Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

if it ain't broke...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 01:02 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if it ain't broke...

DON'T FIX IT!

i am afraid the good old times when there were chat rooms with friendly people is over

move over good friend - the big bucks are here!

for the price of a pizza slice, you wont' get full screen adds?

and this is for my own good?

GIMME A BREAK!

you won't sell this cr*p to me
Old 07-23-2003, 01:06 AM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

I was all for the new changes till today when I got a full page click thru ad. I musta missed that somehwere so I went back and read thru the discussion on the change over. Full page click thru's are a killer/never visit a website again for me. Sorry that's the way it is.

From the Admin
There will be full page ads here on RCU. Until you see them in action don't knock them. Imagine if you were watching your favorite tv show and a commercial came on (as they always do stopping your show) and a commercial for an RC product came on. Would you mind that much? Our full page ads will show up sporadically, won't be as annoying as you are making them out to be, AND will be based strictly on your marked interest area as you choose in your preferences. That way if you are a plane guy and don't care about boats we won't show you boat ads.

Imagine I was watching my favorite TV show and an ad came on --- well I'd probably hit the fast forward button on my DVR (digital video recorder) that cost $300 so I could skip ads.

I was willing to pay a premium to skip banners and pop-ups and that's what I had in mind. But I'm not paying to skip full page click thru ads - anyone that would use I don't want to throw money in their pockets - it's right up there with telemarketers.

Bye - sorry I didn't read the full discussion earlier. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:06 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck to you both...
Old 07-23-2003, 01:08 AM
mvigod
Banned

oh and by the way...did you guys donate to RCU to support our server and bandwidth costs since we opened the doors? If not I'm sorry you had to see a full page RC related ad....I guess the magazines are in trouble if they continue printing their full page spreads to interrupt anyone's reading.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:16 AM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

Man you guys are tough. We are talking about a few dollars a year to eliminate pop up ads. Personally I think it's downright selfish to ask mark to maintain such a busy site for free. 12 dollars a year. Thats the price of a switch. Give me a break. I say quit crying and recap all of the priceless information RCU has offered to you in the past. If this site has saved you from making 1 wrong purchase it has more than paid for itself.

Sorry guys. Listening to this whining over a few cents a day just kills me.

Mark. I'm glad to see that you are dedicating so much of your time to this site. That's why it is the #1 R/C site on the web. I don't know if I will like the new system or not but if not, it will not discourage me from participating in the same capacity that I am now.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:21 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Don't let them get to you Marc. Any change, good or bad, is usually met with resistance. I am looking forward to the new RCU. Once it is up and running give everyone a few weeks and the shock of the new look will wear off. Until then keep yourself coated with teflon!

It looked great to me.

Eric
Old 07-23-2003, 01:35 AM
RSprinkel
My Feedback: (3)

I am not replying to this thread to start a war, but am calling it like I see it.

You know I can't believe all the belly-aching going on about a few ads or paying such a small fee to keep the ads off. You guys haven't given this a chance all all I have read since it has been down is nothing but negative thoughts and opinions.

Another thing, yeah I have seen that it is alittle bit of a different layoutand the navigation is a bit different, but it is no different then coming from one R/C site and going to a brand new site that you have never been too before.

In my opinion instead of complaining about the negatives why not give Marc and the guys a break and offer suggestions and ideas, like we have done many times before.

I am not the richest person in the world, I don't work in a high class society and only have a 11th grade education, but if I can afford to be in the expensive hobby as R/C planes then I should be able to afford a few pennies a month to pay for a service without all the ads. Guys if you can't afford a few dollars a month for this site to avoid the ads and be able to learn, educate others and have a good time and even sell your goods then I think you are in the wrong hobby.

I think Marc has done a DAMN good job keeping this site up and running at all costs for us guys/gals to have a place to share our experiences, Tips, sale items and so forth and all he gets is a bunch of people belly-aching when he tries to improve what is legally his and something that he enojoys doing for all of us R/C'ers. Like the man doesn't have enough headaches as it is doing all of this and working out the bugs.

