Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Another accident...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 03:19 PM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another accident...

Another accident. Although it had a somewhat "happy" ending, it could have been worse. Not to preach, but, you NEVER know what is going to happen, so please, don't fly alone!

Arm nearly severed

Rog
Old 07-12-2003, 04:20 PM
h8w8n

Default Flying alone?

He wasn't alone. In fact, four other condor members went to his aid and applyed the tournecate(sp). and called 911. That article doesn't give them much credit but they actually kept him going untill the paramedics arrived. He would have bled out without that tournicate(sp).
Old 07-12-2003, 04:23 PM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear - I know he wasn't alone. Had he been, it's very, very possible that he wouldn't have survived. That's the point I was trying to make...

R
Old 07-12-2003, 05:11 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rcav8or,
Just returned from my normal Saturday weekend flight at the field, no one else there. Got in an hours worth of flying, touch and goes etc.

If I was to wait I really wouldn't fly except for club nights! There are only 20 people in my club. I always take my cell phone however!
John
Old 07-12-2003, 05:42 PM
Greyhawk

Default Re: Another accident...

Originally posted by rcav8or
...so please, don't fly alone!
Roger, you are correct.

Flying alone (as apparently was not the case here) is probably not the smartest activity in the world. But does that mean that I should never, ever:

Use my table saw alone in my workshop?
Ride my motorcycle (or bicycle) alone on a country road?
Chop wood alone?
eat alone (might choke)?
jog alone (heart attack)?

The list could go on and on -- and my intent is not to mock your assertion that flying alone is dangerous. Only to comment that lots of behavior is dangerous whether alone or with others.

I fly alone frequently because I'm often the only one who shows at the field. Yes, I'm more careful when I'm alone...think things through a little more...slow down, etc. It's peaceful on the field with no one else there. I like it and am willing to take the "risk."

After all, statistics would show that the real danger lies in the drive to the flying field.

John
Old 07-12-2003, 06:53 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

I agree with Greyhawk, MANY ways one can get injured. I seriously doubt my 9x6 trainer prop could take off my arm, even with the OS .25 running WOT. A finger on the other hand....

If you carry a cellphone, you really aren't alone.

I'm gonna buy an ambulance and drive that to the flying field just in case...
Old 07-12-2003, 06:56 PM
h8w8n

I was told at the field after it happened that he started a giant scale gas powered something by himself and without it being tethered.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:16 PM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

Does anyone know how he is recooperating? Has he lost all feeling and motion, or is it there. Get well Diaz. I wonder what percentage of injuries in R/C comes from the "spinning Prop". It seems like most of them if not all of them.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:38 PM
vtol_guy

hope the guy has a speedy recovery
Old 07-12-2003, 10:32 PM
spooner

being new to the hobby (7months),i have never flown with out some one being with me... if there is nobody at the feild than its just me and my son, he knows how to call "911" and where we fly at...i have seen three or four prop into hand insidents. and two of them had to be driven to the hospital...they all were from .40 size motors and props...so thats why i never fly with out some one there.....spooner
Old 07-13-2003, 01:40 AM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

I'm also very careful when I'm by myself, but... I've seen more finger vs. prop fights from someone being distracted in the back ground, than just a slip!

It has happened to me! I was tuning my ST45 with a 4 blade APC on a spitfire. Someone said "Oh s$%t dead stick!" I looked!! Well I ended up with 7 little peaces string in my 4th digit, on the right hand! I could write a book on the stuff that I have either done to my self, or what other's have done.

Later, Scott
Old 07-13-2003, 02:45 AM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

Default 3-4 Incidents in 7 mos.

Originally posted by justgotr
being new to the hobby (7months),i have never flown with out some one being with me... if there is nobody at the feild than its just me and my son, he knows how to call "911" and where we fly at...i have seen three or four prop into hand insidents. and two of them had to be driven to the hospital...they all were from .40 size motors and props...so thats why i never fly with out some one there.....spooner
WOW, 3-4 incidents in 7 months, that is just scary. Our field has had 1 incident this year and that came from someone hand starting a prop only after it was advised that they use a chicken stick or glove. 20 stitches in 4 digits, well at least he is flying again already.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:16 AM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

