Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Some Things About the Toledo Show

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Some Things About the Toledo Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 02:01 PM
Jazzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Things About the Toledo Show

It was my first time there. Wow! All kinds of great stuff!
It wasn't hard to tell which vendors got there early enough to properly set up and the ones who got there a little late or spent too much time in the bar the night before.

I was kind of hoping to drive home with a GSP Corsair in the back of my truck. The GSP booth was terrible. I hardly saw anything on display! (Friday) Needless to say, I saved a couple hundred bucks because of poor presentation. Oh well. I have a hangar full of stuff to keep me busy all summer.

What is with people? I was brought up with courtesy towards others and paying attention to what and who is around you. Seems to me most of the people there simply didn't give a hoot about anything except themselves. Excuse me - Pardon me? The only time I heard those words being said was when I heard my own voice. (Yes, I did hear a few others say them too.)
No wonder other countries don't like Americans. We are rude and arrogant. I am pround to be an American but also ashamed of the general public's seeming lack of moral and ethic responsibility. And these people DRIVE!?

I am by no means the 'model citizen' but I still try to uphold the things my mother, (God rest her soul), taught me many, many, years ago.

Anyway, being nice and courteous towards others is contageous; just as a saying at my office puts it: "Attitude starts with one and spreads to many."

All in all, it was worth the 7+ hour round-trip drive. I just wish I had more time and MONEY!

What do you all think of it?

Jeff
Old 04-08-2002, 02:44 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GREAT!!!!!

Was there Friday and Saturday (and cheated a bit by sneeking in Sunday when the wife thought I was getting the car ready).

There used to be a joke Jazzy about a guy who died of a heart attack around 10 AM but they didn't find the body until 4 PM - when the crowd thinned out and he fell to the floor!

Friday WAS busy and yes, there was a rough crowd at times. I especially felt sorry for those in wheel chairs and/or walkers - they had a tuff time getting close to the tables....

But, THAT'S TOLEDO!!!

Jerry
Old 04-08-2002, 06:06 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default Sorry...

I was probably one of the folk that was a pushing and a shoving. Sorry about that, but then again there were many people(including myself) that just stopped randomly and gawked at something. Really makes it difficult to get anywhere and stuff was selling out fast on Friday.

I've attended many trade shows including Comdex (World's largest trade show) three times. Quite honestly, when you cram that many people into a small space with tons of cool stuff to look at, pushing and shoving will occur. I didn't think Toledo was any better or worse than any other trade show I've been to... OK, it was much better becasue it delt with planes... but you know what I mean.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:32 PM
paero-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Default Toledo

As a vendor @ Toledo I feel sorry for all that attended on Friday and Saturday. At least I had a booth to stay in and didn't have to deal with the full force of the crowd(except for a pit stop or two).

On some items I took double the inventory than last year and still sold out on Friday. But all in all it was a good show and if it wouldn't be for all you guys (and gals) it would be nothing.

Thanks to all that attended.
Old 04-08-2002, 04:09 PM
Joss Stick
My Feedback: (1)

This was my first year too. I went Friday and part of Saturday and can't think of a reason to go back in the next 5 years. The next time I go it will be for a little while on Saturday afternoon and then the auction. I bought some small items. And I agree that the display presented by Giant Scale Plane wasn't very good. Mostly boxes.

I said excuse me and pardon me until I was tired of saying it. Especially when the other person just kept on going. I wasn't impressed with the city of Toledo either.

It doesn't sound like it but I had a great time. I'd never been to Toledo, seen Lake Erie, or been to Michigan and got to do it all. When I got back home we had gone 907 miles round trip. I'll go again, but not for awhile.
Old 04-08-2002, 04:30 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have made the trek up there for a few years, and absolutely love to look at all of the great planes on exhibit. This year there just did not seem to be as much enthusiasm as in previous years. With the exception of a few of the scale military models and jets, there were not the usual fare of nice airplanes. The booths were busy as usual, and as was previously stated, lots of pushing and shoving, and people stopping right in the middle of the walkway with no regard for those behind them, no wonder so many people were getting run over. The swap shop was a dissapointment as well. Maybe I was just having a bad day, but it did not seem to be as "fun" as it usually is. Did meet a few nice guys outside sitting at the tables. Good conversation really made up for the 1200 mile round trip.
Tommy
Old 04-08-2002, 05:18 PM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Default My first time as well.............

Not my last, but not again for a bit.....

