Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Flying Scale- To Soon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 01:00 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flying Scale- To Soon?

Well today i saw a nice GSP Corsair bite the big one. The man received the plane last December as a Christmas gift from the Mrs.
I'm sure she means well. Now we had a couple of those planes out also every week and I also fly one. he is a nice man who is primarily a .40ish size sport pilot and average skill at most. He owns a Cub but most of his stuff is sticks or whatever.
*We told him over and over he is not ready. The smart thing he did do was have somebody else "maiden" the plane and trim it out last week. Well some people get on a buddy box the first few times but nooooooooooooo. He took off a bit squirly and strighten out good. We thought he was gonna make it. Pulled up too soon, wobbled, and stalled and cartwheeled righ into the garbage can.
So for those who watch who are still into sport planes, i told to get a .40size scale for the first time around. :stupid:
Old 07-14-2003, 11:56 AM
SDR-Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That seems to happen a lot in our sport.

We have a new member in our club that wants to learn how to fly. So he’s at the field yesterday watching me flying my SPAD doing harriers, hovering, basically I’m doing most of the flying behind the power curve. When I land he’s asking me all kinds of questions about the plane I finally start to catch on that he’s not just being inquisitive, he wants one for a trainer, because he “likes how slow it fly’s”. I’m trying to tell him that flying that slow takes some quick action on the sticks and that it’s definitely not a plane for a beginner.

I’d bet he’s already down loaded the information and got his hands on some coroplast.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:55 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get used to it. Happens a lot. Seems like a lot of newbies consider themselves to be experts. We have a few at the field that have said they were experts to many people. The only problem is that they keep bringing out trainers, and can't seem to keep them in the air. Maybe it is expert in crashing. Who knows. I don't think they have ever taken a plane home in one piece. I hear yesterday one of them cut his leg up bad enough to end up in the hosp and will be out for at least 2 weeks from work. I have seen others dump $1500 airplanes in and build another and dump it as well. You gotta walk before you can run.