Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Phoenix Az. here I come!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 09:09 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Phoenix Az. here I come!

If all goes as planned...I'm packing the truck for a move to Phoenix on Wednesday.

I'll be looking for some fly'n buddies there - so let me know where I can find some 'buds, sites, and of course local hobby shops!

It's been great living in Huntsville, Alabama, but it is time to move on to a 'different' climate.....:-)

Jerry
Old 07-21-2003, 09:11 PM
av8er50
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AZ

I am currently looking at a move to the Pheonix area for school, why are you moving??
Old 07-21-2003, 09:42 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a good question.. Not to be a smart alec but why would
you move from Al to AZ..?

Thanks,
Old 07-21-2003, 09:47 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Why would anyone want to move from anywhere to AZ???? :stupid: I mean, nothing but snakes, lizards and Gila monsters!!!!!! Well if you must my long time friend then I guess you must so have a safe trip and arrive in one piece, oh and make sure your A/C is working!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2003, 10:32 PM
Robby

Well Art,, lets see.. I could see moving from Illinois to Az as no
more snow, less humidity, less traffic, less taxing,etc ... But to
move from Alabama to Az about the only thing different is there
is less humidity in Az than Al..
Old 07-21-2003, 11:11 PM
redbear

Default EX-Phoenixion

Having lived in Phoenix for many years a while a go I would question the less humidity, less traffic things and when its over 110 degrees it is too hot for humans even if the humidity is only 15%.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:15 PM
TERMAGATOR
My Feedback: (2)

yeh, but its a dry heat.........aint it
Old 07-22-2003, 12:38 AM
A320driver
My Feedback: (1)

You can make all the fun you like of us folks out here in the dessert, but come November when I am out still flying in shorts and a tee-shirt we will see who as the last laugh!
Lots of flying clubs in the Phoenix area, if you are going to be living up north I would recommend my own club, The Sun Valley Fliers. Great location and flying site, just got to watch the noise.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:43 AM
Robby

A320driver
Two questions...
How do you deal with the 100+ temps during summer months?

"just got to watch the noise." Please explain ..?

thanks,
Old 07-22-2003, 02:24 AM
Ed

Jerry .... You're gonna love it !

Best fields seem to be on the North side of town. Sun Valley, Cave Creek, or Superstition a little further East.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:36 AM
SDCrashmaster

Superstition is sweet. Site of the AZ Jet Ralley. Always a great event.
Beautiful country.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:48 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by GeeBeeJim
Jerry .... You're gonna love it !

Best fields seem to be on the North side of town. Sun Valley, Cave Creek, or Superstition a little further East.
Ummm, you forgot one,,, Speed World

Northwest Phx. Right next to the Drag Strip(Phx. Dragway). I think its Happy Valley RD and Grand Ave. They've got 2 newly paved LONG runways, lots of shade too,,, BYOB because there's no running water as of yet

The best Part,,, Host to some of the Best Pylon Racing West of the Rio Grand and Flying all year round,,,, Ha!

BV
Old 07-22-2003, 02:56 AM
dickj

I fly at the East Valley Aviators. 3 miles south of Baseline Rd. on Ironwood Dr. East Mesa or South Apache Junction however you want to look at it. RUnway is 800 long by 150 ft wide. Nice 100 ft. Ramada to shade you and porta john etc. Great club of 250 nice folks! Arizona is great to fly in all winter and early mornings during the hot months.

dickj
Old 07-22-2003, 02:57 AM
dickj

delete
Old 07-23-2003, 10:33 AM
doghousesmith

Jerry,
Glad you finally came to 365 day flying (well almost anyway). If you ever head down I-10 to Tucson, stop in and see me. We are located just off the freeway at Ina Road...Catalina R/C Modelers right in back of the Sports Park.
Dick Smith
Old 07-23-2003, 11:53 AM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Default Set your alarm clock....

