Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

spelling and grammar check

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

spelling and grammar check

Old 04-27-2010, 09:20 AM
perreback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: spelling and grammar check

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

You can add words to it's custom dictionary.

U prolly mean "its" not "it's".
Old 04-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, you are correct.

Its is the possessive form of the neutral pronoun "it":

The Pelosi-Monster won't stop licking its lips.
It's is a contraction of "it" and "is":

It's shameful when liberals don't support Our Troops. (It is shameful, isn't it?)
Old 04-27-2010, 11:45 AM
HunkaJunk

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter

HunkaJunk,
Ever think you were a bad speller before and didn't know it
because you didn't have a spell checker?

I just switched from IE to Mozilla Firefox and it has a spell checker - I love it!
I agree, the spelling here, and other boards, is atrocious and it makes some posts hard to read.
There is no law that says you have to. If I can't understand it I move on.

By the way, when they had the spell checker few used it.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
I never had any problems spelling anything in school and college, when I was writing everything down by hand, but you're the expert.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:27 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

ORIGINAL: CottcoRC

ORIGINAL: tacx

O.K., I can't take it anymore. We need spell checker. Grammar checker would be great, but I know that is asking to much. Even a coma or a period would be nice. I read these posts and I am amazed that someone can type a whole paragraph without a comma, period, capital letter, or any of the other punctuation mark! Some of these questions could be answered easily if there were not ten different ways to interpret them.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
If yuo can raed tihs, we dno't need slepl cechk.
Bump
Old 04-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go back and read these RCU rules:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_377662/tm.htm

Bumping is not allowed.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How about people who work on something and then present it with "Wolla"? Didn't they ever learn that it's "Voila"? It's French, you know, and the "V" IS pronounced.

Spelling and grammar is supremely important to me. I make my living via the written word, and being absolutely clear is a necessity. You cannot be clear without good spelling and good grammar. My words DO get seen worldwide, so I try to take pride in what I present.

I've read fan-fiction of different kinds on the different sites and found some with incredibly bad spelling, punctuation, formatting, and so on. Whenever someone points out how bad those things are, the writer or their fans come back with something like, "If the story's good, why worry about those things?" If the story has "those things", I won't read it. Same for posts that are so badly done. If it's execrable (def. found here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/execrable ) it doesn't get read.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tacx

O.K., I can't take it anymore. We need spell checker. Grammar checker would be great, but I know that is asking to much. Even a coma or a period would be nice. I read these posts and I am amazed that someone can type a whole paragraph without a comma, period, capital letter, or any of the other punctuation mark! Some of these questions could be answered easily if there were not ten different ways to interpret them.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Are you the same guy complaining about this on the Corvette Forums?
Old 04-29-2010, 01:04 AM
perreback

ORIGINAL: Bax

How about people who work on something and then present it with ''Wolla''? Didn't they ever learn that it's ''Voila''?
Actually, it's "voilÃ*" (with a grave accent). Sorry, couldn't resist - I generally don't comment on other people's spelling, but since we're on the subject...

We all misspell from time to time. It's no big deal, really, but it is true that some people don't seem to care about spelling at all, and that can be annoying.

My pet peeves? Hanger (hangar) and Satio (Saito).
Old 05-04-2010, 01:02 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Add? Or ad?
Flyer - flier?
Irruption or eruption?
Every so often, or ever so often?
Except or accept?
Interpolate, extrapolate?
Could care less, or couldn't care less?
Broken, or busted?
Is it By and large, or by in large?
By the fact that, or in the fact that?
Libel, not liable.
Person that, person who?
Principal, or principle?
Regardless, or irregardless?
Recur, or reoccur?
Regretfully, or regrettably?
Suppose, or supposed?
There, or their, or they're?
Incidentally or incidently?
Peek, peak, or pique?

Old 05-05-2010, 10:05 PM
el-John-o

i dn no wt ur prblm is sum of uz hve a hrd time typng out all of r ltrs.

^ THAT is the most annoying thing, if you ask me, abbreviating everything, I can take the occasional IMO or what have you but my gosh, it's a FORUM! It's a time delayed written communication you can type out A R E or O U R! But otherwise, I agree, some sort of spell/grammar check (or, you know make everyone use Firefox). All caps is another thing that annoys me, it's one thing if your angry but how many times have we seen: (and, usually all caps is combined with poor spelling, grammar AND a lack of punctuation)

HI GUYS I HAVE A QUESTION I BOUGHT A NEW RADIO TODAY TO GO WITH MY NEW RC AIRPLANE THINGYU AND I HAVE THIS PROBLEM THAT EVERYTIME I START THE ENGINE THE PLANE STARTS TO ROLL FORWARD AND I HIT THE OFF SWITCH ON THE SIDE OF THE PLANE BUT THE ENGING DOESNT SHUT OFF SO I HAVE TO HOLD THE PLANE UP IN THE AIR UNTIL IT RUNS OUT OF GAS ALSO AFTERWARDS I RAN OUT OF THAT YELLOW SLIMY FUEL STUFF SO I JUST USED WEED EATER GAS AND NOW MY MOTOR WONT START AND IDK WHATS WRONG THE GUY DOWN THE STREET SAID IT WOULD WORK BUT NOW IT DOESNT THIS IS ALL TOWER HOBBIES FAULT BECAUSE THEY SOLD ME AN ENGINE WHEN THEY KNEW IT WOULDNT EVEN RUN ON REGULAR GAS.

