Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

May or may not get into planes

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

May or may not get into planes

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:30 PM
jedispork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May or may not get into planes

I'm getting back into r/c. Ihave a stampede truck that I haven't brought out in a few years. I plan to get that going and was thinking of trying out a plane.

I have a half assembled slow stick that I also bought a few years back. I lost motivation to finish when I realized there wasn't many places to fly. After doing some research I discovered that we do have a local club. They have a private field that requires a membership to use. Its a good thing that we have a club but I was hoping for a more private place where I can goof off and learn to fly without bothering the regulars. They do have a few days in the summer that are "open" and "training" days. They allow anyone to sign up and fly but the open days look like it would be a zoo and doubt Iwould get much time on the controls. It looks like a very crowded place with people coming from all over to fly there.

I also visited a local astronomy club on one of their show nights and was unimpressed. There was a horde of people and just a few scopes. It was great for showing off to the public but not a good meet for someone that is actually trying to get into the hobby. So Iguess Ihave the same concern about the local rc club on one of their show days. They don't offer enough training days and I can't go down to the field alone without becoming a member.

I'm going down in a few weeks to one of their open events to see what the vibe is like. Iwould like to finish my plane but hesitant to buy the rest of the gear because there is nowhere to fly but the field and we can use their planes for the training anyway.
I think rockets are also a lot of fun but I don't bother because we don't have a local place for them. If there is a lot of cool helpful people at the club I may get into the hobby. If not I might pick up another car to tinker with.

thanks for reading

Old 04-25-2010, 05:04 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: May or may not get into planes

Valid points, but many a stone you've left unturned.

First of all, cars and trucks can be fun. But nothing will replace the sheer terror and absolute astounding thrill of flying a gas powered (or nitro or electric) especially on final approach, one wheel missing, and a gathered crowd waiting for a show.

Clubs play an integral role inthroughout the R/C Hobby. Unlikeother powered sports, where crowds gather awaiting a crash, flyingclubs inherently look toward each members success - a succesful takeoff, followed by an even more successful landing. Becausepilots support pilots - they may not always agree, but they share a common bond and interest. Clubs provide a secure flying site - AMAChartered clubs are worth finding - and even worth fighting for. Clubs promote safe flying and practical tutoring - there's a cost involved - upkeep and mowing aren't free - and entitlements don't belong here. A good club will foster growth- you noted that inadvertantly through your comment about how busy they are.

AMA plays an equally vital role -it'sliability protection applies to airplanes, rockets, cars (trucks) and boats. Much likeGod's gracecovers thewages of sin and death, AMA protects you in the event of a crash - particularly those involving proerty damage or casualty - yes props can be a dangerous thing. So can an "out of control" car or truck screaming downa residential street.

The local astronomy club might be a startup - before deciding that your time has been wasted, you might ask "who's funding this project?" Few are those willing to pour out to the many.

As to your airplane, get r done! Plan to visit the club on several occasions and at different times through the course of a month. A good club needs somebody like you, and in turn- you need a good club. Becoming proficient requires an investment. I gaurentee you this, if you invest in the club - the club will invest in you. If the club is busy, perhaps the club has something to offer that can't be found peering at a distance.

Cool people or not, everbody deserves a chance - including you. Considering the picture, where else will you find this kind of fun?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28449.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1425084  
Old 04-26-2010, 10:47 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jedispork

I'm going down in a few weeks to one of their open events to see what the vibe is like.
Just my thoughts here but you might consider doing this part a little different. By all means consider attending any event the club schedules but instead of just going to an event, you might think about going to a couple of the clubs meetings as well. They aren't near the fun, but they are valuable in terms of what information you may be able to pick up on. During any kind of an event, people are likely to be directing more attention else where. Oh, and don't be shy about asking questions. Everyone else sitting in that meeting did!

It is, or at least was for me, a little tough to break down the gates so to speak. Some of the guys in any club have been there for years and there are always groups that like being what they are, thier own little group. On the other hand, there are usually a ton of people that are more responsive to the desires that the new guy has. Our club is like this. Some guys don't care to be bothered while the majority love teaching inbetween entertaining the new pilot with their stories. You might be surprised how many guys out there, given the respect they deserve for taking time to teach, get as much fun out of teaching as flying.

I guess the point is that you don't want to judge too quickly what outcome you walk away with. It took me 3 months of persistance to find the right instructor. Two of them actually. After 2 years in the club, I sit on the board............and look forward instead of back!

Enjoy!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 AM
jedispork

Ifound a thread for my local club and have had about 5 people offer to help me get started. I'm just waiting on some gear but very eager to get in my first flight.

thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:59 AM
playntraffic

"I have a half assembled slow stick that I also bought a few years back. I lost motivation to finish when I realized there wasn't many places to fly."

Slow stick is a good starter plane and it doesn't take much more than a parking lot to fly it. Finish putting it together and try it out. If you enjoy yourself then you may look at getting something a little larger and joining the local club.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:48 PM
jedispork

I went down to the field a few times and had fun. The problem is that the place is packed and I'm limited to weekends because of distance.  Having trouble finding a close place to fly especially living near a airport.  The lack of places to fly and the cost will be keeping me out of this hobby.

I'm back to focusing on cars. Vastly cheaper plus we have 2 tracks in town and I can bash anywhere.  More options, more time on the controller, = more fun.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:53 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

2 words,,, park flyer

You either have the airplane bug or not,,, I caught it 35 years ago
Old 05-25-2010, 12:17 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i recomend you finish your stick,,,and take it to a club so they can inspect, and perhaps fly it...then take it from there...careful , rc planes are addictive...you;ll know right away if you have caught the fever