Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Go to jail for flying RC airplanes in Stigler, Oklohoma

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Go to jail for flying RC airplanes in Stigler, Oklohoma

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 10:57 AM
AraTidwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go to jail for flying RC airplanes in Stigler, Oklohoma

Hi,

My name is Ara Tidwell and I have never made a post here in the clubhouse. I usually only chat about techinal specifics. But last night I had a rather interesting run-in. You see, I just moved to Stigler, OK about a week ago and found my self welcome to fly RC at the Stigler airport by the main property owner there. [A policeman] did a normal patrol of the area driving up to the airport and turning around last night. He had so little interest he just waived and drove off before I was able to get anything in the air to show off.

Now what happened two hours later was a little more interesting. There is an old modeler in town that literally said I might be able to get a girlfriend if I go to the local hang-out and show off my airplanes. I didn't buy this but I figured for giggles I would go show off my airplanes while everyone is pimping their trucks and cars. I spoke to these two girls in a Mitsubishi (spelling)... Asked them some basic questions to see if they were trouble makers and then offered to show off my airplanes by starting my 91 size reactor biplane and taxying my eletric ducted fan Habu. They were impressed and left.

Somehow word made round there was a strange guy doing RC airplanes and possibly looking for drugs. As I said I was trying to see what kind of trouble they were getting into, since it looked kind of shady and this was questioned by me. I had said "So ya'll just sit here, don't race, don't do drugs, etc... and just sit here". They claimed that they or others did do drugs and I inquired into what kind of drugs. They replied cocaine, pot and methamphetamine. I asked where they got that stuff and they said "Mostly Arkansas". I asked them if they had ever heard of Mena Arkansas and suggested they look at the Clinton Chronicles on Youtube for some interesting government/political drug smuggling stories. I was not looking for dope but I was showing them my RC airplanes. They were pretty girls and they seemed to think it was rather interesting.

Anyhow as [the policeman] had driven up I was about to hand launch my 1.2 ounce eletric 4-site. He pulled me in my car and we quickly cleared up the drug misunderstanding however he did tell me I was not allowed to fly my ANY of my RC airplanes in the city limits, even the 1.2 ounce eletric 4-site. Not even at the park or in a school yard. He asked me if I wanted to be read the statue and I said "sure" then he tried to claim I was being argumentative and that I was to do as told and if he told me I couldn't fly I can't fly.

So 30 minutes later I drive to the police station to show them my 1.2 ounce Horizon Hobby 4-site. He puts me back in his office, raises his voice and tell's me that if I argue with him I better plan on staying there (as he was going to put me in jail). He said if I went back and flew my airplane I would either be written a citation or arrested. I tried to explain I had liability insurance he did not care. I asked him for a business card he refused and told me to get out. I explained that I felt very unwelcome because of his attitude and I no longer wished to live in Stigler and I might be moving and that NO OFFICER IN TEXAS would ever treat a citizen the way he treated me.

So I called the AMA on his ass... left a 3 minute message explaining my self leaving one reference with a fellow modeler. I assume they will get back to me on Tuesday.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:55 AM
outdoorhunting

Default RE: Go to jail for flying RC airplanes in Stigler, Oklohoma

Sounds to me ya got hooked up to some good ole boys, (rednecks with guns & a badge.) Also, they might all be closley related, ( his cousin might be his wife.) I think I'd just relax for a while & see what happens. I really don't think AMA could do a thing to help you. However, if you make to big of a deal out of it, have you heard the saying "ya can't fight city hall?) Maybe look around & find a local club to fly with. Good Luck
Old 07-03-2010, 12:13 PM
AraTidwell

THREATNING TO TAKE SOMEONE TO JAIL IS SERIOUS!!!!!! Go to jail first, bond out $$$ and fight later... yah right.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Silent-AV8R

I posted this on another website:

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune with the local law enforcement folks. However, I am not clear on what you think the AMA is going to do. Here is what I predict they will tell you:

It is each member's responsibility to make certain that you are in compliance with all local laws, regulations, and ordinances.

For example, here in wonderful southern California it is illegal to fly a model airplane in any County park in Orange County or any City or County park in Los Angeles except is designated areas. Many other cities and counties have similar laws across the country. For instance, in Tampa, FL where there was recently an accident where a RC heli hit a girl in the head, it is against the City laws to fly RC in any park.

I suggest you actually research to see if such a law exists in your new hometown. If it does, then you of course will need to comply. I would then tart to work on changing it.

