Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Best RC airplane ever owned.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Best RC airplane ever owned.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best RC airplane ever owned.

If I could only have one - it would be a Stik. From the original Ugly Stik to the Ultra Stick and lots of variations/refinements (Midwest Aero-Sport 20/40/60, Jerry's Big Boy, WM Super Stunts 40/60), they have remained honest straightforward durable planes. A close second would be the Goldberg Tigers - Junior Tiger, Sky Tiger, Tiger II and Tiger 60 - best landing planes I've flown.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:30 AM
GravityTester
My Feedback: (25)

Fun Post.
Out of the 50 planes I have owned my favorite has been the Funtana. I have had the mini, the 100 size and two 40 size. The 100 size Funtana X with a fs 120 was my favorite.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:22 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Andrews Aeromaster, Ohio RC Chipmunk ( now precision cut kits), Kange Waco biplane. All of them capable of any aerobatic maneuver yet gentle on the landings. I have had the Chipmunk for 10 years and fly it every year.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Rexroat

An Airtrax with a G-62 and a Precision Aviation Davis Acro with a DA 85. With these two planes, you'll never need another.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:41 AM
ASCHKINGDOM
My Feedback: (103)

My Carl Goldber Jr. Falcon. Built it in the 60's and still have it!!
Old 12-24-2009, 10:49 AM
brown2x2
My Feedback: (35)

Mine is a CG Chipmunk. I build it in 1989. The best combo was a O.S. BX-1 and ever so slightly tail heavy.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Steve Landron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My "Best" has to be the World Models T-34. I enjoy the flight characteristics throughout the flight envelope.. My oldest, is the Carl Goldberg Eagle 63, still have that one hanging in the garage.

Steve
Old 12-24-2009, 11:17 AM
lflf
My Feedback: (1)

Marks Models Fun Scale Pitts: I had about 10 of these in the 80's and 90's. It was a cheap kit and easy to build. I bought a bunch from Sheldons in California from the last production run. I had talked to Mark Smith on the phone and tracked them down. I liked the way it fit in the hatchback of my 84 Toyota Tercel with the wings on, which was one of the reasons I had so many. It was very hard to fly and I experimented with various engines and mounting configurations. Of the 4 pictured the one with LF7 and the wheel pants was probably the best one, it was powered by an enya 45 CX and with all that power flew pretty impressively. Takeoffs and landings were something else. Maybe I'll build another some day, but now days I fly stiks. I doubt I have good enough vision or reflexes to fly that fast little bipe now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11145.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	633.7 KB
ID:	1341001  
Old 12-24-2009, 12:47 PM
187crew

I think my all time favorite would have to be the Balsa USA Phaeton II, with the Smith Miniplane a close second. I've been flying my Phaeton for six years now with a Saito .65. It's beat to death, the landing gear is flattened out, the covering is peeling off but it's just a blast to fly. Although, there's a new contender on the building board, the Hogbipe. So I may have a new fav come springtime.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:43 PM
lflf

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

If I could only have one - it would be a Stik. From the original Ugly Stik to the Ultra Stick and lots of variations/refinements (Midwest Aero-Sport 20/40/60, Jerry's Big Boy, WM Super Stunts 40/60), they have remained honest straightforward durable planes. A close second would be the Goldberg Tigers - Junior Tiger, Sky Tiger, Tiger II and Tiger 60 - best landing planes I've flown.
I would have to agree you can't go wrong with a stik. I've had many. Like a faithful old dog, a stik will always be there for you and never let you down. Those tigers were/are great flying planes too, I built a junior tiger for my dad and he flew it incessantly for years, then when he retired from flying he gave it to me and I flew it for several more. Must have had 10 years flying logged on it, and it showed, but that structure was sturdy, and held up. I finally junked it when I tried to re-cover it and it was so oil soaked it fell completely apart. Seems towards the end, the covering was the only thing holding the parts together.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:39 AM
H5487

ORIGINAL: DAN REISS - Post #25 (12/22/2009)

...You kids don’t know what you missed.
Hi, Dan. I can relate. I've been in R/C since 1968 and you're right; there's been lots of technological progress in those 41 years.

Consider this: The average modern automobile contains more computing power than the 1969 Apollo capsule that took us to the moon and back!

Harvey
Old 12-26-2009, 09:10 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; My vote for the best 40 size would be the Sig Mid-star 40, best flyer ever. Best 60 size would be the Sig 4 star 60. Besat 120 size would be the Sig (surprised?) spacewalker 11. Don't get me wrong, I like Goldberg kits too, but Sig does it for me!

Best biplane GB Ulitmate, best seaplane ACE big Bingo on Floats. Best floater/trainer, senior Telemaster. best glider, Dynaflite bird of time.

I'm surprised to see so many Kavaliers. I have one of those and it is a great plane, but I still prefer the Mid-star.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:26 PM
fix-n-fly

The best plane I ever owned - Sig Senior Kadet. I am a novice at best and have flown lots of different trainer type planes but have found nothing that compares with the Sig Senior Kadet.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:55 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Now that my nostalgic memory has been put into full gear please permit my 2 cents.