And my Dad and friends wonder why i never fly alone.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:28 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sometimes fly alone, but as it was mentioned, I too am very careful when starting up, especially at my "advanced age" plus two tours in the Marines, one war, a few slop chute brawls, a car wreck, raising 3 daughters, driving through Atlanta and Houston, a heart problem, a plane crash and sticking my hand into a running black prop! I've made it this far and still have all my "parts", some a little scarred and bent, but all in working order. And I intend to keep 'em that way. But aside from the prop accidents, there is one more aspect to those "don't fly alone" warnings. If you're flying alone and your plane goes down you have to go get it. Before you start out put your radio and field box away in your vehicle and lock it up. It's been reported a few times that a pilot returned with his plane to find all his stuff gone, disappeared! That'll really cut into your day's enjoyment. Get well soon Diaz, someone up there was watching out for you.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:29 PM
tripacer

Default raising 3 daughters

LOL... :drowning:

Jim Still LOL...
Old 07-13-2003, 03:18 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Grampaw, I think the scariest of all your adventures had to be raising 3 daughters, I know, I've done it too. It was me and 4 women in the house, even the dog is female. Do you know what thats like when its that time of the month? I'd rather face a spinning prop. And my kids ask me what happened to all my hair.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:17 AM
Grampaw

rc_sport, yes I know exactly what you mean, in fact I could have written your last post word for word, even down to the hair question! This is scary.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:07 PM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We had one at our field this weekend too. A newer member brought out two friends, one member and one non. They are very careless and have been talked to many times about flying over the pitts, houses and many other rules they have broken. One is new and won't accept help from what I have heard. From what has been told tom me, one started the plane on the ground by himself and let it go, then tipped the radio over and it went to full throttle. Ran up his leg. From what I hear he will be out of work for at least a couple weeks. Could have been worse.

I am not huge on rules, but the ones there are there for a reason and are to be followed. Safety is common sence. If you have a plane running and you are in front of it, don't take your hand off of it for any reason or teather it. Personally, I won't use a teather because I don't trust them. I have someone hold it or I don't start it.

One of my friends likes to fly alone. He told me last night he won't do it any more after this one.

Its not a safe hobby if you don't have the right attitude. Keep it safe and use your head. Its the only way to fly.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:50 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Originally posted by justgotr
It's REAL important that someone from your club take the time and effort to notify your local fire dept and ambulance companies as to how to find your field IN ADVANCE. Be smart - invite them to the next event at your field and feed them - they won't forget you. Many flying fields in our area are neatly hidden behind corn this time of year. The minutes you save getting help can be priceless.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:21 PM
spooner

Teachu2 hey thats a great idea. i will bring it up at our next club meeting...i just took it for granite(sp) that they should know where to go, seeing its a city owned field....who knows maybe get some new members.... thanks spooner
Old 07-15-2003, 12:55 AM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

I thought I'd add a certain person that will remain unnamed started a 40% plane by straddling the wing and flipping the prop through with his left hand while holding the TX with his right, no tethers, no helpers.

Luckily it was a big contest so there were others present, but that's no excuse.

That's just plain nuts.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:39 AM
Grampaw

If you fly from a club field that is out in the country or if its just a field you use with no club affiliation, find out what the GPS coordinates are and post them somewhere for all to see, it may save a life. We had a situation one afternoon not involving us or our planes, but we had to get emergency help. After calling 911 we waited for almost 20 minutes before the EMTs arrived. They told us that if they had been given the coordinates they would have gotten there sooner. Since then our coordinates are tacked to the TX Impound wall for all to see. And almost everyone totes a cell phone nowdays, so there is really no excuse not to be prepared...accidents can happen.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:45 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Posting the address of the flying field at the pits is a good idea. Also if your field is on a farm or other rural area check to see if the flying field has its own address. I had to go though the local 911 office to get an address assigned to our field. It is on a farm and the entire farm was listed under one address. Before getting our address if we called 911 and gave the old address I am sure the medics would have responded to the house instead of the flying field unless someone took the time to give directions. It is much easier and faster if you can give the address and not have to worry with the directions.

Eric
Old 07-15-2003, 03:55 AM
Dago Red

lucky for us our club isnt but 5 minutes away from the hospital.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:01 AM
Grampaw

You made a good point depfife, about the dual address listing. Our club is on private property, and we share the address with the owner, and I just didn't realize that others may be situated away from the main address, or entry may be via another road. It may be a good idea for all of us to contact our local EMT and get their feed back on how to help them find us quicker. By that I mean get the info they will need, and post it at the field for all to see.