Oh, and for the record, I strongly suggest that you remove the phone number you posted and the request that people call and give Officer Lockwood a piece of their mind. While I understand your frustration, this action may constitute harassment of a law officer. Not something you want to do.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:01 PM
AraTidwell

The cop was being a bully and making up non existant laws, refusing to read the statue he offered and threatening to put me in jail. A complete classic bad cop mentality. There is no law prohibiting the flight of RC however the threat to put me in jail was a real threat.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Silent-AV8R

I guess we'll carry this discussion out in multi-forum mode. From my post on another forum:

Have you actually confirmed that no such law exists ? If it indeed does not, then I would lodge a complaint with the police department or even the city council.

The cop not reading you the law does not mean the law does not exist. You need to find out for yourself what the law actually is at the location you were flying.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Tarasdad

ORIGINAL: AraTidwell

...NO OFFICER IN TEXAS would ever treat a citizen the way he treated me.
In short, BS! I've known plenty of law enforcement officers in Texas who would treat you just the same way, only they would have followed through and locked you up. Sounds very much to me as if you were being argumentative, which can easily be charged as obstruction of justice and/or resisting arrest. Thank your lucky stars that you didn't end up enjoying the hospitality of the city jail. As for calling the AMA and expecting a callback...well, don't hold your breath. There's jack all they can do for you except tell you to READTHEAMASAFETYCODE!

I really hope you're not a native Texan. If you are please stop making the rest of us look like arrogant berks.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:34 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

So the cop apparently knows that you fly your planes at the airport, and that it's not against the city code to do that. He presumably knows that it is against the city code to fly them elsewhere in the city. You're hanging out with a bad crowd, asking them about what drugs they do and where they get them. Somebody rats on you for that, and the cop gives you a warning about the planes. You argue with him, rather than accept the warning and move on. Then you go to his place of business and challenge him.
Stupid. Just plain stupid.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:23 PM
AraTidwell

What I posted on another forum... Me asking girls what kind of drugs they do has nothing to do with it really....

I was just trying to see what if any trouble they were into.. I guess I didn't have to tell them about Mena Arkansas and the Clinton chronicles however they didn't have to voulnteer that people around there do drugs. I was really wondering what those people were up too. Me, I don't do drugs don't want too but those girls said people around there do cocaine, meth and pot. But bottom line, if I questioned them about their drug use and I was mistaken for looking for dope.... THAT IS BESIDE THE POINT... I told the cop what the girls told me and he laughed and said I was OK... Then he has to tell me I can't fly my airplane, even the micro eletric... I ask what law says that and he starts giving me major attitude... BECAUSE THERE IS NO LAW HE JUST WANTED TO BE BOSS.

As for Tarasdad... You sound like a crooked cop your self. I am a 6th generation native texan born in Travis County TX. I have had nothing but positive run-ins with the State Troopers, Travis County Sherrif's and Austin Police Department. I even got caught on my motorcycle doing 140mph in a 45mph zone on laser and just got a ticket / warning that if he saw me again doing that he would take me to jail. This was on a motorcycle no doubt. but reguardless...

Tarasdad... I WAS NOT BREAKING THE LAW. A police officer cannot make up a law saying you cannot wear pink shirts or he will arrest you. This is essentially what he was doing. Tarasdad, you need to take a class in civil liberties. A good police officer always gives reason behind his words, as a good logical lecture often means a lot more than a simple citation or a more serious arrest. God tarasdad, I really hope you are not a law enforcment officer. People like you and Lockwood should not carry badges. You cannot arrest someone for laws that do not exist. I am going to file an offical complaint and I am going to have the AMA that I have been a member of 13 of the last 16 years help settle this.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:24 PM
AraTidwell

Remember I was flying an airplane that WEIGHS 1.2 OUNCES WITH BATTERY!!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Silent-AV8R

You keep saying that you broke no law, yet you also never say how you know that. Have, in fact, checked the local city codes to see what if any laws are on the books? Or are you simply assuming that no such law exists because the cop did not quote chapter and verse to you?
Old 07-03-2010, 06:50 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rule #1 - Never argue with a police officer.

Rule #2 - NEVER ARGUE WITH A POLICE OFFICER!!!!!

It doesn't matter who is right and who is wrong. Even if he is unquestionably breaking the law, just "yes Sir" him to death and report him to his superiors later. (Unless you're in Oklahoma, Texas, Missisippi, etc. or his superiors just might throw you in jail too.)

And if all else fails, remember rule #3:

NEVER ARGUE WITH A POLICE OFFICER!!!!!

PS, do not post names or phone numbers here in the forums. I am the Police here on RCU and, whule I can't send you to jail, I WILL make you play by the rules here.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:52 PM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Rule #2 - NEVER ARGUE WITH A POLICE OFFICER!!!!!