I, like MR. Dan Reiss struggled through the 1940's and 50's with big gas tube receivers that for me, never worked.[&o] and winding escapement rubber bands. so controline flying was my thing until 1967 when I arrived in Texas and MR. Mel WHITLEY flew my top flite Orion with my Heathkit 5 channel radio Man, what a rush!!

But my all time favorite plane was and still is, the super Kaos 40 of which I have two on the bench now. One I built in 1989 and is getting a new fuselage and a second set up as a tail dragger with retracts. my son has a copy of the 1989 bird which we do formation flying at my home. I have flown many of the planes mentioned in this thread and they are all very good birds. but for me the Kaos is the best!

Donny
Old 01-06-2010, 03:44 PM
wobblyflight

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

Any plane that has the words Ugly and Stick in it. Some of the best flying planes ever designed. I really wish they would all come back. Good Luck, Dave
I hope this includes the e-Stick 25, one of the funest and most flyable planes.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:46 PM
wobblyflight

ORIGINAL: fix-n-fly

The best plane I ever owned - Sig Senior Kadet. I am a novice at best and have flown lots of different trainer type planes but have found nothing that compares with the Sig Senior Kadet.
I think the Telemaster 40 would challenge it, in either gas or electric version. I think the Kadet has probably gotten more people into the air than just about any other design. At least it had the edge before all the ARF trainers came on the scene.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Tjettzky

Since it's the only plane I've ever owned, I'm going with the Revell Piloto!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:01 AM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is a toss up between a Dynaflite fun scale P51 and a Goldberg Jr Sky Tiger. I had both in the late 80s - early 90s, flew both almost every day when I got off work and the field ( now its Ontario Mills Mall) was 4 miles from home.Flew both of them until they were so fuel soaked that the monocoat wouldn't stay on. I even got my picture in the local paper because I was flying them on Christmas Day!
Old 01-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Jim B
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bridi Kaos with any .61 (Clarence Lee custom .61 early on)
MK Arrow
AAMCO A-Ray
Southern RC Sweet tater
Goldberg Ultimate with 120 4-stroke
JR. Telemaster (the 25 sized)
Sagitta 900
Goldberg Chipmunk

To name a few off the top of my head.
Doc B.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Jackjet

ORIGINAL: glowplugboy

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets??

Come to think about it, that's a darn interesting question.....
Why did they?
Does anyone know the answer........
Old 01-08-2010, 03:21 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

It contained the ear speakers for the radio.

Don
Old 01-08-2010, 03:58 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: hattend

It contained the ear speakers for the radio.

Don

Well of course! I had not thought of that.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:11 AM
Grampaw

This piece got kind of long, so go at your own risk
I have been fooling around with model airplanes since I was a kid, I'm 78 now. I didn't get into RC until somewhere around the
mid 60's, building and flying (some successful and a few not so succesful) all were models built from plans published in RCM, MAN and Flying Models. In the 70's I moved up a notch to 4 and 5 Ch. planes and my education in flying expanded. I was building my own airplanes then, and all flew very well, thanks to the fact that all were mostly copies of proven published designs. I cannot
remember all of them, and sadly have no photos of those early planes.
Along the way my oldest daughter married and her husband, thinking he might like to try RC flying himself began looking at some of the foam tinker toy stuff that began to show up. When I got wind of this, just before Christmas, I asked my daughter to stall him from purchasing anything till after Christmas. She managed and I gave him a Balsa USA Stick 40 Plus insisting that he read the instructions first before attempting to put it together. I had pointed a few others to the Sticks that were rank beginners and they did very well putting them together, although the wing posed some problems for one or two. The My son-In-Law did a good job on the fuselage and when he was ready for the wing, I helped with the wing construction during a weekend we spent at their home over Christmas. I had a Fox .36 Rear Ehaust that I loaned him for power. I had him flying with an old trainer type I had and he did well. Turned out he had some time at the controls of a Cessna 170 owned by his Mom's boyfriend, an airline pilot. He and the Stick 40 got along very well, except for Landings and Take Offs. Before we got any further on his training, a new job out of state took them away and they couldn't take the Stick with them, so I got it back. I stripped it, repainted the wood parts, recovered the wing and added drooped tips, and put pants on the wheels, "sporting" the old girl up a bit. She turned 21 this past Christmas, and and she's leaning against the wall behind me right now, with a more modern Magnum GP 40 up front. We're waiting for the weather to warm up so we can get out for some more fun...And, oh yes, that particular Stick 40 Plus is the Best RC Airplane I've Ever Owned!
Old 01-09-2010, 05:48 AM
H5487

Neat story, Grampaw!

Harvey
Old 01-09-2010, 10:28 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

The best flying plane I've ever owned, is still waiting for me, I hope. But, one of the best and most neutral flying, was a scratch built Super Kaos 60, w/ a piped YS 61. My current favorite is a 85" QQ Yak 54, powered by a Taurus 52. An awesome combination, and way more capable than I am. LOL
zx32tt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.