Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Most Important Model Airplane of all time

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Most Important Model Airplane of all time

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 11:53 AM
acobra
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most Important Model Airplane of all time

Hi Guys & Gals:
Have you ever stopped to consider what would be the most important model airplane of all time? I don’t mean your favorite but, the one most important to our hobby/sport. Think it over and get back with your input of up to 5 models.
I am gathering information for a book I am working on with the presumed title of “The 100 most important model airplanes of all time”. Give me your input.

Sunday Flier
Old 11-23-2002, 01:01 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Most important...

Well, do you mean a plane responsible for bringing the most new pilots to the sport? Toss up the Goldberg Falcon 56, the Sig Kadet series, the Seniorita/Senior and the venerable Goldberg Eagle 63.

Sport? I think most definatly the Ugly Stick...starting with the original Jensen Ugly Stick. My choice for overall most important.

Can't leave out the Kaos's, either.

You almost kind have to rate them by decades, with each decade having their "best of the best. And since Bubba Spivey at Lanier practically invented the ARF, his line of planes must be included, argueably. ARF's....a whole book in itself must be included for what they have done for the sport as a whole.

Still, overall, the Ugly Stick and it's variations have been timeless....almost 40 years (that's four decades folks) of bashing, improving and completely reworking the flight envelope. I'd venture to say no one plane design has given more smiles per ounce of fuel burned, overall, ever.

So, you asked for it, you got it, JMHO. Use it if you like.

Best to you all,

Mike Bogh

Old 11-24-2002, 11:16 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm assuming you want a list of importnt planes and not just THE most important plane.TextTHE
That being the case, here are mine in no particular order:

Good Brothers Guff - it started it all
Trixter Beam by Lou andrews - helped make the hobby popular in the good old days
Smog Hog
Astro Hog - first (?) low-wing RC
Taurus - one of the most popular designs ever
LA-1 - started the modern pattern ship design
Sig Kadet
Sig Kadet Senior
Hollinger Piper J3 - helped make RC scale popular - design still lives today by SIG.
Bootstraps
Esquire
Mambo

RCPAUL
Old 11-25-2002, 10:16 AM
Al Stein

Awright -- I'm not the only one here who remembers Bootstraps! Where'd PAA cpompetition go (Heck, where'd PAA go -- even the airline is gone now)?

How 'bout the Bill Winter R/C Special... R/C planes with repeated re-publishings over at least 40 years are pretty rare.

Was the CGM Falcon 56 the first purpose-designed multi-channel trainer? It was at least an excellent design and a huge success with repeasted kittings from 1963 or 1964 through 2002 (and a variety of derivatives -- big, small, high-wing, low-wing, single engine, multi-engine). If nothing else, the Falcon got CGM back on its feet financially after the Shoestring saved brought the Company back from it's near-death experience of the early 60s.

Oh, about that Jensen Ugly Stick... let's don't forget that it was designed by Phil Kraft, I think a couple of years before being published in Grid Leaks and only after that produced in kit form. (Mikey's contribution, of course, was to show us that green is THE color for that airplane.)
Old 01-05-2003, 10:16 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear Sunday,

In your list of the 100 most important model airplanes of all time, one of the top 5, if not THE #1, has to be the Jim Walker Fly-Baby. This little control-liner was the "first plane" for thousands of kids during the 1950s and 60s. From it, many of us "caught the bug" that led to bigger and better things

just my opinion,
papermache
Old 01-05-2003, 12:10 PM
Roodester

Has anyone considered the models of Sir George Cayley, Otto Lilienthal, Octave Chanute, Samuel Langley, and the Wright brothers around the end of the 19 th century of any importance? They were certainly not radio controlled, but without them, kiss R/C goodbye. Although I know nothing about their models, I'd say they are more important than all the 20 th century models combined.

Roodester
Old 01-05-2003, 09:34 PM
Roodester

Swooper's right on - modeling is just "plane" fun. Had a club meeting today and took out some planes with skiis on them. The skiis were't set right which posed a take off problem, but I was able to coax my Nifty Fifty off the snow. It just felt great to be flying again.

What I meant by those models used by the "pioneers of flight" is that it is a great testament to the gift aeromodeling has given our world. I just want to give a "pat on the back" to our great hobby.

Roodester
Old 01-06-2003, 10:14 AM
7suns-disable

Sterling Ringmaster
Falcon 56
TF Warbirds
Jensen Ugly Stick
Sig Kwik-Bilt P-51

in no particular order [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2003, 02:48 PM
acobra

Ok, OK, This is what I meant. I was talking of a model for enjoyment and competition (i.e. FUN) not as a tool for full-size, although I realize the importance of models in that situation.
My list, Twin Pusher, Ringmaster, AJ Firebaby, Ugly stick and Kaydet, the last two include all the knockoff and versions.
Frank
Old 01-06-2003, 04:53 PM
ksechler

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Astro Hog. I don't know a lot of model history but wasn't it one of the first truely aerobatic multi-channel planes built. I believe it won the Nats.

I built the Sig kit years ago and it was a great flyer. Aerobatic, but it could really slow down and was easy to take off and land.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:19 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Its really impossible to pick a single most important model...

first, there's probably no one that knows of ALL the models ever built... and thus how can we compare to be sure we got the most important in relation to ALL of aviation?

