Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Who's from the Houston, TX area.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Who's from the Houston, TX area.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 11:10 PM
KOOL DAWG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's from the Houston, TX area.

I live in Spring and am planning on buying a plane soon but was wondering where some good areas are to practice first. I wouldn't mind joining a club and be on those feilds, but what I'm talking about is the special area you go just to hang out for a little while to get some practice in or just in freetime.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:01 AM
beepee

Kool,

I live nearby and have been doing all my flying out at Scobee Field. It is a long way away, but it is a good field, paved runway, and a nice bunch of guys. Location is out Westheimer, past Hwy 6. There are other clubs around, but nowhere anymore (that I know of), where you can just fly. Had some in the past, but they are gone now.

If you find one, let us know.

Bedford
Old 07-21-2003, 04:34 PM
JimRoss

Default Houston Club

I fly at Jetero R/C club in Huffman off Hwy 1960. It is a very nice club with a grass runway, covered shed, and lots of amenities for the fliers and spectators.
Come out and join us. We'll be glad to help with your new plane and even see about some flying lessons.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:39 PM
JimRoss

Default jetero r/c club

check out this link, it even has a map to the field.

www.jetero.rcclubs.com
Old 07-21-2003, 06:05 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Scobee field is a public field, and can be used by anybody who has a current AMA license (it's a must in oder to be able to fly). We do also have instructors that could provide free training (you will have to provide plane) by appointment.
Here is our website www.bcflyers.com
There are other clubs in the Houston area. Most of the Hobby Shops have newsletter and information from the different clubs available.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:21 PM
KOOL DAWG

Where do I have to go to get a AMA license? Does it cost anything to get it, if so how much? And does it cost anything to go to these feilds to fly or become a member, if so how much?
Old 07-21-2003, 11:26 PM
JimRoss

Default AMA

Originally posted by KOOL DAWG
Where do I have to go to get a AMA license? Does it cost anything to get it, if so how much? And does it cost anything to go to these feilds to fly or become a member, if so how much?
The AMA has a website that makes it real easy to join. Go to
www.modelaircraft.org
and the rest is self explanatory.

All clubs that I know of have a membership fee that allows you use of the field. Our club lets people come out and fly three times before getting you to join. Come and give us a look.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:20 AM
YNOT

There are more clubs in the Houston then most states have.

Jetero is a great club with fantastic people. Nice field. I recently flew a contest there and everyone was very friendly.

There is a club off Kyrkendal. Not much of a field yet. They are at a temp spot right now. Bad thing is, no shade, none, nada, its freakn hot out there.

Scobee is a public field that Tex mentioned. Open to the public with your AMA.

I am a AMA instructor and I fly at Scobee on occasion, mostly to train students, so if you need help, contact me.

If you are looking for the right plane at the right price, contact Trains & Planes on Westheimer (Sponsor Plug, sorry) they can get you hooked up with the right gear.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:28 AM
Terror Dactyl

Kool
we fly all the good stuff at Scobee, there are everthing from electrics to 42% Caps and Extras, we also have helis and turbines.

The runway wont get crowded as the field rules only allow five up at a time.

It may sound crowded but I will gladly pit our flight line agains any others, as I fly at about four fields inb the greater Houston area.

BTW Aug 9 is a Jet only fly-in and Sept 11 is a night fly and your4 more that welsome to come and spectate the jets and if your feeling lucky join in on the night flying as all it takes are glow sticks like I put on my Magic.

We also have a group of three to as many as eight that will go to lunch at one of the close resturants (six to choose from) and the only requirement is that you are wanting to talk airplane.

Also we have a couple of good instructors that will train by appointment so you dont have to waste a bunch of time waiting, if your time is limited. They have the buddy boxes for the major brandes so no problem there.

Hope to see y'all, that read this, at Scobee soon.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:40 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I'm in Houston.
I belong to Jetero and Fighter Field.
On your side there are several good cubs.
Up the road (I45) is one of my favorites. Barnstormers
It is in New Waverly. Thats a few minutes north of Conroe.
Closer to you, there is another fine club, Northwest. This is most likely the most beautiful club in all of Houston. Two crossing runways and covered pits and a float plane pond. All well back from the road.
There should be one there in Spring, but I'm not familiar with it. All of these clubs still require AMA membership.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:34 PM
KOOL DAWG

Thanx for all of your replies.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:22 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>>>>
"I live in Spring and am planning on buying a plane soon but was wondering where some good areas are to practice first. I wouldn't mind joining a club and be on those feilds, but what I'm talking about is the special area you go just to hang out for a little while to get some practice in or just in freetime."
Old 07-24-2003, 03:35 PM
KOOL DAWG

Thanks. And yes I am youth. I am only 14.