Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

No local hobbyshop for aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

No local hobbyshop for aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 03:42 PM
bigtroutdog
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No local hobbyshop for aircraft

I've been out rc airplanes for two years. I'm getting back into it this year. I went to the local hobbyshop (hobbies of Reno)and its closed. They were the only ones in Reno that sold glow fuel. Byproduct of a poor economy. Good thing most of my flying is with gas. Just venting.
mike
Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: No local hobbyshop for aircraft

Yeah, that bites. It's been going on for a while now though- the internet has put so many of those guys out of business, combined with the fact that far fewer people are involved with the hobby. Like I always say, "I'm the only one I know who flies R/C" lol. There are many threads about what you describe on RCU. Even if a new LHS does open up, they seem to have a 3 year lifespan at the most. I'm very fortunate to have one nearby, and I think he's able to stay afloat because he's done something different- his primary business model is selling high quality pool table equipment, dart boards, entertainment centers, bar equipment, etc. So far I think he's been selling R/C for 3 years, everything is going well from the looks of it. His prices are fair and he has lots of RTF stuff that people want today, along with fuel. I think this might be the only way R/C stuff will be able to be sold locally in the future, vs being sold from an exclusive "hobby store." I even carry his cards to give to people who ask about the airplane when they see me flying just to help him out, but I've never seen another RC plane at the field I fly at.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:00 AM
outdoorhunting

Default RE: No local hobbyshop for aircraft

In my home town ( Indiana) where I spend my summers. We have a lhs that has carried all kinds of model train stuff. He's been trying for 3 yrs to break into "RC'Airplanes. He carries what he can & his prices aren't that bad. ( Maybe 10%) over the "online" stores. I've tried to get my buds to buy from him, but it seems it just don't happen. I'm sure he'll struggle for a while & then quit.