With a flyable (but too fragile and valuable to try... so a replica was made and flown) found in an Egyptian tomb dating appx 2000 BC, and then the designs by others through the centuries since... its just too big an order.

it is probably sufficient to say that aviation would not have the sophistication it does now without the unending developments brought by experimenting with models.

The most important R/C model... probably the winner of the R/C event at the appx 1938 NATS. The first one to survive over 1 year. This model proved that R/C flight was really going to WORK! I can look it up... I've got an original of the "Flying Aces" magazine reporting the NATS from back then.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:40 PM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

Hi, Sunday Flier; (There are a jillion of us!) I read the many "nominations" with great interest! Obviously it must be aimed at RC, but I go along with the many of the non-rc planes. Someone talked about the Walkers Fireball as though it started something, but my first control-line plane was the Victor Stanzel Super G Shark! It was the first to take hold in my area (W. PA) Mine was a Christmas present in 1940or 41, with a Dennymite engine! My first RC was a converted Playboy freeflite with Good Bros. radio. But I feel that it would be almost impossible to name one single plane, since every decade had "an airplane" that dragged everyone along with it. I would be hard pressed to pick just one plane. But let's tabulate the votes and all be "surprised"!! Incidentally, I built my first model in 1935. (A bit of subtraction will show you that I am,indeed, 39!!! Lee N. Robinson,

Greenacres, FL Robinaire

Old 05-09-2003, 01:33 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Obviously the most important model to the average flyer is that last one he built and the next one he is going to build. Like robinaire I started buuilding in the thirties, 1934 to be exact. My first gassie was a Bunch Scorpion Major with a Baby Cyclone pulling it. The most important models are probably the old twin pushers and the Wakefields. The most important fuel powered was Maxwell Basset's - powered with the help of Bill Brown's engine. They had to rewrite the rule books with that one. Maxwell competed against rubber power. No contest.
Next came Irwin Ohlsson with his engines and airplanes as well as the Bunch Brothers, Barney Snyder, Carl Goldberg, Bridi, Schulman and a host of others with many other free flights. Jim Walker changed the face of sport flying with his U-control. I was at war above Europe when the wire flyers started. Immediate post war airplanes started with Stanzel's super G Shark. Some more free flight with Miss Tiny and free flight as well as some converted "goats" with wires. RC was a sailplane with reeds. Huge Xmitter and tubed Rcvr. Since then electric sailplanes from Goldberg such as Electra and fun fly Mirage with proportinal RC.
Most important to RC. Walt Good's Guff
Bridi RCM Trainer Tie with Sig Kadets
Astro Hog
Scale WWII aircraft at Top Gun
Any Turbo jet

Let us know when the book is ready.

Old 05-09-2003, 10:31 PM
gliderlauncher
My Feedback: (2)

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Text Have to agree with the many votes for the Sig Kadet series. Am now flying my 4th one(crashed and desrtoyed two--sold one) Like the Senior the best--mines a lowwing with ailerons. Have to say, the one airplane that really got me going was the P51. There are a lot of ARFs and kits of this popular airplane. Everyone I know has or has had one. Yes I've got one--Great Planes ARF with an OS 91FX for power. 120mph, and a real handfull. This is just my view--not a real historian like other replys. Like to see your book when finished.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:18 PM
acobra

Great to see this discussion coming back up. Lets see your most inportant selections, not just R/C but C/L and FF. Remember models for the sake of personal flying not research stuff for full size. The book is a ways away but I'm part way through an article if I can find someone who will publish it.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Tattooold

I grew up in the 60's with the Grocery store slide together balsa rubber band powered planes. Then the C/L cox PT-19. The .049 from that went on to 4 or 5 Lil Wizzards, a Lil Satan and years later an ACE R/C Wizzard. A friend had a Cosmic Wind and I had a Ringmaster. Once into R/C I had a Kadet and no less than 5 CGM Falcons. One airplane that is all but forgotten...is the Balsa USA Swizzle Stick...when I soloed in 77, those things were everywhere. I even had a .40 sized Sterling R/C Ringmaster. Also had a Kaos. But...throughout my first 20 years of R/C, it was the Ugly Stick/Big Stick/Sweet Sticks that ruled then, and still rule now. Ugly Stick get's my vote for #1 in general with the CGM Falcon series a close second.

But...for me personally that's not the #1 plane of all time. That honor, with no disrespect to the conventional classics, and just for me personally, goes to Spad #1. The plane doesn't even have a name...just Spad #1, and there was only one built. At the age of 37, deeply in debt, frantic lifestyle, etc...etc...etc... I was on the verge of selling out and leaving the hobby for good. An innocent little $5 scratchbult plastic airplane changed all that five years ago. 300+ different Spad variations later, and my fire is burning hotter than ever! BTW, if anyone's interested, Spad #1 will be flight ready at Spadfest...for anyone who want's to to fly it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	spad 01 flyby5.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	26  
Old 06-12-2003, 06:51 PM
nightrider646

THE FIRST ARF EVER don't know what it was but whatever it was it came up with a whole new way to get people into our hobby. my first plane was an arf and if i had to build a plane from a kit wishout knowing anything about flying or building i porabably wouldn't have gotten into the hobby. that definatly was the most important model EVER!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2003, 10:04 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE?-WELL IT IS OF COURSE THE ONE THAT HAS NEVER BEEN SCREWED INTO THE GROUND AND STILL IS FLYING-MORE THAN LIKELY THE ONE YOU WILL FLY ON YOUR NEXT OUTING-