Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flying Models magazine info wanted.

Hi y'all

I'm from the UK and recently (last November) subscribed to Flying Models magazine supplied by Carstens Publications Inc of Newton, NJ. However I've only had one issue since November and no matter how many emails I send out to the company, I get no replies.

Does anyone in the US know if this company has folded or is going into receivership/liquidation? Or has anyone got any ideas how I might get my subscription delivered or a refund from the company.

I've tried looking on the Sussex County Chamber of Commerce website and the Better Business Bureau website but Carstens Publications aren't listed. In fact they don't seem to be listed anywhere very much. Is there a US equivalent of the UK's Trading Standards organisation which protects the consumer in situations like this?

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

LG 2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Flying Models magazine info wanted.

Try their web site: www.flyingmodels.com or email at carstens@carstens-publications.com
    Lynn Good is their customer service contact. I have been getting monthly issues right up through current month.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rodney,
    The link www.flyingmodels.com did not work for me.
    However, a Google search gave me www.flying-models.com.
    Thanks for the help,
    KW_Counter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Rodney

Thanks for the info, but... I have already emailed Lynn, Henry Carstens, and all the production editors and assistants plus also Nancy the subscriptions contact.  No one replies and no magazines have arrived.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello LG 2. This is Chris Susicke, Associate Editor of Flying Models magazine. I am sorry to hear about your situation, and the apparent lack of communication from Carstens. It is for this reason that the Flying Models staff has begun to field these issues personally. Please e-mail your problem directly to Editor Frank Fanelli at Frankf@flying-models.com and Maureenf@flying-models.com and we will take care of this immediately. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    When you stare into the abyss, sometimes the abyss stares right back into you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Chris

Thanks for the post but....  I have in the last few days already sent an email to Frank Fanelli and to Maureen.  Still no reply except that I had an automated message telling me that Maureens email address no longer exists.

I have in fact emailed my subscription request to every email listed on your website including most of the model train related addresses, just in the hope that somebody might just say, "hey I had an email for your department today to do with a Flying Models subscription.  Lets sort that problem out!".  But still nothing; no replies and no magazines!  I've sent emails ten at a time just so that someone might notice.  Its been nearly three months since I put my order in and I don't relish the prospect of having to go through chasing up your company every month to get my current issue delivered.

Sorry that this is a bit of a rant but frankly I've just had it with chasing your company up.  Don't you work in the office next to Franks.  Couldn't you just ask him to look into it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LG 2: Frank actually brought this to my attention, and to reply since I frequent RCU for my own modeling enjoyment. For whatever reason, Maureen and Frank did not receive any e-mail regarding this, because when we do we follow up immediately. We were only in the office briefly today as we had to get to the WRAM show to set up our booth. Again, I am sorry for your difficulty and I understand your frustration. I just ask that you be a little more patient and we WILL get this sorted out for you as soon as humanly possible.

I have no idea why Maureen's e-mail address would be down unless something funky is going on that I do not know of. Please also send your complaint to me at ChrisS@flying-models.com and I will also insure that you are taken care of. Again, my apologies. -Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Chris

There is only one possible explanation why my emails aren't getting through to ANYONE in your company and that is that there is an block on my email address.

If what you're saying is true, that you didn't receive my email i.e. the same letter I sent to Frank Fanelli a couple of days ago then it will be pointless me sending another email to the your email address as you will not get it.

I've even emailed through the direct link on your website.  Isn't your company getting those emails either?  Carstens has about 15 email addresses and I've pretty much tried them all with no replies.

I'm pretty astounded that a publishing house is conducting the business of resolving this issue (supposedly) through a public forum.  Is this the only medium with which to get in contact with Carstens Publications Inc.  Ludicrous!

I've yet again sent an email with all the details to Frank Fanelli and will send yet another copy to your email address.

You ask that I be more patient.  I think that three months since I placed the order is being pretty patient...don't you?!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you. On Monday I will have gotten your e-mail, and will get right on taking care of the problem for you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

At last I have gotten through to someone who has actually done something about my magazine problem.  I have just received the last two issues of Flying Models and hopefully this will be the end of this communications debacle with Carstens Publications.

I would like to thank Chris Susicke for sorting the delivery of my magazine subscription.  Here's hoping the April issue arrives without as much trouble.

'Bite hard and don't let go!'

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks LG 2, and again, I apologize for this delay. Please enjoy my review of the Seagull Gee Bee Z in the March issue!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maybe I will get lucky and someone from Carstens will read this because emails seem to have no effect. I ordered and paid for a plan for a Magnum 80 on Nov 21 2009 and haven't got it yet - 3 months seems more than excessive. Order No is 2098 - 0512 - 3193. John Dean

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ripon: I will look into this as soon as I am back in the office. We are in for some bad weather and may not be there tomorrow. -Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sessholvlaru

I'd be very grateful if you could sort out my subscription problem too. I live in Devon, England and last November, my daughter who lives in Tampa, Florida, ordered me a subscription to Flying Models as a Christmas present. To date, despite receiving through the mail a card from Flying Models notifying me that the gift subscription had been "thoughtfully given to you by the Freemans" I have not had any issues delivered.

Two weeks ago I telephoned the Cartsens Publications office on 001 973 383 3355 to ask when I might begin to receive the magazine, and the lady who answered explained that deliveries should have started with the February issue, which should have arrived. She said that she would chase up the subsription, and in the meantime would put a complementary copy of the February issue in the mail to me, and that I would also receive my "normal" February issue, which would be the first subscription issue.

Regrettably neither February magazine has arrived.

If it proves impossible for my subscription to start, then I shall have to advise my daughter to get her money back.

Hope that you can help.

Gordon Whitehead

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I assume the bad weather has cleared by now so any news on my plan?
    John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finally had enough of NOT receiving a copy of Flying Models magazine and cancelled my subscription. 

Today I received the princely sum of £19 ($28) which works out to nearly $22 for three issues of the magazine, whereas it should have been just over $12.  I'd originally paid $50 for an international subscription.  Frankly I'm not impressed and I'll never get caught again by a US company.