And of course, three posts later, after someone says they should do research before proceeding with their plane, so that they don't injure themselves or others, or at the very least obliterate their investment into a pile of smoldering pieces:

YOU ARE ALL JERKS IM SORRY IM NOT AN EXPERT I CANT KNOW EVERYTHING LKSJDFLKSJD;KANWJOFMDL;KVM;IOMVLKWEMOMIREVO;MADF;B LKM$%#@$^$%^@$%^$%^$%^$%^$%@^%$#^$%#^%^&%^*u&&$%&$ &$%

Edit: As far as the dictionary arguments go, Being in the dictionary does not make it gramatically correct, there are two words I can find in the dictionary, Ain't, and pickle.

Some people will tell me "Ain't is grammatically correct it's in the dictionary" So they say, "I ain't got none of them!". So then, by the profound logic, should "I pickle got none of them" mean the same thing as "I don't have any of those?"

Just sayin'

In essence, spellcheck won't correct properly spelled but incorrectly used word. As the great philospher Ron White has said, "You cain't fix stupid"

Old 05-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Bax

ORIGINAL: perreback

ORIGINAL: Bax

How about people who work on something and then present it with ''Wolla''? Didn't they ever learn that it's ''Voila''?
Actually, it's ''voilÃ*'' (with a grave accent). Sorry, couldn't resist
Oui, mais je n'ai pas l'accent grave ici. (Or something similar.)

Old 05-06-2010, 11:50 AM
perreback

D'accord - compris.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Tjettzky

ORIGINAL: el-John-o

i dn no wt ur prblm is sum of uz hve a hrd time typng out all of r ltrs.

^ THAT is the most annoying thing, if you ask me, abbreviating everything, I can take the occasional IMO or what have you but my gosh, it's a FORUM! It's a time delayed written communication you can type out A R E or O U R! But otherwise, I agree, some sort of spell/grammar check (or, you know make everyone use Firefox). All caps is another thing that annoys me, it's one thing if your angry but how many times have we seen: (and, usually all caps is combined with poor spelling, grammar AND a lack of punctuation)

HI GUYS I HAVE A QUESTION I BOUGHT A NEW RADIO TODAY TO GO WITH MY NEW RC AIRPLANE THINGYU AND I HAVE THIS PROBLEM THAT EVERYTIME I START THE ENGINE THE PLANE STARTS TO ROLL FORWARD AND I HIT THE OFF SWITCH ON THE SIDE OF THE PLANE BUT THE ENGING DOESNT SHUT OFF SO I HAVE TO HOLD THE PLANE UP IN THE AIR UNTIL IT RUNS OUT OF GAS ALSO AFTERWARDS I RAN OUT OF THAT YELLOW SLIMY FUEL STUFF SO I JUST USED WEED EATER GAS AND NOW MY MOTOR WONT START AND IDK WHATS WRONG THE GUY DOWN THE STREET SAID IT WOULD WORK BUT NOW IT DOESNT THIS IS ALL TOWER HOBBIES FAULT BECAUSE THEY SOLD ME AN ENGINE WHEN THEY KNEW IT WOULDNT EVEN RUN ON REGULAR GAS.

And of course, three posts later, after someone says they should do research before proceeding with their plane, so that they don't injure themselves or others, or at the very least obliterate their investment into a pile of smoldering pieces:

YOU ARE ALL JERKS IM SORRY IM NOT AN EXPERT I CANT KNOW EVERYTHING LKSJDFLKSJD;KANWJOFMDL;KVM;IOMVLKWEMOMIREVO;MADF;B LKM$%#@$^$%^@$%^$%^$%^$%^$%@^%$#^$%#^%^&%^*u&&$%&$&$%

Edit: As far as the dictionary arguments go, Being in the dictionary does not make it gramatically correct, there are two words I can find in the dictionary, Ain't, and pickle.

Some people will tell me ''Ain't is grammatically correct it's in the dictionary'' So they say, ''I ain't got none of them!''. So then, by the profound logic, should ''I pickle got none of them'' mean the same thing as ''I don't have any of those?''

