying Conditions

Colin, we are in the grip of winter here in the US, it has been 3-4C average daytime temp here in my area. I like the way my plane and engine performs in cool dry air, but if I had my way, I would prefer somewhat warmer weather. We get some strong thermal action in the summer, they are easy to find as the birds like them too. I just follow those birds