Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What does your club do to raise money?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What does your club do to raise money?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 02:42 PM
EkRr
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does your club do to raise money?

Besides collecting dues, what other things do your clubs do to raise money? What have you had the most success with?

Thanks
Erick
Old 04-04-2002, 04:43 PM
djlyon

Fun Flys and float flys And rent the field to film producers like Power rangers
Old 04-04-2002, 05:00 PM
iflyrc24
My Feedback: (5)

Our club hosts the Heart Of Ohio Jet Scramble a War Bird fly in and a Big Bird fly in

DEG
Old 04-04-2002, 05:51 PM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

50/50 raffles at meetings and picnics. Pattern and Heli contest with a raffles of various types.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:01 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

My club also does 50/50 raffles at meetings. It's an easy way to make a few extra bucks each month.

Mike
Old 04-04-2002, 07:10 PM
EkRr

Default Raising Money

What is a 50/50 raffle?

Has anyone done a static display at a Mall, Airport, or museum with a raffle? I was thinking of setting up a display at a mall (or any other public place) to raise awareness of the hobby, promote the club and ama and host a raffle that would hopefully raise some money. Is this a good idea?
Old 04-04-2002, 08:07 PM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In our club, The Lake Ontario Flyers in Olcott, NY, we raise money the good old fashion way, by recruiting members by offering anyone the opportunity to fly either RC airplanes or helicopters, at their convenience, not ours.

All anyone has to do is call one of our instructors and make an appointment and when there is someone at the field, there will always be a trainer ready to fly. We supply the aircraft and all equipment and for free. This is on a 7 day a week basis, btw. Just call and fly, anytime. This works wonders for bringing in and keeping new dues paying members.

Take care,
CCR
AMA# 120734
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors
Old 04-04-2002, 08:22 PM
matwing

One thing we did that's not common ; we had a large barrel and we collected all the empty soft drink cans and found a local aluminium recycler that paid us by the pound... We were able to collect enough to buy supplies to build a roofed section beside our pits for shade in no time! Best regards, Johnny Matwing
Old 04-04-2002, 09:38 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

zxxman, A 50/50 raffle is when people buy tickets, say at $1 each, and then a number is drawn. The winning number gets half (50%) of the total ticket sales.....the other half goes to the club.

My club has done static displays at a local mall, but the mall will not allow us to sell raffle tickets there. I think it would be great to be able to sell raffle tickets for a fully equiped trainer package. I think that would raise quite a few $$.

Mike
Old 04-04-2002, 09:48 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Default RAISING MONEY FOR YOUR CLUB

HELLO EXXMAN,
WE USED TO SELL HOT DOGS AT THE LOCAL HY-VEE.THAT GOT BORING AFTER A WHILE.WE LATER GOT AHOLD OF OUR LOCAL EAA CLUB AND HELPED SPONCER A FLIGHT BREAKFEST AT THE LOCAL AIRPORT. THAT GOT US ENOUGHT MONEY TO BUY A NEW RIDING LAWN MOWER.NOW FOR THE PAST TWO YEAR, WE'VE BEEN RAFFLEING OFF A ARF SIG LT-40 WITH ENGINE,RADIO ALL INSTALLED. WE CHARGE $1.00 FOR ONE TICKET AND $5.00 FOR SIX TICKETS.THE HE HANG THE PLANE AT OUR LOCAL HOBBY SHOP AND WATCH THE MONEY COME IN. WE WILL BE DRAWING THE WINNER AT OUR MALL SHOW IN TWO WEEKS.SO IF YOU WANT A RAFFLE TICKET OR TWO THERES STILL TIME TO BUY.JUST KIDDING EXXMAN.
NEDYOB
Old 04-04-2002, 09:56 PM
EkRr

Default Mall Show

Nedyob and others:

How do you setup a mall show? I have been thinking about this as well. Please let me know what steps you took to get the approval to do it with the mall, what you displayed/handed out, and what you were hoping to accomplish?

Thanks
Erick
Old 04-04-2002, 10:06 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Default HOW TO SET UP A MALL SHOW

HAY EXXMAN,
CONTRACT THE MALL MANAGER AND SEE IF THEY CAN BOOK YOU IN FOR A WEEKEND.SHOULDN'T COST ANYTHING AS LONG AS YOU DON'T SELL ANYTHING FOR PROFIT. WHEN YOU GET A DATE SET. CONTACT YOUR CLUB AND SEE WHO WANTS TO HELP OUT BY PUTTING ON THERE PLANES FOR DISPLAY.
DURING THE SHOW, HAVE A PEOPLE CHOICE AWARD WHERE THE PUBLIC VOTES ON THERE FAVORITE PLANE. THEN THE WINNER WHO GETS THE MOST VOTES AT THE END OF THE SHOW USUALLY GETS A PLAQUE.WE HAVE 1ST 2ND 3RD PLACE AWARDS.THEN THE WINNER GETS TO CD THE MALL SHOW THE NEXT YEAR.HA HA HA.
ALSO YOU MIGHT WANNA CONTACT THE LOCAL NEWS PAPER.THEY WILL POST A REPORT IN THE PUBLIC EVENS SECTION OF THE PAPER USUALLY FOR FREE. THEN HAVE THEM STOP BY THE MALL SHOW. YOU'D BE SURPRISED WHO ALL WANTS TO GET THEIR MUG SHOT ALONG WITH THERE PLANE IN THE PAPER. HOPE THIS HELPS.
NEDYOB
Old 04-05-2002, 12:56 AM
seafury_fb11

How about raffling off wives and girlfriends for the evening.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:28 AM
James Goss

zxxman

Our club does a mall show each year and this last year we built a four-star 40 during the two days and raffled it off on the last day. We had a lot of participation by the public and made a lot of contacts. Contact the AMA for their free mall show package, it is really nice. James Goss
Old 04-05-2002, 02:55 AM
Nuker

Membership, raffles, 1/2 and 1/2 raffles at each meeting and each funfly, we had some wood donated from a furniture company that let's us sell it for club profit. (they use 1/8 lite ply for inside couches and for laminating. If the grain isn't perfect it can't be used for that so we profitted from it.)

We also get lots of stuff donated by members that means we don't have to buy as many prizes. We also get $$ breaks from the local LHS's for gift certificates.

Sell Hot dogs, chips, pop, coffee and donuts at events; club paraphenalia

Whatever we can, in other words

Nuker