It doesn't matter who is right and who is wrong. Even if he is unquestionably breaking the law, just ''yes Sir'' him to death and report him to his superiors later. (Unless you're in Oklahoma, Texas, Missisippi, etc. or his superiors just might throw you in jail too.)

And if all else fails, remember rule #3:

NEVER ARGUE WITH A POLICE OFFICER!!!!!

love it, live it.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Lorduss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

asking about drugs actually has alot to do with it, the cop may or may not have made up that rule, but what self respecting officer wants kids in town asking OTHER kids about drugs?
i know plenty of true honest idiots with bad intentions that dont do drugs, i know plenty of good people who do, asking anyone something like that is just a bad idea.
its generally a good idea to cops to drive away bad people any way they can legally, once you started arguing you threw what legal aspects were on your side out of the window, your size or airplane or the existance of a law that may or may not exist realy does not matter, all you had to do during your obvious argument was ask what city code prohibits it in a polite and calm manner no matter how loud he gets, your going to get your self throw in jail not for flying RC airplanes but for being an idiot.

And how old are you? to no offence you sound very young, reguardless of age you have to be wise about things, find a peacefull and non-argumentive resolve, find another officer and ask him about such law, what code, does it realy exist etc, then go from there in a proper manner.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:03 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ara,

First thing here, it's important to remember that you have left the boundaries of the Republic of Texas, where, if I think you are threatening me, my home and/or my family, I may legally shoot you down, and then fill out 30 minutes of paperwork before I leave the Police Department for home. Your inalienable rights are different now. For instance, when a cop looks mean and angry, you have the right to show enough common sense to shut the heck up and let him yell at you like he's your high-school coach and you just threw to the opposing team.
People are all different, and as cops are all people (usually), they are all different. You don't know what those girls told him. You don't know how deep you stepped in it with your probing with that crowd. Why would you ask anybody such questions? Would you call that smart?
You don't know if they have the right to hold you for 3 days for questioning in OK, like they can in most states. They can hold you for 71 3/4 hours, ask you who your Mom is, where you're from, etc. and then when you answer those questions, they can say; "You can go." No harm, no foul, they had the right. And you just lost 3 days that you'll never get back.
After that, don't be surprised the next time you see him and start to open your mouth if he interrupts you with; "Care to go for double or nothing?" Some towns and counties give cops incredible power, and let them get the job done their own way. Not saying Stigler is like that, but can you honestly say they're not? You have to LIVE there from now on, Ara.
You really need to calm down...right now. You need to keep a civil tongue in your head, and you're not going to like this; You need to go and talk with him and apologize, and tell him that the two of you seemed to get off on the wrong foot, and that you meant nothing by it all. Expect him to take a verbal shot or two to test your sincerity. Rather than letting your temper run you again, respond by acting a bit embarrassed by it all and smiling and shaking your head (aww, shucks....). Shouldn't be that big a stretch, and a little crow now now tastes better than a whole lot later on.
He'll respect you for it, just because you respected him. Cops don't have an easy job, they like respect.
Think about it a while Ara, you're at a crossroads right now. The path you choose will make all the difference.
In the future, if you feel you really must have a confrontation with them, hire a lawyer and let the lawyer give you guidance, and he'll probably settle things in a much better fashion. 50 bucks to have a lawyer write a letter beats the heck out of having somebody breathing down your neck every day you live there from now until you move out. Besides, the lawyer can give you "life advice" on the town and the cops, and he'll know the laws.
Best of luck, Ara. I'm betting that you can do it.

~ Jim ~
Old 07-03-2010, 09:56 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Besides, doesn't etiquette dictate waiting at least until the third date before discussing methamphetamine?
Old 07-03-2010, 10:02 PM
aerofly0610

Yes because we live in a police state and citizens no longer have any rights..... seriously just get a lawyer to handle it
Old 07-03-2010, 10:12 PM
AraTidwell

We do not live in a police state, SOME DO... Oklahoma/Stigler is obviously one. Central Texas, with the exception of Williamson County is not one. I have the utmost respect for Texas State Troopers, Travis County Sherrif's office and the Austin Police Department. The officer and department determine if we live in a "police state" or not. GO LIBERAL'S!!!! Anyhow... I've seen good conseratives as well... Some do their job well and are very good at the psychological aspect of their job, others abuse it. I suppose this is sometimes prone to small towns.

Thanks for your works TexasSkyPilot I read them well.