Well I think thats about all I am gonna say except lets give these guys a chance and give them suggestions/ideas instead of a bunch of negative belly-aching B.S.

Marc Great Job can't wait to see it back up, ads or no ads. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-23-2003, 01:42 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Default RSprinkel

Need not say nothing more.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:46 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Well, that's all well and good. But that fact that I choose not to deal with full page ads is also good. If todays VERY slow service and the full page ads is what I can expect, RCGroups, here I come. Free market in play (go America), if RCU can't make it on the old system, and I like the old system (NO Redirrected ads, same as a pop up), I'll go to where I like the system.

Best of luck, and I WILL wait and see, but I'm not hopeful.

Gordo
Old 07-23-2003, 02:01 AM
Johnnylightning

I don't mind the change or the ads. It'll all take time to get used to. My only real concern was the speed and I'm sure that'll be taken care of shortly. Mark, you've done an outstanding job with this baby and I trust that you can do it all over again. However, would it be asking too much to keep this old format and simply bring the changes and new options here?
Old 07-23-2003, 02:03 AM
RSprinkel

Gordon,

Simple question how do you avoid the ads that are on TV and the radio? You also pay for them too in the long run. Sheesh, I don't like the ads either but I guess you don't realize the work involved in developing a website, a database and maintaining such site with servers and all the goodies that go along with it. You probably don't realize the expenses as well either. I DO as I did a site in PHP and MySql and maintained it and it wasn't an easy task. Also don't think you will get the same info and such from other sites. Who knows they may do the same that Marc is doing now. You know Marc could do 2 other things and make this site an all Membership site to where you have to pay monthly for all, but he chose not too. Or he can just shut down and say the hell with it as alot of people really and truely don't appreciate what he has to go through on a daily basis, but he won't as this is his hobby and he wants to enjoy sharing it with others. Sure you can go wherever you want as this is the Good Ole USA, but they just may do the same down the road.

I think his fees you can pay to avoid ads is a TOTALLY small price to pay as really that is his means of paying for his equipment and his devotion to you me and all the others.

Whats really the big deal about an occasional Pop - up ad? I was on for a half hour and only saw 1 ad. I simply clicked the back button and guess where it took me. Right where I wanted to go. No Big Deal. But I guess belly-achers will be belly-achers.

Have a Nice Day
Old 07-23-2003, 02:07 AM
Buz^

opp's
Old 07-23-2003, 02:07 AM
Buz^

I doubt you'll be missed
Old 07-23-2003, 02:09 AM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Well, Iwasn't pleased about the lack of speed, but that's not uncommon to most new systems. Tuning should fix that in short order.

I was fussing to myself about the cost of $80 a year, then I realize how much time and effort goes into a huge place like this, and all the time and effort I've spent being here, and figure I can do without a 4" aluminum spinner this year... That's what is cost for the platinum membership. Pretty good deal, so long as I don't have to do that for every site on the web....

Phil in austin

P.S. I just wish I could pay my TV cable bill, and skip all those commercials, like we can here. Sigh....
Old 07-23-2003, 02:18 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

All I want to know is..was the new look just a nightmare that has gone away, or is that here to stay??

Damn, I have seen some non-user friendly looking bulletin boards, but that thing took the cake!!

Shoot, if you want some money, don't blackmail us with THAT thing, just tell me what it will cost to keep THAT thing from coming back!!
Old 07-23-2003, 02:19 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Default You GO CHUCK!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RSprinkel
[B]Gordon,

Simple question how do you avoid the ads that are on TV and the radio? You also pay for them too in the long run.

I never said any different. I figure, if there were a station that didn't have pop-ups (Like the old RCU), and I could watch the same show there, I would. I can go elsewhere, and talk to you guys (or those that I talk to anyway) so if I have to put up with the ads, I'll do just that. It's my choice, why would you flame me for that? Real classy of you.

"You won't be missed?"