It was just a three hour drive for me. I bought a bunch of cool little stuff, but not enough to save any money. You really need to be looking for a show special on kits, ARFS, or planes to save any money. I did enjoy meeting a few people. I got a chance to talk to Dave Patrick, Bruce Tharpe, Jason Shulman, Frank Noll, Dick Pettit, and the guy from Airwild (sorry, don't remember his name). Also talked at lenght with Carden, Great Planes, and RCS engines. There were WAY too many people for that small building. I thought I'd go up Friday because the crowd wouldn't be so big and I heard that vendors tend to sell out of stuff early.....but man. The place was really too small. As others have stated the swap meet was not worth going to. I truely can not see spending more that 4 hours or so at this event. I didn't attend the auction, so I can't tell you anythiong about that . All in all, it was worth the drive for me. I would not however drive more than 5 hours one way to attend this. Unless of course you are wanting to make a big purchase, face to face with Carden, Aeroworks, etc........

Gems of the show (IMHO):

Balsa USA selling 4 OZ of their awesome CA for $10
Gettign to see/hold/discuss the new DA 50
Getting to talk with Dave Patrick about the new Edge 540 (and seeing it as well (I have pictures coming!))
Looking at the new Yellow 1.20 size Edge and G-300. (The g-300 looks AWESOME! - Didn't like the Edge as much)
Talking to Carden about the new 35 % Edge (Does it get much better than this????)
Talking a good look at the ZDZ 80. This is my next motor. H9 Cap!
Looking at the new GP Patty Wagstaff Extra. This is a pretty plane.
Looking at the great looking ARF's that Creek Hobbies had on display. The Katan ruled.....
Talking to Aeroworks and their new Katana. The year of the Katana ARF???????
Getting to see Stream 50 up close and feeling really glad that I DIDN"T order one already. (Not as nice as I thought)

Pug
Old 04-08-2002, 06:22 PM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Default Well - I had fun!

This was my fourth year. I really enjoyed it again this year. It was the first time I went all three days. I can't begin to list all of the stuff I bought. It seemed like everytime I turned around - something else was catching my eye.

My favorite purchase was the indoor helicopter sold by Creek Hobbies. I really want the twin bladed one MRC was demoing, but it won't be out until September (That's September RC time - March '03 for the rest of us!!! )

It is always crowded in the morning and mid afternoon. It clears out each day about 4:00 and you can really spend some time looking. Sunday is thin too. Parking stunk on Friday, but I expected that with the new ball park right next door.

The swap meet has dwindled over the years. Lots of high prices and no real bargins - UNTIL - late on Saturday. I always get some great deals from people who are tired and just don't want to take the stuff back home. I got a great deal on a HLG this year!

The auction was a blast!!! I always have fun at it. I did not win any of the auctions, but the guy I went with bought THREE giant scale planes. We drove a Ford Explorer and he bought a 35% Carden Extra, a 25% Midwest 202 and a 80" Midwest Cap 232!!! Of course - the same comment came up as in years past - "How are we getting all of this stuff home????" That also curtailed my bidding - which in my case is a good thing!!! Lucky for us, we had some friends with a truck who could take one of the planes!!! My friend has also agreed to seek counseling on his obvious addiction!

It was great seeing old friends and making a few new ones! Next year? - OH YEA! I'll be back! What can I say - I'm an RC Junkie!
Old 04-08-2002, 08:33 PM
phughes

Default Toledo Show

First, this was my first trip to Toledo, thus gage your opinions on that information.

I have been attending the WRAM show for years, as well as the large swap meet in Lebanon PA. For thoes of you that thought Toledo was packed think again . . . I was just telling a friend last evening that the shows isles are so much wider than WRAM, and if patient you can see and do so much more. (Yes, I was there all day on Saturday).

I liked that the show planes were in the center of the show, and that you could see them up close (trusting owners!). I also liked the light comfortable atmosphere (in comparison to the other shows that I attend). The swap area was a bit congested, and although I did not find much, I got a great deal on some hot socks from a gentleman that were a great buy!

I think thoes of you who will not go back are missing a big part of the show . . .fellowship??? Going to a show where so many share your interest, and getting to talk with the manufactures face to face is a big part of the experience. The crowds make the show exciting . . .surly you can not think that these manufactures are coming to a show like this for a small crowd? The numbers have to be huge the make this type of event successful.

