Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

balancing act

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 12:07 PM
dakotamo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default balancing act

i have a 76 inch wing span corsair. putting a g38 on it. i have no directions for the balance point. anyone have any ideas ? also servo size. i put regular servos in it they seem to be working fine

Old 12-30-2016, 12:42 AM
oliveDrab

I would say the balance point would be at the main wing spar. However, the Corsair has a real long nose on it ... the Corsair was referred to as the "Hose Nose" in WWII because the nose was so long. So you may have to take the extra long fuselage between the wing leading edge and engine into account.

Wikipedia has this to say about the long nose on the full-scale Corsair:
"In order to keep the fuel tank close to the center of gravity, the only available position was in the forward fuselage, ahead of the cockpit. Accordingly, as a 237 gal (897 l) self-sealing fuel tank replaced the fuselage mounted armament, the cockpit had to be moved back by 32 in (810 mm) and the fuselage lengthened."

Which version of the Corsair do you have? Here's what an old RCU thread about the Top Flite Corsair had to say about the Hangar 9 Corsair:
"I am aware of the sensitive CG from a couple of friends that have the H9 version and experienced, in one case, disaster. The other guy was suspicious of Hangar 9's suggested CG, did some investigating, and moved it forward substantially."

Another poster in the same thread said: "Try to keep the weight down and DO NOT FLY it with the slightest suggestion of tail heaviness". Well, that's good advice ... but first you have to know where the CG should actually be before you can remedy any tail heaviness.

Since I have not actually built/owned a Corsair ... I think I better bow out of this conversation and defer to those who have actually built one. But I'm guessing that you'll need to find the location of the wing spar and place the CG somewhere in that vicinity ... possibly between the leading edge and the main spar.

But like I said ... don't listen to me too much! I could be totally mistaken!

As for servo's I would use Hitec 645MG's. What servo's did you install in the plane?

Good luck!
oliveDrab

Last edited by oliveDrab; 12-30-2016 at 02:48 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:27 AM
dakotamo

i used the same servos as you did. im believe the plane is a holman design. i got no plans when i bought it used. ive had it for years and done nothing with it until now. when i bought it i was told it flies great with a zenoah g 38. it will be 16 lbs in the air. everything i read is the cg is on the main spar, like you say. which is 5.75 inches back from the le. one guy had to put 2 lbs of weight in the tail to get the balance. i balance it at 4 inches back from the leading edge, but it just does not seem right.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:16 AM
oliveDrab

DakotaMo

Here's a RCU thread about the Holman (Brian Taylor?) Corsair you may find interesting:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...n-corsair.html
but I don't see any mention of the CG.

Try checking the CG at 4 inches back with the gear retracted. Then try checking the CG at 5.75 inches back with the gear retracted.

oD

Last edited by oliveDrab; 12-30-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:04 AM
dakotamo

thankyou, the plane was built when i got it even the motor mount, they used the same motor im using. but the landing gear does not retract. and the flaps were glued closed so they cant be set up.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:44 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A safe starting point would be to set the CG at 25% of the chord.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:50 PM
dakotamo

thankyou, im waiting on Bob Holman, to contact his friend who has the plans. 25 percent is 4 inches from the leading edge. with that point i would have to add over a pound of weight to balance the plane. you may be right and probably are, but adding that much to the tail doesnt seem right.