Just sayin'

In essence, spellcheck won't correct properly spelled but incorrectly used word. As the great philospher Ron White has said, ''You cain't fix stupid''

I completely pickle.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:47 PM
el-John-o

1. Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects.

2. Never use a preposition to end a sentence with. Winston Churchill, corrected on this error once, responded to the young man who corrected him by saying "Young man, that is the kind of impudence up with which I will not put!

3. And don't start a sentence with a conjunction.

4. It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.

5. Avoid cliches like the plague. (They're old hat.)

6. Also, always avoid annoying alliteration.

7. Be more or less specific.

8. Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary.

9. Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies endlessly over and over again

10. No sentence fragments.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:55 PM
outdoorhunting

I don't know what you just said, but I think I understand you.. Come to think of it, that's kinda scary!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:46 PM
el-John-o

I was quoting an old English teacher who gave us a long list (not just those ten) of common gramatical mistakes, and used said mistake in each line, I was always amused by it, so I figured it was a good a time as any to use it! ha.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:52 PM
SBOT

I have noticed may people don't know when to use "an" instead of "a", and are using "and" instead. The rule is very simple: Use an when the word after it starts with a vowel or vowel sound. An apple, an elephant, a table, a plane. I hope I haven't misspelled anything
Old 05-07-2010, 12:57 AM
perreback

ORIGINAL: SBOT

The rule is very simple: Use an when the word after it starts with a vowel or vowel sound.

That's specifically a vowel *sound*. That's why we write "a young man", "a university", "an hour", "an heir". And I suspect a lot of you Americans write "an herb" as well.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:40 AM
SBOT

Thank you, I couldn't think of those examples.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:55 AM
Hydroxine

I h8 wen ppl typ lyk dis! is jst lzy!

That translated from retarded chav says 'I hate when people type like this! It's just lazy!'

It's one thing that really irritates me! The occasional spelling mistake, or the occasional missing punctuation and even most abbreviations i'm fine with.

LOL, PMSL, ROFL, etc etc... All fine.

PWNED! or PWNAGE! - What is this supposed to mean?

Owned i can understand....

Missing the occasional grammer though. I really can't say anything. Because i do occasionally miss out apostrophies when i type quickly.

The English language just seems to be being poisoned by lazyness.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: perreback
That's specifically a vowel *sound*. That's why we write ''a young man'', ''a university'', ''an hour'', ''an heir''. And I suspect a lot of you Americans write ''an herb'' as well.
Does anyone know where the permission to drop the "H" sound from the beginning of a word comes from? I was raised to believe that herb was pronounced "erb" and that vehicle was pronounced "veicle." There seems to exist no rule in the English language for it. It appears to me to be a holdover from a bad lower class English accent.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Tjettzky

ORIGINAL: el-John-o

1. Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects.

2. Never use a preposition to end a sentence with. Winston Churchill, corrected on this error once, responded to the young man who corrected him by saying ''Young man, that is the kind of impudence up with which I will not put!

3. And don't start a sentence with a conjunction.

4. It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.

5. Avoid cliches like the plague. (They're old hat.)

6. Also, always avoid annoying alliteration.

7. Be more or less specific.

8. Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary.

9. Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies endlessly over and over again

10. No sentence fragments.

Don't use no double negatives.

Punctuation is also important. I think someone has used this example already but: "Let's eat, Grandma!" and "Let's eat Grandma!" Same phrase, different end result...
Old 05-07-2010, 12:43 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

"Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew."

Mark Eckman and Jerrold H. Zar
Old 05-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Bax

ORIGINAL: Hydroxine

PWNED! or PWNAGE! - What is this supposed to mean?
Popular belief is that it came from "OWNED!". However, when people are keying too rapidly, the "P" got hit instead of the "O". Eventually, it became an internet usage. Some say that pronunciation of "PWNED" is "POWNED".

Same thing happens when people type "and" instead of "an". Their minds are working several words ahead of the fingers, and the muscle memory keeps writing the "d" instead of stopping. It's become a very common mistake, and spell-checkers don't find it, and the typist is too lazy to correct it if they even notice it.

Something that really grates, other than the "its/it's" errors is where people are using "too" instead of "to". Again, either sheer ignorace or gross laziness...don't know that one.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:02 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

A big peeve of mine is the phrase " first year anniversary", or "one year anniversary". It should be "first anniversary". The word anniversary is from Latin for "turning a year". Using the word year in the same sentence as the word anniversary is a redundancy. A phrase like "two month anniversary" is just plain nonsense.

It is ironic that some of the biggest offenders of this one are journalists. These people are supposed to be professional users of language. Back in '06 I heard a reporter on the radio introduce a show about the "Hundred Year Centennial Anniversary of the San Fransisco Earthquake". Centennial was the only word needed.

[sm=what_smile.gif]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.