Again, a real classy discussion there.

If there wasn't enough money before, will the advertisers pay more for the full page redirects? I don't know anything about that stuff. But there is competition out there.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:26 AM
RSprinkel

Default Re: You GO CHUCK!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gordo-plast
[B]
Originally posted by RSprinkel
Gordon,

Simple question how do you avoid the ads that are on TV and the radio? You also pay for them too in the long run.

I never said any different. I figure, if there were a station that didn't have pop-ups (Like the old RCU), and I could watch the same show there, I would. I can go elsewhere, and talk to you guys (or those that I talk to anyway) so if I have to put up with the ads, I'll do just that. It's my choice, why would you flame me for that? Real classy of you.

Ok Gordon, I must have mis-read into your statement and for that I apologize . Had no intention of flaming you directly. Just alittle upset that everyone is belly-aching about the ads. Just alot of people won't give Marc the Credit he deserves for trying to improve a great site into an even greater site for all of us to enjoy at a small price if you can't deal with the ads.

Again, Gordon I apologize.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:27 AM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

I agree with Chuck, I would rather pay for the old RCU than the new one. It was too much like a mixture of RCairport and ebay and not nearly enough RCU. No everyone is like me, but I prefer the simple methods on the old to the features and methods of the new one. I guess I will have to get used to it though, seeing as I am additcted to RCU... I am not opposed to paying for the site, just don't like the new format.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:33 AM
Steve Guinn

If the full page ads stay, I'm outta here too. This is not a threat, as my leaving will not end the universe.

Was a great site.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:39 AM
Larry Eddy
My Feedback: (24)

Default Re: if it ain't broke...

Originally posted by vasek
DON'T FIX IT!

i am afraid the good old times when there were chat rooms with friendly people is over

move over good friend - the big bucks are here!

for the price of a pizza slice, you wont' get full screen adds?

and this is for my own good?

GIMME A BREAK!

you won't sell this cr*p to me
Wow, if we didn't try to advance society, we would all still be living in log cabins, wearing shoes made out of furs, have no running water, no electricity and would have to take a 'dump' under a tree somewhere. Society grows with advancement. If we live by the 'If it ain't broke, Don't fix it', we wouldn't have computers with internet access and then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Life is about change, growth and moving on!

Society grows, changes and moves on. Now days if you don't build it someone else will. RCU has always been focused on its members and always will.

The RCU train hit a couple bumps in the track tonight, but I know it will continue to roll FASTER and smoother. So either get on the train......................... or get left in the 'If it ain't broke.........................
Old 07-23-2003, 02:40 AM
MikeL

The sky is falling!

Some of y'all really need to relax, and withhold judgement until you've experienced the new site as it is intended to be experienced. Worse than that are those who are spreading misinformation. What's the purpose of such activities?
Old 07-23-2003, 02:41 AM
lnorris
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by ChuckAuger
Shoot, if you want some money, don't blackmail us with THAT thing, just tell me what it will cost to keep THAT thing from coming back!! [/B]
LOL...
Old 07-23-2003, 02:49 AM
dunk-RCU

Ok I know better than to say something.... but stupid old me will.

I agree with Marc's statement about support.... it cost money to do anything around a server. If you don't want the damn ads just pay the small bucks compared to what we each spend on our hobby... and get ride of them...

And as a small contributor previously... how many of the ones complaining contributed even a buck previously....

Well I said I would get into this complaining but I did.... give it a chance and then if you don't want the ads that pay the cost pay your low buck.... get with-it its less than a so so bottle of wine...
Old 07-23-2003, 03:08 AM
Steve Guinn

A banner ad that I can choose to click on (and I do click on many of them) is one thing, but don't be redirecting me. That is as bad as a telemarketer at supper time. Really pi$$#* me off.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:17 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Steve, that's what I was thinkin', couldn't seem to get it down on paper (er.....electrons)

Hey, just noticed your Sig, I might have to add some Buffett stuff too. As a matter of fact, think I might have another margarita.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.