Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Club fuel buys

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Club fuel buys

Are any clubs doing that anymore? Airplane glow fuel is getting hard to get and the local hobbytowns are not getting restocked.
Edwin
Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 AM
KW_Counter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Club fuel buys

We have a member who buys from Morgan fuels and
resells to us with a small markup.
It can be done if you have the seed money.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 03-11-2010, 02:48 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Our club does that every year. The info is published in our newsletter, and its also brought up as a topic every meeting from the time the process starts, until all the fuel is picked up. The guy that heads it up has been doing it for several years and has his own way of going about it.. and he does save alot of people some money.. I'm not sure how much though.. the obvious there might be, the more you buy, the more you save.. but it would take dedication from one or more people that are willing to work with either the manufacturer, or your LHS and do a bulk order type of thing.. and it does take some negotiating skills too I'm sure... but its very doable.. I'm sure other clubs do it as well... no doubt.
I don't participate mainly because I don't use that much glow-fuel at all... I've still got a few gallons that I hope are good.. I hope this helps answer your question.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:46 PM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Our club has always bought their own fuel. It used to be bought in 55 gallon drums then busted up in 1 gallon containers and sold to club members for a very small profit. Since we aren't as big as we used to be, we now buy it in bulk 1 gallon cases. It's really easier to do it this way anyhow.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:51 PM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several years ago our club president coordinated a fuel buy. We are a small club and our total order was between 30 and 40 four gallon cases. We got a volume price and a 10% "club discount" so we were pretty happy. Prez put the whole thing on his credit card with the understanding everyone would pick up the fuel within a week of it being delivered. He told me a year or two later that some of the fuel sat in his garage for over 3 months before it was paid for and picked up.

This topic came up last year. None of our current members is willing/able to front the money and deal with the hassles. I guess you could try collecting the cash up front so the only hassle would be getting people to pick up their purchase but that could still leave you in the free storage business.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pay in advance is the only way we would do it.
Edwin