Originally posted by Robby
A320driver
Two questions...
How do you deal with the 100+ temps during summer months?
As I understand it, you get to the flying field as the sun is peeking over the horizon (4:30 5:00 am), fly until about 8 or 9 and then go home until around early evening when the temp drops back to 95 degrees (in the shade).
Old 07-23-2003, 03:21 PM
JimRoss

Default Alabama

As a former Alabama resident for ten years, I understand completely why someone would move out of Alabama. I left some good friends there two years ago when we moved back to Texas(Home) but I do not regret moving out.
When you cross the Alabama state line heading west you may notice you clock moving ahead about 50 years. Hope this doesn't step on anyones toes, just my personal observation of ten years living there.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:26 PM
Ed

Default Re: Set your alarm clock....

Originally posted by xp8103
As I understand it, you get to the flying field as the sun is peeking over the horizon (4:30 5:00 am), fly until about 8 or 9 and then go home until around early evening when the temp drops back to 95 degrees (in the shade).
"As I understand It" ? - You understand wrong dude !
Don't mislead people like that. The man is coming out here to build a new life for himself.

Here it is mid-summer, and I typically arrive at the field about 9am, have lunch about 11, and leave for home about 1. Temps here peak at about 4pm.

Not a bad life. No snow, sleet, hurricanes, tornados, mosquitos, earthquakes, alligators, and you get to do it 52 weeks per year. Just like back in Maine ........ Yeah right.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:13 PM
mtthomps
My Feedback: (2)

I agree. I was stationed at Luke AFB for three years in Phoenix and it was the BEST place to live I had ever visited. Snowskiiing in Flagstaff is 2 hours away, camping in the mountains galore with no bugs, dry summer heat is FAR preferable to the 95% 98 degree days here in Houston. If you get tired of the summer heat, then camping in Flagstaff or Sedona at 7,000 ft + altitude in 75 degree weather and whispering tall windblown pines are waiting for you less than 2 hours away. I would move back in a HEARTBEAT if I thought I could make the same money there.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:44 PM
david a

The humidity in Phoenix has raised some in the last few years as developers started incorporating ponds and small lakes into their projects. This increase in surface water has had an affect on the humidity level.

You will get a real sense of openness when you get there and the sunsets are spectacular. Oh and one more thing, tarantulas can jump.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:34 PM
tailskid

Man, I getting excited about this move! I'll be leaving (Hopefully) on Friday PM (after work) and drive an overloaded UHaul 26' truck about 2000 miles WEST!!!!

I guess I'll have to rent a trailer just 'to move my airplane STUFF' - bet I'll never hear the end of THAT

Jerry
Old 07-24-2003, 02:39 PM
JimRoss

Default Trailer

Originally posted by tailskid
Man, I getting excited about this move! I'll be leaving (Hopefully) on Friday PM (after work) and drive an overloaded UHaul 26' truck about 2000 miles WEST!!!!

I guess I'll have to rent a trailer just 'to move my airplane STUFF' - bet I'll never hear the end of THAT

Jerry
Jerry,
Just tell her that it is no where as expensive as lets say, bass fishing. That can cost thousands and thousands of dollars and that's just for the boat. Besides that it keeps you at home at night and out of the bars.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:36 PM
daven

Default SpeedWorld !!!

I'll agree with Bill on this one.

SpeedWorld has a great facililty, and I look forward to going there every Jan/Feb for either their Winter fest race in January, or their JR Gold Cup Race in February.

Look em up.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:03 PM
Ed

Hey Jerry, stay in touch, and let us know how you settle in ?

Have you been to phoenix before, and what side of town are you settling in ? I assume that you have a job waiting for you ?
Old 07-31-2003, 12:42 AM
tailskid

Well guys and gals, I MADE IT!!! 2+ days driving a U-Haul (and pulling a trailer) took its toll on my body as I left Friday night after working till late afternoon and arrived here on Sunday night about 9 PM.

The planes took a real beating - my son's 80" Cap took a pounding (thanks to Ark. roads - I-10) and the Butterfly sustained some broken tail feathers....haven't looked at the RV-4 yet (I'm too scared to!).

Closed on the house today, so tomorrow the truth will be known!

Jerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.