Although I did not purchase much I loved the following (keep in mind I am a sport flyer . . .but I do fly several large Ohio R/C, and Lanier big scale airplanes):

Access Panels (I think that is the company name) just awsome . . .but then again I am anal and these types of parts fit my idea of cool

Vertical RC had a feather lite electric bakyard flyer (verticalrc.com) that was so cool . . .I will be ordering one of these for the evenings after work that I will be able to fly in the backyard.

Just R/C Planes has a new Sheet cutting board/ tool . . .I have been using their Miter cutter for two years now and I have to get one of the new tools.

There was some one selling a monokote gripping tool that I think I will invest in as well

The funning thing about all of these items is that most hobby shops will never bring these things into the store (nor do I expect them to) but I would never had known about them if I had not gone to the show.

Two things did dissapoint me (not a big deal though) Yes there were a few booths (the Giant scale Planes booth being one of them ) that needed some help. I think the Weak Signals guys should have insisted on the boxes being placed in the back portion of the booth and the planes be brought out of the boxes and displayed . . .his heli parts display was great . . . and very professional though.

The Monokote seminar that I attended was held in a room that was to small, and the content was not well prepared . . .I went to a seminar at WRAM a few years back and Faye (last name?) put an a very well presented demonstration . . .Preparation, application followed by special techniques, then a questions section. Not that I did not appreciate the time . . .it just could have been a little more organized.

All in all I will try to make this a yearly trip . . .I just hope that US Airways does not get me in on Saturday Morning (2:00am) next year.

Again . . .keep in mind these shows are more than just "big hobby selling shows"

PBH
Old 04-08-2002, 10:16 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Want to hear a best kept secret about attending the place comfortably? -SUNDAY !! I didn't go, but can tell you that I heard from a vendor that was set up there, that the place was absolutelly, down right, totally "DEAD" on Sunday. Perhaps you folks complaining of crowds and congestion, should consider playing hookey from work on a Monday so you can go attend there Sunday, instead of being on the road heading home Saturday night.

As for my experience in just trying to check out the show before hand to see when it opened: For the life of me, I could find no mention of it at all in any of the major RC publications! But I could find mention of every little show in Smallville, Ks to Hoopdeedo, KY, in every magazine classified section. Bbut no mention of this Toledo Show. Boy was that some dismal planning on the part of the promoters or what!
Old 04-08-2002, 11:32 PM
Treeseeker
My Feedback: (19)

Oh yes was that place crazy on Saturday!! It was my first time and I will only go again on a Sunday. All the pushing and bumping. After a few hours of this and I was not the same friendly guy as when I got there. O' and I love it when you guys have some serious nassty gas...and decide to bust as_ and people look at me like I did it. You know who you are! But, besides all the pushing I had fun. I took my girlfriend and she was offered a NIB G.P. Pitts for $350. The same guy told me $385 earlier. I guess it's the power of being a girl.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:09 AM
Hubb

This was my first year for attending the show the same as many of you. I did not like the small confines of the hall one bit. I was there on saturday about 10am - left at 1:00pm. not worth it for a 4 1/2 hour drive. I missed meeting up with a lot of my freinds - how could you find anybody there??. and if you did see them across the room, you couldnt get to them !!

ok, ok. it wasnt all that bad. there were some really professional displays. Horizon had an impressive display with all the major guys there to answer questions, aeroworks display was great (katana ruled), as well as carden, GP, 3W, and troy built models with the new 42% 260 fuse on display.

I just wont go back anytime soon. or unless it is moved to an area with more space. just my opinion

Hubb
Old 04-09-2002, 01:24 AM
easy2fly
My Feedback: (3)

im glad to hear that most of you had a good time. We cant do anything about the big crowds. The seagate center is the biggest convention hall in the city. I was there from wednesday (setting up) to sunday. I agree that this year more people were there on friday than the years before. Saturday ....well..... whos hand was that?.....oh sorry........excuse me........ Sunday was very cool and i liked being able to move. Did any of you guys see the viking ship with all the moving paddles.? that was cool. I was working on friday and saturday. I was the 14 yr old that looked like a business man in my suit. It was cool lifting the full scale bd-5b onto the display table (with a lift, im not that strong) The auction was kinda blah. I met a few of you guys too. that was cool. i was working in the auction. Did you see me? i was wearing a white long sleeved shirt( i was carrying the models out from the back).
Jeff
Old 04-09-2002, 01:32 AM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Hey Jeff I saw you.
Unfortunatly the first thing you did was put me to work covering your plane

This was my first time there. I was an exhibitor so I didn't get to walk around much on Friday or Saturday unless it was in the hour before the show opened.

