Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

R/C robot contests, any one elses school have this type?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

R/C robot contests, any one elses school have this type?

Old 07-11-2003, 03:25 AM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C robot contests, any one elses school have this type?

At our school every year we have a contest we go to. Our school gets a radio set, "ground waves", and a box of parts, any parts at random, a printer, wood, and some plastic, PVC, thats it. Its really neat what we come up with.

we get stuff like fly swatters, bike tire lubes, screen, medical tubing, a bunch of screws and bolts, stuff like that, and its tuned into a "most of the time" working robot!!

As part of the contest we are required to take pics of all the construction, make a 24 page book, get sponsors, and try to get other schools in to this.

We Get 6 weeks to build a Robot. The only time we get to work on the robot is after school. time betweem 4 --- 10.The robot is also shown infront of the school board. Then go to contest, my first year we got close to state, not to close.
2nd year, we got 4 place, almost to state, 1 place away.
3rd year, have no idea, I droped from it.--but they got a horrible spot.

I was wondering if any other schools in the country have these same contests?? Its neat to watch these schools build robots ,all looking differ, some very neat, differ, things id never thought of due to the complexity, plus our school isnt a school for robotics,lol.Some of the Ideas these other kids come up with are very good, VERY VERY good. Im not sure if its the state of texas doing this , or is it national.

I know some one is going to ask why I dropped from Robot at school. So ill tell ya the short story, really kinda funny. to bad its the end for me.

Im not bragging, but I know more about R/C and building things than anyone on the team, im the only person into R/C anything.She is always trying to find a student with a CAD program, i got that. so basicly a perfect person for the job.

NOT ANY MORE, NOT THIS YEAR.

Anyways, the begining of the year went good, but i found as time went along all teh newbees shoved the experianced people away, like me, and a few friends. they dropped right away.
The sponsor wanted to make sure i wasnt going to drop, but so I wuldnt she said to build your own robot, the people that dropped came back and helped, this was 2 weeks into the project, in the first day our robot was shaped up, almost done.

The other team complained about us, ect and the teacher decided to tell us to stop building it. So once agian, my friends dropped agian, i stayed to help, but just got shoved around and told my ideas wouldnt work. The teacher tried to keepo me in but she didnt understand.

lets say that the other teams robot fell apart at the contest, litterally.

thanks for looking
D.R.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:54 AM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

My High School (I've been out for 10 years....dam now I feel old...) used to have a robotics club, in which they would compete with other schools. Build a robot that could pick up basketballs and carry em to the other side of the Gym to a hoop. Timed event. Wish I got involved with it when I was there...
Old 07-11-2003, 01:49 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

*Crash*Johnson*
Thats cool. Our robots wernt big renought to carry a basket ball. they HAD to fit in a 24 X 24 X 24 inch box. As soon as the round began the robot could unfold to be as big as ya like. They were designed to carry tennis balls, 6-7 inch PVC that looked like rockets, run on a railing 5 foot off the ground and pick 1 X 36 inch PVC poles and move them across the area. We had to come up with stragtys

In one, we had a a 4 foot wall in the middle of the court, we couldnt see over it. It was up to a spotter on the other side that would direct by hand moveents, no yelling permitted. Part of our missin was to pull switchs 3 points a piece, and pick up eraser, 5 point a piece i think. We found that instead of going on the other side of the way, we stay on our side and keep the other teems from pulling thier levers. It was alot of fun . I made the most points at 11. I was called the cleanup crew buy the teacher, I only think it was because of my R/C experiance with R/C planes. After that I never made that many point, every time i drove somthing in the robot broke, lol. Just my luck, but my fellow drivers did a good job. once particular, he drove real smooth. did a good job.