PS I am 27 years old on the 16th of July and I have been in the hobby since age 11. I I have had a lot of experience with police riding my sport motorcycles. 90% of the police officers I have come in contact with have been outstanding.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First lesson my Dad taught me as a teenager is you never argue with a police officer, it will only get you into trouble. If you think you been wronged go before a judge and argue your case there.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:21 PM
AraTidwell

Well this happened to be the assistant chief I had a problem with. So I will see how that goes. Where I am from, us citizens are the customers and clients of the police. They work for us and in our favor unless we are breaking the law, and sometimes it is in the best interest of all to find solutions other than citations or arrest such as a well thought out lecture or just a few words of wisdom. My favorite cop line "Now you boy's don't be getting in any trouble, allright, I would hate to have to come out here again and do something I don't want to have to do. Have a good night fella's"... That does a lot more than threatning to arrest someone for something THAT IS NOT ILLEGAL just because the man says so... As for the girls.... They were flusy's weary of an out of towner, and I was weary of the crowd since it seemed shady... And if you really want to know we talked about the Cocaine smuggling in Mena and LSD... But the drugs are besides the point, no one broke the law, no one did any drugs... I was just scoping them out to see if they were as shadey as they seemed they may be and they started off telling me there are a lot of drugs around there so I made small talk and asked questions. Appearantly they thought I may had been interested, I don't know but me and the police officer Lockwood cleared the matter up as a simple misunderstanding of strangers... Then he goes on to tell me not to fly any of my airplanes in the city limits and refuses to read me the statue saying I cannot and says him telling me not too is enough. I go back to the station and he claims EVEN IN THE PARKS OR BASEBALL FIELDS I cannot fly a 1.2 ounce micro eletric. I asked multiple times what law there was prohibiting such and he said if I want to test it out I better plan on going to jail. AHOLE!!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 10:46 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I am the Police here on RCU and, whule I can't send you to jail, I WILL make you play by the rules here.
I'm going to back up what Minnflyer has said in that we AREthe police here on RCU. We have allowed this thread to continue to run even though some (including the OP) have gotten a bit disrespectfull here. Our rules don't specifically cover that, but they do cover foul or inappropriate language. This also includes apprviated, misspelled, or any other means of bypassing the forum's language filters. RCUis first and foremost a family friendly website and our Community Rules WILL be respected. I've had to remove some posts for this reason. If members cannot discuss the issue here without resorting to using inappropriate language then I would recommend that they refrain from entering into the discussion.Because this type of language will not be tolerated here on RCU.

Ken
Old 07-03-2010, 11:04 PM
aerofly0610

RC nazi, no flying for you next!
Old 07-03-2010, 11:27 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

The OP is pretty lucky that MinnFlyer edited out the officer's name and phone number.  I *am* a lawyer, and I wouldn't want to be advocating the harassment of a local cop online.  There are smart ways to do things and stupid ways to do things.  A DA probably wouldn't have too much trouble finding a charge or two to prosecute just in what was written.  Asking for trouble is never a good idea.  Getting a local cop irritated is certainly not a good idea, either.

At 27, you should know this stuff.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:45 PM
crustychief

You say you are 27 years old, but from reading your posts I have my doubts that you are even 18. You made a statement "go liberals" yet you do not like to be told what to do?
Old 07-04-2010, 12:27 AM
AraTidwell

Well this happened to be the assistant chief I had a problem with. So I will see how that goes. Where I am from, us citizens are the customers and clients of the police. They work for us and in our favor unless we are breaking the law, and sometimes it is in the best interest of all to find solutions other than citations or arrest such as a well thought out lecture or just a few words of wisdom. My favorite cop line "Now you boy's don't be getting in any trouble, allright, I would hate to have to come out here again and do something I don't want to have to do. Have a good night fella's"... That does a lot more than threatning to arrest someone for something THAT IS NOT ILLEGAL just because the man says so...

As for the girls.... They were flusy's weary of an out of towner, and I was weary of the crowd since it seemed shady... And if you really want to know we talked about the Cocaine smuggling in Mena and LSD... But the drugs are besides the point, no one broke the law, no one did any drugs... I was just scoping them out to see if they were as shadey as they seemed they may be and they started off telling me there are a lot of drugs around there so I made small talk and asked questions. Appearantly they thought I may had been interested, I don't know but me and the police officer cleared the matter up as a simple misunderstanding of strangers... Then he goes on to tell me not to fly any of my airplanes in the city limits and refuses to read me the statue saying I cannot and says him telling me not too is enough. I go back to the station and he claims EVEN IN THE PARKS OR BASEBALL FIELDS I cannot fly a 1.2 ounce micro eletric. I asked multiple times what law there was prohibiting such and he said if I want to test it out I better plan on going to jail. ...........censored

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.