We were very busy in the booth all day on Friday. Friday is the serious shopping day. Saturday is the "Just looking" day. I was there Sunday just in the morning and it was dead as can be.

I thoroughly enjoyed going to the show, I got what I wanted, but I do agree that it could be at a bigger venue, but unfortunatly Toledo doesn't have a bigger venue.

Later

--Paul
Old 04-09-2002, 02:13 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guys who posted above about sunday being dead have told the secret! If you don't like crowds and want a good deal on stuff because the vendors would likely rather sell their stuff then truck it all home go Sunday...no pushing, no shoving...no crowds...very thin I would say. You get the run of the place.

On the other hand you don't get all the "excitement" that the big crowd gives buzzing about but it all depends upon what your prefernce is.
Old 04-09-2002, 02:31 AM
dbrcer

I would just like to thank all of you for coming to the Toledo show and I'm sure I can speak for others when I say that the new ball park sure does put a damper on the parking. I do hope though,that you all had a good time and will come see us again next year.
Old 04-09-2002, 03:40 AM
Jazzy

Default Wow!

I had no idea my little tirade would elicit so many responses.

No, Toledo wasn't BAD. It could have been BETTER though.
One of the reasons I went on friday was to get ahold of some Wildcat fuel before it was all gone.
A bunch of us drove up in a couple vehicles. After getting inside do you think we could see let alone find any of our buds? Nope. About every three hours we would all meet at some predetermined place. Worked great.
I think I spent almost as much time patiently waiting for people to move on as I did inspecting and fondling some of those great products. (Not so great.)
I suppose the general mood at the show was a reflection of the economy up here in the north eastern states. Not so good.
I'm a glutton for punnishment so I'll probably go again next year!

Hey Treeseeker, I may have been one of those releasing noxious fumes. Too many hardboiled eggs, too much beef jerky, and four kielbassa sandwiches the day before add up to dis'ass'ter Oh, I almost forgot about the ham... Just kidding!
Old 04-09-2002, 11:21 AM
Joss Stick

Default Treeseeker

sorry. It was so exciting I couldn't help it!! But as my grandma always said, there's more room on the outside than there is in!

One other thing that came to mind ... the $7 to get in was a bit steep. I think it was advertised a little lower. I saw signs up apologizing for the misprint in the ads.

It was nice and I saw a lot ... got rid of some gas and saw a few things I'd never seen before. Don't know if I mentioned it or not in my first post but round trip was 907 miles, including some sight seeing on Saturday.
Old 04-12-2002, 06:17 AM
matlok

Default Awesome! Can't wait to go back...

This was my first time to go to Toledo too, and I thought it was AWESOME!!! Well worth the 13 hours of driving just getting there. I must be pretty wierd b/c I didn't think it was that terribly crowded - of course it would have been nicer if less crowded, but it was about how I had imagined it. I didn't experience any of the pushing and rudeness others have talked about, either. If anything I thought most people were pretty nice.

The whole thing was just so overwhelming - I felt like a little kid in the worlds largest toy store! I got to meet Jason Shulman, Quique Somenzini, and Peter Goldsmith, so of coure that was really cool. One of my favorite parts was getting to see all the "ultra new" stuff, like the AW Katana and Extra ARF, DA's new 50, the Hangar 9 Suhkoi, etc. I think what really made the whole experience neat for me was getting to actually see all the stuff I'm used to reading about in magazines or on the Internet. I can't wait to go back next year - I'll definately have to budget a LOT more money though!
Old 04-12-2002, 12:09 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Hey PHughes,
I have been to the last two WRAM shows, last year being my first. I was so excited that I couldnt wait until this year. This year? Well... It was fun and I did buy some stuff but it seemed to be a little, well... there were several manufacturers missing for one. We decided rather than go every year, maybe every couple or three?
How does the venue in Toledo compare to the WRAM show size wise?
Old 04-12-2002, 01:26 PM
phughes

XP8103,

In posts show above people felt that Toledo was tight . . .in my opinion they must not have seen WRAM . . .there was even one comment that mentioned they though that WRAM was larger! No way. The lighting was better, isles are wider, and as an added bonus unlike WRAM the show is all on one floor (new stuff). Please do not get me wrong . . .WRAM is good, but I think that they have been losing some of the manufacturer support, and fillig the booths w/ hobby shops. There again . . .I am not complaining, just comparing. All in all I liked the Toledo venue, and will be returning. As for WRAM, I will still go, it is just different. Was it you who said they purchased the Wright Engineering Board? If so do you know when will they have the large board available?